IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I've been thinking of getting an STI for a very long time now, and I've been "lurking" on iwsti for a few months now (haven't posted anything until today). Great forum, btw.

However, I currently have a BMW 530d with the complete M sport package, and it can be a little unforgiving/hard driving around town. It feels like I'm hurting the car on very bad road (they are everywhere in Copenhagen). I figure the harsh ride is attributed to the M suspension combined with my wheels which are 19 inches 235/35 (not a lot of rubber there).

Would you guys say the STI (in stock form) would feel *much* more bumpy (when challenged with potholes, etc) than my current ride? Anyhow, I figured it may not be a major issue for me in the end, since my daily commute to and from work (85 miles in total) is 90% freeway. At the same time I won't mind if the STI has more tire/road noise, wind noise, etc than the BMW.

I really like the different looks of the STI. So unique. Where I live everybody seems to be driving BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Volvos and Saabs. I have actually only seen a single STI on the roads in my life (never seen one on Danish plates (saw an WRX once, though) and only a single STI ('03 I think) in Sweden). Not kidding. They are rare around here.

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
Hello there Copenhagen. :) I believe the US and Euro STi's do not have identical suspension setups, but for the sake of this discussion let's assume they are similar enough. I would say that if you are encountering a lot of serious potholes you will soon wish you had something more compliant than the stock STi struts. If it is similar to here in Pennsylvania, and the serious potholes are less frequent -- but the overall road conditions are pretty lousy -- you should find the stock suspension liveable. The big complaint about the stock setup is the 'bobblehead' effect, not harshness per se.

·
Registered
335 Posts
wdb said:
Hello there Copenhagen. :) I believe the US and Euro STi's do not have identical suspension setups, but for the sake of this discussion let's assume they are similar enough. I would say that if you are encountering a lot of serious potholes you will soon wish you had something more compliant than the stock STi struts. If it is similar to here in Pennsylvania, and the serious potholes are less frequent -- but the overall road conditions are pretty lousy -- you should find the stock suspension liveable. The big complaint about the stock setup is the 'bobblehead' effect, not harshness per se.
I wonder if the "bobblehead effect" would be as bad on a stock euro spec car. Don't those cars already come with the jdm pink springs?

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
neal0124 said:
I wonder if the "bobblehead effect" would be as bad on a stock euro spec car. Don't those cars already come with the jdm pink springs?
that actually depends more on the seats than the suspension when your talking about the "bobblehead" effect. The stock sti seat springrs are really, well, springy.

Anyways, i think the ride would be fairly similar to your 5 series, but probably harsher. If you were willing to put about 2k into your suspension, you could get upgraded struts which would really improve ride quallity. I'm also assuming this is going to be a road car only, no track days?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The STI suspension with 17's & RE070's is stiffer then my 06 M3 suspension with 19's. However the STI feels lighter and more nimble through the turns then the M3.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fixed Perch Ohlins

dannemare said:
Hi everybody,

I've been thinking of getting an STI for a very long time now, and I've been "lurking" on iwsti for a few months now (haven't posted anything until today). Great forum, btw.

However, I currently have a BMW 530d with the complete M sport package, and it can be a little unforgiving/hard driving around town. It feels like I'm hurting the car on very bad road (they are everywhere in Copenhagen). I figure the harsh ride is attributed to the M suspension combined with my wheels which are 19 inches 235/35 (not a lot of rubber there).

Would you guys say the STI (in stock form) would feel *much* more bumpy (when challenged with potholes, etc) than my current ride? Anyhow, I figured it may not be a major issue for me in the end, since my daily commute to and from work (85 miles in total) is 90% freeway. At the same time I won't mind if the STI has more tire/road noise, wind noise, etc than the BMW.

I really like the different looks of the STI. So unique. Where I live everybody seems to be driving BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Volvos and Saabs. I have actually only seen a single STI on the roads in my life (never seen one on Danish plates (saw an WRX once, though) and only a single STI ('03 I think) in Sweden). Not kidding. They are rare around here.

There is your answer...the ultimate de-rattle mod.
:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
UDSALG! ;)

I wont forget Coperhagen....ever.

Anyways... the reason you probably dont see alot of STIs is how expensive they are, especially in Denmark after taxes. Makes our STIs seem like a screaming bargain on a Toyota Yaris. I figure that if folks are going to pay $100k for an STI, they probably want something a little flashier than a Subaru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts