IW STi Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Cobb SS a couple days ago and just as I was finishing tapping the pin back thru the whole assembly, I heard an alarming little noise - the allen wrench that was stuck thru the reverse-lockout falling on the garage floor. I was afraid I had missed getting the pin in the cable's hole alltogether but everything seemed to be in order, except that the little collar wouldn't snap back into the down position after selecting Rev. I read all the stuff on here saying that was a common result and thru some tweaking could be fixed. It was late, though, so I figured I'd go back at it in a couple days and just remember to flip the thing down as to not shift from 5th to reverse.....

Anyway, after taking the car to work a couple times, the collar started to pop back down on its own. It fixed itself. Has anyone else experienced this? My procrastination seems to have paid off again.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
Yep.

What happened was this -

In the lever is a lug for the lockout cable. This lug has a hole in it. The roll pin goes through that hole.

when you install the roll pin it pushes the lug against the inside of the lever. This pressure causes enough friction to keep the ring from popping down. After a couple of days it'll loosen against the inside of the lever enough to allow it to return to normal operation.

now, since I'm an instant gratification kind of guy I can't tolerate that. When I install a lever I use a small screwdriver to push the lug off the wall and center it on the pin. I also take a little bit of grease on the end of a q-tip and smear it around inside there just to make sure that everything slides smoothly.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would certainly make sense. I don't think I came across that specific explanation in my searches but I certainly didn't read all of the threads. I had just figured it was due to the length. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts