IW STi Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Been awhile since I updated, so here's what I've missed.

Hung out with Higgins and SRT USA at the Ojibwe Forests Rally

Got some Method MR501 wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports on

Went "Stage 2 Bro" with a Grimmspeed Catless DP, ARK Performance GRiP Catback Exhaust, Innovate Motorsports Wideband, Grimmspeed EBCS, and a tune

My RS was having suspension issues, so I rallycross'd the STI again... on summer tires in the dirt... and still managed to land the 2nd fastest time of the day.

Overall, pretty stoked with the car so far. Really loving the extra power and nice sound from the GRiP exhaust and happy with the overall performance I've been wringing from it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Couple of upgrades before I take her to Ojibwe Forests Rally at the end of the month.

ViS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood went on once we painted it. I left the vents on the sides Carbon Fiber and the whole thing got clear coated.

Untitled by 86Reverend, on Flickr

It's not as obvious in the photos but the larger hood scoop is significantly larger than the stock one. This is especially noticeable when you're in the car driving it. It certainly has some presence!

Got some Diode Dynamics LED C-Light Upgrades so the "angry eyes" are brighter and sharper than ever. Really helps set off the aggressive look the front end has.

Added a bit to the handling department. SuperPro Front and Rear Endlinks, Front and Rear Sway Bar Bushings, and Adjustable Rear Sway Bar aare installed! Improved the handling significantly!! Nice neutral handling, less body roll, and just sharper steering in general. I love it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Couple of upgrades before I take her to Ojibwe Forests Rally at the end of the month.

ViS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood went on once we painted it. I left the vents on the sides Carbon Fiber and the whole thing got clear coated.

It's not as obvious in the photos but the larger hood scoop is significantly larger than the stock one. This is especially noticeable when you're in the car driving it. It certainly has some presence!

Your car looks so fierce love the hood!

Does the hood scoop obstruct enough to annoy during daily driving?

Can you see the carbon fibre through the paint job? Can any regular automotive paint shop do the job or do they need special tools to paint CF?

How's fitment especially lines/gaps around the front bumper and fenders?

Any lifting or anything if your not running hood pins? Or bending from the struts when closing since the hoods lighter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Does the hood scoop obstruct enough to annoy during daily driving?
Nope! While it is more obvious when looking out the front window, it's not a problem with me. The '04-'07 STI scoops are still much more noticeable than this.

Can you see the carbon fibre through the paint job? Can any regular automotive paint shop do the job or do they need special tools to paint CF?
Nope. It looks like regular body panels right up to where the Carbon Fiber isn't painted. Since it's all had Clear Coat, you don't notice any weave. It's not dry carbon fiber like you see on race cars, so the weave is visible but does not have texture to it.

How's fitment especially lines/gaps around the front bumper and fenders?
This took a little bit of work. Had to play around with washers and adjust the hood stops over the headlights to get it to sit right. It's still not 100%, but I'd say it's at about 90%-95% which is good enough for me.

Any lifting or anything if your not running hood pins? Or bending from the struts when closing since the hoods lighter?
No issues like that. This is Carbon Fiber Hood is bonded to a shell that helps keep it's structural integrity and shape. It's not too much lighter than the stock hood because of this, but it means I don't need to use Hood Pins to secure it. It doesn't shake or rattle or move around at high speeds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Cleaned it up just in time to get covered in bugs for the 7-hour trip up to the Ojibwe Forests Rally. Gonna have to find a place in Detroit Lakes to clean 'er up again... only to get it dirty again driving on the rally stages to get to our spots to watch the action unfold. Been looking forward to this all year!

Bet ya can't guess who I'm rooting for at Ojibwe!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Car looks great I'm loving the hood nice job ?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Great looking car! I don't usually like the hood but when painted to match the rest of the car, it's not bad.
I'll be attending meets soon as my schedule has changed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Been awhile since an update. Took home 1st in my class and 3rd overall at the last rallycross we had in February. Went a little too wide on one of the turns near the end of the day and the heavy damp clods of clay pummled the passenger-side fender liner out of the car... which is the first time I've damaged the car in competition. Pretty easy fix so I replaced the linder and got it all buttoned up.

IMG_0142 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I've been really happy with the STI since the power bump I got last year... but I'd really like to go one more step and get it tuned for FlexFuel. Mostly for the convenience of being able to put 91, 93, or E85 in there, a FlexFuel tune would help simplify things when I'm traveling. Last month when I went to the Subaru Winter Experience, which was a 10 hour drive, I was using the Find93.com website to plan out where I could get 93 fuel so I could stay on that tune the whole trip. However, two of the gas stations I visited that it recommended did not carry 93... I suppose that's more of a gripe with the website than my car, but it's a hassle to try switching between tunes constantly.

Above all, I want my STI to continue to be reliable and solid. I'm not looking to blow it up anytime soon for the sake of it being as fast as humanly possible. Outside of a FlexFuel kit from COBB, are there other things you guys would recommend to upgrade while I'm at it? Looking forward to your suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
FlexFuel does not account for gasoline octane. For that, you'll still need to flash a map or have a high octane FlexFuel map and use the AP to control global timing in real time.

In short, it only looks for ethanol content from 0 to 100 and will allow blending based on that only.

Without a surge tank and given the way you drive the car, I would put in a fuel pressure sensor and enable it in the FlexFuel map.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
My "Higgins Blue" STi is about to take the trip of a lifetime. 22 hours of driving are all that stand between me and the mountain roads of New England. I've managed to plan our family vacation (I have family in NH and MA) the week before the New England Forest Rally. I'll drive up to New Hampshire, spend time with them in the mountains, and then stick around to watch rally cars blast through the twisty turny backroads between Maine and New Hampshire.

I've managed to get a few more things done to the STi before the journey. A modification I should've added from Day 1 is this IAG Air Oil Separator. Got that hooked up to keep my oil where it should be! Had a few puffs of blue smoke coming through before that had me worried, but the blow-by has been taken care of and the car is running better than ever. I also made a few interior tweaks with the Hyper Blue added to the Shift Knob, some SRT USA cupholder pads, a coin holder in my fusebox, and some better interior lighting.

I had planned on going FlexFuel before this trip, but expenses on fixing up my 2006 Subaru Baja Turbo have set me back more that I had planned on. Figured at least the AOS was a good idea, so I'm glad I have that buttoned up. In the meantime, the STI will need a few more things before she turns 30k Miles, but that elusive FlexFuel will have to wait.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
When I added a ViS Racing carbon fiber hood to my 2016 WRX STI, the first thing I knew I'd need to do was build something to channel air properly from the intake to the intercooler. Well, after making it by with a hacked-up plastic shroud from my stock hood, it's time to make something a little more... robust.

It's too difficult to build something off the hood, as there's hardly anything for something like this to attach to underneath. I've taken a page out of Bucky Lasek's STI and started building a custom shroud that attaches to the intercooler itself.

A few more things to adjust, then it's gonna get ceramic coated and get a fitted rubber gasket around the edges to seal it up nicely. Pretty pleased with the progress and fitment so far.

Might even be able to reproduce these when we get all the measurements right. Not sure how it'll fit with other aftermarket hoods.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Back in winter mode with a minor change. Got a great deal on Black Friday for a Grimmspeed Stealthbox. Install on it was a breeze, cleaned off the MAF sensor while I was at it, and Graham at Boosted Performance Tuning is helping with the tune adjustments via e-mail.

I also got this handy ProClip for my Cobb AP Tuner. It really has been a good solid mounting point that keeps the Cobb V3 within easy reach which has made datalogging for this recent round of tuning a breeze. Wrote a review about it on my blog if you'd like to read more on it> All We'll Drive: ProClip Subaru WRX Mount

The "Spinny Whoosh" sounds generated from the new intake have been fun and I can feel a little bit of a power improvement, but I really need to have more supporting mods for that. The plans to go E85 have been pushed back, but at least the intake is ready to go.

This season the Higgins Blue STI reeled in it's third consecutive championship in Class PA. It didn't do it without some help from my '06 Baja Turbo, which acted as a Substitute for two of the events this year. One of the events the STI was unable to participate due to a tire issue so I ran the Baja for fun... but still got some points. The other event was a mud pit so I opted for the Baja due to it's All-Terrain tires which excelled in the slick conditions and reeled in the class win and a 2nd Place overall. The STI fought tooth-and-nail through the other 5 events this year up against an increasingly talented field of competitors. As usual, the improvements in my driving need to happen to keep up the pace!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
August 2022 - The story so far!

My Higgins Blue STI is just about to roll over 60k Miles. It's nearly 7 years old at this point but the goal remains the same: Make a car that celebrates the career of David Higgins and Craig Drew that is also fun to drive and push while also being able to handle daily use. It's easy to find a parts catalogue and start throwing options at a car, but I have found it to be both rewarding and difficult to strike a good balance to continue to make this a rewarding car to drive and own.

It's now running a COBB FlexFuel setup with ID1050X injectors, DW300 Fuel Pump, GrimmSpeed Stealth Box CAI, GrimmSpeed EBCS, GrimmSpeed Catless Downpipe, ARK Performance GRiP Exhaust, and has the TGVs and EGR deleted. I also performed a coolant mod for proper circulation to cylinder #4 and installed an IAG Competition Series Air-Oil Separator. There is a VSC Performance Transmission Mount and Pitch Stop mount installed along with a South Bend Clutch (Daily Stage 2) on the OEM Flywheel. Suspension is currently the OEM STI Dampers with RaceComp Engineering "Yellow" lowering springs. Brakes are stock Brembos (replaced pads and rotors at 52k miles) and there is a set of APR Carbon Fiber Brake Duct Cooling intakes that run air from the fog light bezels to the front brake rotors.

On the Outside, the ViS Racing Carbon Fiber hood (painted) is still there along with VSC Performance Mud Flaps (replaced my Rally Armors) and the crown jewel: the VSC Performance Motorsports Wing. I'm still running my favorite Method Wheels depending on the season and application. 501s for All-Season, 502s for winter / rallycross, and 503s for summer / autocross.

All-in-all it's still coming together and while I enjoy each new change, they get me thinking about the next thing. As I write this, my local rallycross program is about to change where events are held as the racetrack they've been at for the last 10 years or so is unfortunately closing. The condition of the site there is much smoother than other "lets go in a grass field" sites I've seen and I'm not sure if this car can handle the harsher conditions and steeper approach / departure angles to warrant continuing to rallycross with it. As such, I'm starting to refocus the car to do more Autocross and (eventually) some track days. I know that to make a dedicated track car would mean ditching the idea of this still being a daily dad-mobile, but it would be nice to get the car to at least a few track days without worrying about reliability.

As such, my next set of mods I have my sights set on have cooling in mind. The brakes are fine thanks to the APR kit, but general engine and oil cooling will be my next areas of focus.

I'm still a big rally fan and the main reason for getting that massive carbon fiber rear wing wasn't to be an attention grabber but rather to continue to make this car a celebration of their career. David Higgins and Craig Drew secured 8 National Championships in the US together and many of those wins had this wing strapped to the back of their car. So when the chance came to put one on my car, I had to jump on it. Seth from Vermont SportsCar was there to help install it at the 2022 Rally in the 100 Acre Wood and David Higgins was also there so he could put his seal of approval on the latest addition to "his car". I'm still trying to figure out how to get the "75" back on my car somewhere so that'll come soon when I settle on an idea for it.

In the meantime, here's some photos of my car since my last update. It's been a riot to drive and I like increasing it's performance level to meet my needs as my abilities improve behind the wheel. More Driver Mod leads to more Car Mods and that progression has been so much fun!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts