IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to have this installed by my local audio shop in my 2011 Wrx. He has been doing remote installs for 20 years, but is only familiar with viper systems and has not worked with Advanced Keys. Can someone please explain how this system knows when the car is in gear, how it connects, and how the system is disabled when it is parked in gear? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vinh

·
Banned
768 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to have this installed by my local audio shop in my 2011 Wrx. He has been doing remote installs for 20 years, but is only familiar with viper systems and has not worked with Advanced Keys. Can someone please explain how this system knows when the car is in gear, how it connects, and how the system is disabled when it is parked in gear? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vinh
He would need to add in a neutral safety switch or module.

DEI 689M is a neutral safety module that can be used.

·
Banned
768 Posts

Vinh
I just spoke to the shop we use for all the Advanced keys installs and they said system would just need to wired the right way. And if your installer would like to speak to them to call 718-630-5054 and ask for Rocky. He will be in tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just spoke to the shop we use for all the Advanced keys installs and they said system would just need to wired the right way. And if your installer would like to speak to them to call 718-630-5054 and ask for Rocky. He will be in tomorrow morning.
Thank you so much for this!! I have not yet purchased the item yet, but when I do I will be sure to get in touch with my installer and call And ask for Rocky.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm working on this install right now... At this point, I've wired the Neutral Safety to ground so I'm up and running. The Advanced Keys system is looking for a ground signal when the tranny is in neutral but the Neutral wire on STi shows 12v when in gear and floats in neutral i.e. no ground signal.

I'm also asking Advanced Keys the best way to get around this. I'm hoping for an "easy" way vs. getting a relay and creating a ground when there is no 12v signal from the neutral switch, but that is not the end of the world. I'll probably need to wire up a relay for the clutch bypass anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, does anybody have any suggestions on how to disable the factory alarm system on a 2011 WRX? I just had the advanced keys installed in my car, and I love it. however, I have had some conflict between the factory alarm and the advanced keys alarm. If for some reason the key fob is out of reach of the sensors and I close the passenger door (for example), the factory alarm will arm itself, so that when the passenger door is next opened the alarm will sound, although the door lock and unlock features with advanced keys will not be interrupted. I believe disabling the factory system will greatly improve the fiction of this product. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello, does anybody have any suggestions on how to disable the factory alarm system on a 2011 WRX? I just had the advanced keys installed in my car, and I love it. however, I have had some conflict between the factory alarm and the advanced keys alarm. If for some reason the key fob is out of reach of the sensors and I close the passenger door (for example), the factory alarm will arm itself, so that when the passenger door is next opened the alarm will sound, although the door lock and unlock features with advanced keys will not be interrupted. I believe disabling the factory system will greatly improve the fiction of this product. Any suggestions?
I too would like to disable the stock alarm.

For the time being I just make sure that I leave the fob within range of the sensor when opening and closing doors. Also, I find that if you arm the system with the stock remote, or unlock the doors from the inside of the car and the later exit the vehicle, there will be a conflict between the stock alarm and the new keyless entry system

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im contemplating having this installed but now I don't know.

So if I'm in my car and lock it via door panel and later turn off the car and unlock it via door panel...the alarm will go off? This is going off of what sti mtl stated.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Im contemplating having this installed but now I don't know.

So if I'm in my car and lock it via door panel and later turn off the car and unlock it via door panel...the alarm will go off? This is going off of what sti mtl stated.
There is definitely an existing bug in the system, a conflict between the new smy/avanced keys system, and the oem system. The weird part is that bug only occurs sometimes.

That said, the functionality of the system overall, and the rare occasion that this bug occurs,
makes this still a worthwhile upgrade for me after having it for 1 year now. A friend of mine
tried installing the system on a 2015, and I think there were some issues getting it working, so it seems this kit is for the gr alone.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There is definitely an existing bug in the system, a conflict between the new smy/avanced keys system, and the oem system. The weird part is that bug only occurs sometimes.

That said, the functionality of the system overall, and the rare occasion that this bug occurs,
makes this still a worthwhile upgrade for me after having it for 1 year now. A friend of mine
tried installing the system on a 2015, and I think there were some issues getting it working, so it seems this kit is for the gr alone.
With the option of getting keyless entry+push start on the 2015 I would have gotten that from factory. Might be a little more $$$ but worth it.

·
Banned
768 Posts

The kits are universal not car specific.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What's the range for the remote start now that the antenna has been fixed?
The remote start always worked just fine.

Never measured the distance, but its far. Just started it now in the back of my business'

parking lot, and has gotta be 100 feet away at least.

It was the keyless entry that was fixed.

Initially my rear antenna was not connected properly or wasn't sending/receiving a signal.

Now that both the front and rear sensors works, the keyless entry locks/unlocks car at

about 5-10 feet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I had the unit installed. Everything works and is awesome. Slight issue. When I go to remote start, it'll start and shut off, start again and shut off, and again...It did this three times before i disengaged the system.

Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So I had the unit installed. Everything works and is awesome. Slight issue. When I go to remote start, it'll start and shut off, start again and shut off, and again...It did this three times before i disengaged the system.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Sounds like something with the immobilizer or with the neutral safety bypass.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also just installed this system into my car. I have to say I love the system so far. I currently don't have the remote start hooked up.

I'm looking for help finding the neutral safety switch location/wire. I found what looks like a NSS wire coming from one of the ECU harnesses, which appears to respond to shifter position, but it's (+) and goes from ~2v in neutral to 12v when in gear. This wire is indicated in a wiring diagram I found, but says it should be (-). I'd rather not use the e-break wire as others have done; I feel that's keeping a rearing car tied down instead of keeping it from even starting. Either way I'll most likely use a relay for this and to active that clutch bypass. Anyway, anyone's help/experience here would be great.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts