IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

2016 Subaru WRX STI
Series.HyperBlue

Never say Never. All the things I never thought I'd do I have done. "Oh, I'll keep it stock." "No, I won't race it." "It'll probably be a Garage Queen." Instead I've decided to have a lot of fun with this car. Something like this can grow on you and I've had a lot of great moments with it so far. My rallying hero Mr. David Higgins has seen, sat in, and subsequently approved of "his" car so I couldn't be happier with that fact.
All We'll Drive: 2016 WRX STI Series.HyperBlue

Modifications
  • JDM Front Grille
  • JDM Fog Light Bezels
  • JDM Optional PIAA LED Fog Lights
  • ViS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood
  • OEM STI Short Throw Shifter
  • GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Controller
  • GrimmSpeed Catless Downpipe
  • GrimmSpeed Turbo Heat Shield
  • Innovate Motorsports Wideband
  • ARK Performance GRiP Catback Exhaust
  • OEM Crosstrek Limited Dash Trim
  • STI Intercooler Armor
  • Diode Dynamics LED C-Lights
  • SubieBros Bumper Plugs
  • 20% Tint All Around
  • Rally Armor UE Mudflaps
  • Primitive Racing Skidplates
  • Method 501 Rally Wheels
More to come later! Excited to finally be part of IWSTI!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I get to ban you meow? :)
Anytime! Haha

What's the OEM Crosstrek Limited Dash Trim? Nice car!
The 2016 Crosstrek Limited models have a different piece of dash trim. I wasn't a big fan of the faux carbon fiber, so I replaced it with the one from the Crosstrek Limited. Looks nicer, I think. All I've got is a crappy cell-phone picture of it now. I need to get a decent shot with my good camera later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/22981486732/in/album-72157659085394189/

·
Registered
574 Posts
The 2016 Crosstrek Limited models have a different piece of dash trim. I wasn't a big fan of the faux carbon fiber, so I replaced it with the one from the Crosstrek Limited. Looks nicer, I think. All I've got is a crappy cell-phone picture of it now. I need to get a decent shot with my good camera later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/22981486732/in/album-72157659085394189/
That looks fantastic (I searched up a few more photos online too)...you're going to have to give me more info! :)

What are the part numbers and approximate cost?
How hard was the install?
Does it replace ALL the faux CF or are there parts from the Crosstrek not compatible?

I really don't care for the faux CF and that piano black looks awesome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Dash Trim from the 2016+ Crosstrek Limited (the Premium and Base don't have this) will swap two pieces over to the 2015+ WRX and WRX STI center dash pieces.

Passenger Side - 66077FJ210 - $79.00
Drivers Side - 66077FJ310 - $39.00

The passenger side trim piece pops out relatively easily. The Drivers side is a little more troublesome, but you just need to pry from the right spots. Or, I actually just removed the dash panel on that side and removed the piece from behind. The Crosstrek pieces snap in like a charm.

On the 2015 Models, the Faux CF trim will still be on the shifter and surrounding the radio. On the 2016 Models, the Faux CF Trim will only be on the shifter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
On the 2015 Models, the Faux CF trim will still be on the shifter and surrounding the radio. On the 2016 Models, the Faux CF Trim will only be on the shifter.
Thanks man! I actually realized looking at it last night that there was no way there was a replacement for the shifter surround especially due to the illuminated "STi" logo. :(

I guess you could always pull it all apart and have it professionally painted and clearcoated with gloss black automotive paint.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just thinking of taking it apart and putting black gloss vinyl over it. It's not that complicated of a surface (doesn't have many weird curves or bumps) so it would be relatively simple.

Thought I'd explain a bit of my "direction" with this car for the time being. In the 90s, Subaru released special edition variants of the WRX in the European market to celebrate their accomplishments in the World Rally Championship. Colin McCrae had a special edition WRX made in his name. Richard Burns returned to Subaru and was celebrated with the RB5. Even the iconic 22B was a celebration car for Subaru's Manufacturers Title in the WRC. So, when David Higgins and Craig Drew drove their WRX STI in the Rally America National Championship for a Perfect Season and continued on to close out the year with a stunning finish at the Rally GB in the WRC, it seemed to me like a celebration car was in order.

Subaru only made 700 WRX STIs in this "Hyper Blue" color that were released in Fall of 2015 in the US. While the plans for this car's release came long before Higgins and Drew crossed the finish line for their sweep of the series, I couldn't help but notice that the Livery their WRX STI was wearing had this same blue that adorns the Series.HyperBlue WRX STI. At that point, I decided my car would be a Celebration car for their achievements.

To me, it's not Hyper Blue. It's Higgins Blue! And that's why mine wears a "75 Higgins" badge on the rear spoiler and black "Subaru Rally Team USA" logos on the side skirts. And, in the same way Higgins and Drew paid tribute to Colin McRae at the Rally GB, I've paid tribute to his mantra of "When in doubt, Flat Out" with my license plate.

To make things cooler, David Higgins shared my car on his Facebook page shortly after I shared the photo online.

I was already proud to wear that number on my car, but then to get a thank you from David himself was pretty special. I'm headed to the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood this year in Missouri to volunteer at the event. I'm excited to potentially meet Higgins and Drew at the event, too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
congratulations on the car dude, looks nice I was just wondering what you did with the black bbs wheels that came with it since I saw you have the older style bbs wheels
They're in storage until it's warmer out. They've still got the TPMS sensors and stock Dunlop tires on 'em. I'm planning on doing at least one Autocross this summer with them. The '05 WRX STI BBS wheels are just my not-so-summer set. They've got Continental DWS wrapped around 'em and provide much better grip when it's cold and yucky out. I didn't want to ruin the summer tires / slide around in the winter on the stock summer tires.

·
Registered
390 Posts
ohh okay i see smart move dude, i was gonna say those wheels are amazing in black theres no reason to get rid of them at all. i just recently got winter tires as i ran my stock set up and got stuck in the snow around 15 times lol but beautiful car and good luck dude

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i just recently got winter tires as i ran my stock set up and got stuck in the snow around 15 times lol but beautiful car and good luck dude
Yeah, they're certainly not a good tire to run in anything but warm weather. I really wish Subaru would offer these All-Season cars with some All-Season tires. The last thing you want to do if you buy your car in the winter is have to get different tires right off the bat. The Continental DWS tires I'm on now have been pretty stellar.

Love this color
Beautiful car. Best of luck :)
Thanks guys! When it arrived I was originally just curious how it looked. It was game over once I saw it in person.

Very nice car man! If you are EVER interested in selling the black BBS wheels that came with it please let me know!
Thanks! I probably won't ever sell the stock wheels, but a quick powdercoating job on a set of normal STI Limited BBS wheels would get the same result. Even the center caps are the same. Someone said my wheels are "BBS SRs" and while they look similar, I think those wheels are cast aluminum instead of forged, so if you want the same look, you could get those and paint 'em black. They just aren't forged like these.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I decided to purchase a set of JDM Fog Light Bezels from SMY Performance. I have them mounted but not hooked up.

IMG_0214 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I LOVE the look of these! The glossy black not only compliments the JDM grille perfectly, but it really goes well with the Hyper Blue-on-Black look that these cars have.

IMG_0194 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I've been considering different wiring / lighting options with these. I have the SubiSpeed DRL Boomerang kit for mine and I've been thinking of trying that LED strip in so they come on with those. Right now I've just been too busy to get in there and hook 'em up but I've been drooling over the look of my front end. Really enjoying how well these work on this car.

Any suggestions on wiring these things up would be appreciated! I'm open to different ideas.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts