Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
181 - 200 of 716 Posts

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
monkiboy-

anyway it is possible to use an aftermarket fob like the one in the OP video with the advancedkey system? not a fan of the rfid card

·
Registered
345 Posts
monkiboy-

anyway it is possible to use an aftermarket fob like the one in the OP video with the advancedkey system? not a fan of the rfid card
sure but it'd be DIY and probably not worth the hassle. i carry my OEM fob around now without keys as i dont have the RFID keyless entry anymore. i got to say, that i much prefer the svelte slim design of the the card over a key fob that is thick and cumbersome. even the OEM fob that is relatively slim is kind of annoying on one's person.

i'm interested in testing the new system out for comparison, though. and am curious about the CAN communication and implementation of the RFID antennas and signal reliability. RFID is not a simple system to get right.

my initial gut is that if i'm already being forced to push a button on a handle AND carry a bulky fob, why not just carry the OEM fob which is thinner and not have to worry about pressing a button. if i'm going to be pressing a button anyway(handle button), i mean why not just do that before getting to the door via fob?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
When I saw the amount of pages of this thread and the date it was created, I looked about 5 times to see if it was real lol. Great feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
sure but it'd be DIY and probably not worth the hassle. i carry my OEM fob around now without keys as i dont have the RFID keyless entry anymore. i got to say, that i much prefer the svelte slim design of the the card over a key fob that is thick and cumbersome. even the OEM fob that is relatively slim is kind of annoying on one's person.

i'm interested in testing the new system out for comparison, though. and am curious about the CAN communication and implementation of the RFID antennas and signal reliability. RFID is not a simple system to get right.

my initial gut is that if i'm already being forced to push a button on a handle AND carry a bulky fob, why not just carry the OEM fob which is thinner and not have to worry about pressing a button. if i'm going to be pressing a button anyway(handle button), i mean why not just do that before getting to the door via fob?
So Monkiboy what happens if your car battery dies? since you only carry the factory fob how do you get into your car? the small fob that comes with the easy go system has a cut key inside so you can always gain access to the car...its not HUGE like you try to make it out to be you cant even feel it inside your pocket...well unless you wear skinny jeans lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
So Monkiboy what happens if your car battery dies? since you only carry the factory fob how do you get into your car? the small fob that comes with the easy go system has a cut key inside so you can always gain access to the car...its not HUGE like you try to make it out to be you cant even feel it inside your pocket...well unless you wear skinny jeans lol
if my car battery completely dies then i use the OEM key to get into the car. if you have a dead battery you are going to know it the second you walk out the house in the morning on your to work.

i'm glad to hear it doesn't seem that large to you. you have been able to use it and deal with it a lot more than i have, so i value your opinion. i based my opinion on what i saw at CES at the gryphon booth but have not handled it like you have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was reading through the thread and couldn't find how the cylinder lock would be bypassed. I did read somewhere that the ignition harness would be disconnected but does that mean we would still need to have a shaved off key inside the keyhole in order for the steering wheel lock to be disengaged?

I guess you can also remove the spring or duct tape the switch like in monkiboy's DIY thread.

I am definitely interested in this system that the OP is testing. Sub'd to this thread for sure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
if my car battery completely dies then i use the OEM key to get into the car. if you have a dead battery you are going to know it the second you walk out the house in the morning on your to work.

i'm glad to hear it doesn't seem that large to you. you have been able to use it and deal with it a lot more than i have, so i value your opinion. i based my opinion on what i saw at CES at the gryphon booth but have not handled it like you have.
Thanks, for your comments in this thread. I do think it is important to let people know there are other options out there. Information is important and I hope you continue to post in here as this product comes to market. I will be looking into both of these options to see which one sits with me better.

I do agree, I'm not a fan of the buttons on the door handle as I would rather have my car unlock as my presence gets within a certain radius. I live in CO, so having a remote start would be fantastic. If it has the remote start capability, would it have the sensor to detect the car is in neutral and parking brake is on before attempting to start it? I can see a few idiots not thinking about keeping their car in neutral.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks, for your comments in this thread. I do think it is important to let people know there are other options out there. Information is important and I hope you continue to post in here as this product comes to market. I will be looking into both of these options to see which one sits with me better.

I do agree, I'm not a fan of the buttons on the door handle as I would rather have my car unlock as my presence gets within a certain radius. I live in CO, so having a remote start would be fantastic. If it has the remote start capability, would it have the sensor to detect the car is in neutral and parking brake is on before attempting to start it? I can see a few idiots not thinking about keeping their car in neutral.
thank you for the comment - it is appreciated, sir.

yes, in order the remote start to function on the advancedkeys system, one must have left the car in neutral and the parking brake engaged. i think this is an industry standard.

·
Registered
506 Posts
thank you for the comment - it is appreciated, sir.

yes, in order the remote start to function on the advancedkeys system, one must have left the car in neutral and the parking brake engaged. i think this is an industry standard.
I know that you need it in neutral and have the parking brake engaged, what I am asking is if the remote start will not attempt to start the vehicle if it sense that both are not set?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know that you need it in neutral and have the parking brake engaged, what I am asking is if the remote start will not attempt to start the vehicle if it sense that both are not set?
yes, the advancedkeys system will not attempt to start the vehicle if it senses that both are not set.

181 - 200 of 716 Posts