IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought and had installed the kit from SMY, posted a review in my journal and thought I should share it here as well. Enjoy.

SMY Performance Advanced Keys Push Start Button STI and WRX (Universal)

Video that pretty well sums it up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W08b9Hp93Mg

What the kit doesn't say is that you also have to purchase an
immobilzer module like the IDATALINK Module Multi-Platform.

How does it perform so far you ask? Pretty well. I would give it 4.5/5 stars

UPDATED 4/25/2014

Some of the critiques listed below were due to the rear antenna not working;
it had been installed in a spot where no signal was being received.
The rear antenna is now in a proper spot, and the car's range in terms of
detecting when the key is near, has been extended, and is more reponsive.

Remote itself is small and thin:

Pros:
-No more fishing for your keys when you get in, which I love. Hands full? No need
put things down and fumble in your pockets.

-Remote start works reliably/consistently. Have to be pretty far away to be out of range.

-Simply push the nice red STI button to start the car. Don't have to hold down
the brake or clutch. The button itself is very nice, fits perfectly with the bezel and
looks stock. (Because I'm pretty sure it is, in Japan)

-Once you get within 6-7 feet of your car, the fob is detected,
and the doors open. Conversely, when you get out and walk away,
the system will lock the doors and engage the alarm.

-There is also a neutral security feature, which prevents the car from remote
starting if you are in gear. Very important security feature to avoid accidents.

Cons:

-The only reason I give it 4/5, is that there are some annoyances.
For example, if you have your keys in your pocket, stop the car, and
get out while parked to open/get something out of the trunk, the system
will decide you are leaving the vehicle and likely set off the alarm. Have
to leave keys/fob in the driver seat if you intend to open trunk and leave
driver's side door open, like when perhaps loading/unloading groceries.
If you use your car as a DD like I do, there are some new habbits to learn
to avoid unwanted car alarms.

-If you use the old remote to lock the car, it will engage the alarm without
alerting the new SMY System. If you then attempt to remote start your car
afterwards, the alarm will go off (as mine did, discovering just how loud my
new hellas are ) You can use only the new control key if you want to
avoid the car alarm going off.

-The range on the remote start is not the greatest, but it gets the job done.
Will reach at least 30m, probably more, but if you have walls in the way there
might be problems if you are more than 15m from the car.

Conclusion:

Despite some minor issues, I prefer the car with this system vs without.
The push start button is hawt. The ease of access and practicality of the remote
start speak for themselves. Just have to adjust to/be aware of new routine to
avoid car alarm going off. Would be nice if the fob was a little smarter, and only
locked the car/readied the alarm when you were a little further away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It has dual antennas, where did you put your second antenna? If you install it near the back, it should be able to unlock the car near your trunk area.

How much of a pain was the install? That wiring harness looks massive.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has dual antennas, where did you put your second antenna? If you install it near the back, it should be able to unlock the car near your trunk area.

How much of a pain was the install? That wiring harness looks massive.
The second antenna is near the back, unfortunately this does not stop the system from thinking you are walking away when you step out of the car and walk toward the trunk. The range to activate/deactivate the system would have to be extended (to something like 10 feet) to more than the status quo in order to prevent the annoying issues that potentially cause the alarm from going off.

The install was a pain; I did not do it myself, and it took someone who knew what they were doing 5-6 hours to get it done.

·
Banned
768 Posts
You may have not wired the rear antenna well. Try to disconnect and reconnect. I never had that issue you are referring to.

I know how to fix your problem with the alarm going off.
Your installer wired up the system to arm itself when the dome lights go off. Well the dome lights stay on even if you close the door for security reasons i guess from factory.
All you have to do is go to your dealership and have them plug in their computer to the OBD port push a couple buttons and deactivate the dome light feature.
When they do the dome light will automatically shut off when you shut the car off. So when you close the door the system is armed right away.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You may have not wired the rear antenna well. Try to disconnect and reconnect. I never had that issue you are referring to.

I know how to fix your problem with the alarm going off.
Your installer wired up the system to arm itself when the dome lights go off. Well the dome lights stay on even if you close the door for security reasons i guess from factory.
All you have to do is go to your dealership and have them plug in their computer to the OBD port push a couple buttons and deactivate the dome light feature.
When they do the dome light will automatically shut off when you shut the car off. So when you close the door the system is armed right away.
Thnx for the feedback, will check the rear antenna, and apply the dome light fix you are mentioning.

I wonder if it will solve the issue or the car arming and alarm sounding when emptying the groceries from the trunk. If the trunk is open, and I walk away with the key in my pocket, the system will still arm no? potentially setting off the alarm :( Must remember to leave keys in the car, or press the disarm button on the key, which is what causes whats are (i think) the dome lights to blink until you close the car doors+trunk and rearm the car system.

Even if this is still the case, it is an understandable trade off for having a keyless entry system. If you walk away from the car with a door or the trunk open, the system warns you by arming, so that you do close all doors+trunk properly. While this feature is great in the sense that it protects you from leaving something open accidentally, it is a double edged sword in that the car will arm also in the 'removing groceries from the trunk' scenario.

As long as the car does not lock with the keys in the front seat, I see no major issues other than having to get used to leaving the keys in the car if you are emptying groceries, washing the car, or working on the car, which all sound the alarm if you do them without the key in proximity.

It would perhaps be slightly more convenient if the car only armed when you walk away more than 10 feet. It tends to lock and unlock only when basically right at the driver's door.
If the antennas were set to arm or disarm at a radius of 10 feet from the car, it would solve a lot of the daily usage situations that currently arm the system and sound the alarm when you do not wish it so.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so this replaces my compustar? or can they both be in there?
While u might be able to use some of the compustar components (immobilizer module), I would think it would replace the remote start aspect. Would require getting a real pro to answer that question, which I am not.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: The problems have been ironed out. The rear antenna was not functioning properly.
The little square remote, however, is a little flimsy, the plastic bit that allows you to attach to your keychain is VERY thin, mine did not even last a month. Going to look into a beefier remote key case, if that is possible.

Score for the system updated to 4.5 on 5 stars :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
First off, thanks for the detailed review! Especially the problems and the solutions.

Second, are you still carrying around the key and the old remote? Thought this completely replaced both?

Jeff-

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First off, thanks for the detailed review! Especially the problems and the solutions.

Second, are you still carrying around the key and the old remote? Thought this completely replaced both?

Jeff-
My pleasure! The IWSTI community needed a review of this product.

I am still carrying around the old remote and key, for a few reasons.

1-No trunk button on new remote.

2-I like having a good ol' key physically on me, if push comes to shove. If the battery dies on the remote, I accidentally break it, etc etc... Sure I cant even start the car with the key anymore, but at least I can get into the car in a pinch.

3-There seems to be some overlap between the stock car alarm, and the tweaks added by the advanced keys system. The alarm has gone off a couple times, and only the stock remote disabled the alarm. I am pretty sure, however, that this was due to me, or the guys at the car wash, arming the system (out of habit) with the stock remote, which seemingly cannot be disabled with the advanced key remote. Or maybe it can after the recent fix. Will have to check out that scenario. Perhaps me carrying the old remote at all is the source of the conflict between the stock setup and the advanced key remote; accidentally arming it from time to time.

Will conduct a series of test. Once I am 100% sure that the old remote is only creating potential alarm conflicts, I will remove it from the keychain (keeping the physical key just in case), and keep only the advanced keys remote (trunk button be damned)

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The proximity feature, now that both antennas are working properly, is actually pretty sweet. The car opens and locks at seemingly the correct distance, without you ever touching your keys. If you want to open your car, or remote start it, that feature is there too. It's a win win scenario.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't live in LA so can't help u there, but any reputable subaru after market garage who can do sound system or alarm system mods should be able to handle the install

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm working on a DIY Guide for this - but I'm currently finishing off some house projects and moving to California this month so it's a bit delayed. I'm hoping to have it done in about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 STI I currently am trying to get it installed as we speak and got most of everything working except the remote start. My installer can not get the remote start to work. Is there anyway some one can help us out with this issue and Does any one know were the tach wire is located on the 2015 STI?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a 2015 STI I currently am trying to get it installed as we speak and got most of everything working except the remote start. My installer can not get the remote start to work. Is there anyway some one can help us out with this issue and Does any one know were the tach wire is located on the 2015 STI?
Did you get an immobilizer?

Make sure there is the neutral safety feature?

·
Banned
768 Posts
An installer we work with in our area to install these kits for our customers said the TACH wire is by the TMIC. By the TMIC you will find a wiring harness its there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts