IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings and the TiC rear diff mount bushings on my '04 yesterday. Overall, the install was fairly straightforward even for a novice like myself. The diff mount bushings were done in under an hour. The steering rack bushings would have been reasonably simple.... My advice to anyone doing this install is reiterate that you should be VERY careful with the bolts! My install was severely complicated by a recalcitrant bolt that decided to become a broken bolt. If it takes 30 min of working the bolt in and out and spraying with PB Blast, then that's better than the hours of drilling, grinding, and then tapping the hole for a larger bolt.

Once complete, however, I was thrilled with the increased responsiveness in my steering. Memory steer is gone, and I feel more connected to the road. The diff mount bushings fixed the clunk that I sometimes experienced under heavy acceleration. I do not find any noticable increase in NVH from either mod. Both mods are easy enough for just about anyone with the right tools, and both are worth the time and small amount of money they cost.

·
Registered
451 Posts
i plan on ordering these along with the rest of the bushings im missing next week, now when you say memory steer is gone, what are you referrin to?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i've attempted to put mine in but the damn bolts are stiff as hell...so i backed off and still thinking of a better way to take em out...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Memory steer is when you turn to one direction and then rapidly turn back to center, or to the other direction. With memory steer, the steering wheel will be off center when you turn back. Its the feeling of "laggy" steering.

I got the other bolt, which was just as stiff, with no problems by working it in and out about 20 times as far as it would go, spraying with blast every time I changed direction.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I did the bushing install I ended up retapping for a larger bolt also. What a pain in the ass! Total stupidity that caused the problem.

In the end though I love the difference. One specific curve in my neck of the woods comes to mind, a right sweeper with a nice change in level, very bumpy. So much easier to keep a line now, the old bushings were just garbage.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
This was one of my first mods. Nice difference and would def recommend them to anyone. I have an 06 so I was fortunate that nothing had a chance to corrode yet. Took me about 30min to do the install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts