IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I do when I take off from a full stop is basically ride the clutch at around 2.5k rpm for 2-3 seconds. I find this to be the smoothest way to get it rolling at a reasonable speed, but I don't want to damage the clutch too badly. I have 2020 STI, and everything is bone stock. Is this bad?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
16 Posts
No. That is how you ride as a normal, sane, everyday driver. Even from 1-2 or 2-3 gear you would "ride the clutch" slightly. If you do not hold the clutch for a moment, then the force goes to your transmission and the ride wouldnt be smooth. It is much better/cheaper to wear out your clutch than your transmission. Your clutch is a replacement part and is meant to used and worn like tires. You wouldnt worry about wearing out your tires by riding on asphalt, then you shouldnt worry about using your clutch in the same logical way.

Also, that is called slipping your clutch. As long as youre not continuously slipping your clutch as youre shifting then you are just putting typical wear and tear on it which is fine and meant to be like that. You will know when you have slipped your clutch too much because it will heat up and burn the friction material on your clutch. You will smell it through your cabin. Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
I do it around 1.5 - 2 k rpm (or at least that's how I was taught) and is sufficient for a smooth roll from complete stop, 2.5k seems a bit too high for me

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
The clutch is a wear part, but replacing one will probably cost $1500 at a shop. Some people get 40k out of em, others the life of the car, most in between.,

For normal driving on level ground, slipping it at a steady 2500 should not be considered normal. Even with ultra-light clutch and flywheel I don't exceed 2k and not steady. Not letting the rpm fall below 2500 at a start in the GD is something I'd do to keep car at bay at a light . . . say in the right lane where that lane will end shortly after the light . . .

how to start.

another

Still haven't found the one I'm looking for . . .

found it :)

Feather you gas pedal, up to 2k. that stores some energy in your flywheel.
Engage clutch as the revs begin to fall.
Feather again to continue.

Should sound like vroom, vroom - (rolling) vrooOOM . . .

This is almost necessary for a normal start in a "raw car". It can be done with a low rpm clutch slip, but thats not a normal start you want to use in traffic.

from (69) Transmission/Drivetrain - Engaging the clutch, rev drop | IW STi Forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
2500rpm is pretty hot on the clutch for every day driving.

To help build this slill I suggest you find a big empty lot and practice taking off with no throttle applied, just feathering the clutch. Also, turn off the “hill-holder” feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you guys :) so, it's mostly just the rpm that's the issue? i.e. slipping at 1500-2000 for 2-3 seconds should be okay?

·
Premium Member
5,933 Posts
Read through the links I posted?

Edited slightly:

Feather your gas pedal, up to 2k, typical 1600 to 1800 rpm to store some energy in your flywheel.
Engage clutch as you let off the gas and the revs begin to fall.
You'll begin to roll and you rpm will drop to sy 1100 or 1200 and you apply gas again to continue.

Should sound like vroom, vroom - (rolling) vrooOOM . . .

This is almost necessary for a normal start in a "raw car". It can be done with a low rpm clutch slip, but thats not a normal start you want to use in traffic."

Reactions: JFAZ and kwk011

·
Registered
197 Posts
Technically, we all are "riding the clutch" from the moment it makes contact with flywheel to complete engagement. I will like to add one more thing too that I don't think it has been mentioned as of yet, is to turn your Hill Assist feature off for a more natural feel, especially if you are a long time user of the manual transmission. The feature, not perfected yet, can hold you in place longer than you needed to which promotes excessive wear on the clutch. This is subjective, but try it and see what your preference is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Technically, we all are "riding the clutch" from the moment it makes contact with flywheel to complete engagement. I will like to add one more thing too that I don't think it has been mentioned as of yet, is to turn your Hill Assist feature off for a more natural feel, especially if you are a long time user of the manual transmission. The feature, not perfected yet, can hold you in place longer than you needed to which promotes excessive wear on the clutch. This is subjective, but try it and see what your preference is.
i hate this feature and had to turn it off as soon as i found out you could.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, I kinda need the hill assist for now.. Still very much learning here..

Btw guys, it sounds like everyone's in agreement that I am unnecessarily damaging the clutch, but why is it that I don't smell the burnt clutch? Does this mean that, even if i don't smell anything burning, i could be causing unnecessary wear?

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
16 Posts
Unfortunately, I kinda need the hill assist for now.. Still very much learning here..

Btw guys, it sounds like everyone's in agreement that I am unnecessarily damaging the clutch, but why is it that I don't smell the burnt clutch? Does this mean that, even if i don't smell anything burning, i could be causing unnecessary wear?
You are not damaging the clutch where it is considered bad. You are just putting more wear on the clutch than needed. You wont burn your clutch unless you really mess up.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You're on the right track. The drivetrain is a bit "stiff" on these cars and it can be difficult to be smooth. I've had mine for nine years and I still stalled it a while back trying to drive extra smoothly with some guests in the car. The extra 450 lbs was enough to throw me off, and I do have an aftermarket clutch but it's not that much worse than stock.

Once you get more comfortable with the car and the basics, you can learn to incorporate the hand brake as needed. Don't head straight for a big hill - find a very mild grade where your car would roll very very slowly if it was in neutral with no brakes. Turn off the hill assist during your practice sessions, you can turn it back on afterward until you get the hang of it. You basically want to use just enough pressure on the handbrake (with the button held in) to hold your car in place, and then gently ease off the handbrake as the clutch starts to catch and propel the car forward.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sounds like you still have hill assist on, holding to 2.5K to take off its alot. My take off is usually around 1.2k or so but i dont use hill assist. I turned that crap off day 1 when i got the car home.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I can start off with no throttle at all, just let clutch slowly out in 1st. Also, 2nd gear starts Work well too. My car is VERY responsive in S# post stage 1 protune, where I will accidentally rev it a bit too much when starting off in 1st and have bogged and stalled on occasion. Putting it in S dials it back a bit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts