IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to produce carbon fiber products and things of that nature and would like to get some insight/help on a few things. First off is it illegal to for example: buy an apr diffuser replicate it and then sell it for a cheaper price. I always see "replica" this or "replica" that such as on different lips and exhaust shields. Is there a way to get around this by say trimming off some parts or using a different way to install it? If anyone knows anything along these lines let me know. I would love to be able to get these expensive peices that everyone wants and be able to offer them at a cheap price w/ the same quality. Thanks Alot.

PS. of all carbon fiber products which one is your favorite? Diffuser, Exhaust heat shield, gauge pod etc...

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's okay unless the products have trademarks or patents on them, but that's doubtful since it's easy to argue that there's only a handful of ways to make a diffuser functional. Pretty sure APR ripped off HKS and other designs anyways.

Body kits would be different because of the usually strictly aesthetic purpose for them.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
1) produce diffuser
2) post lots of nice pictures to taunt us on the forums
3) ???
4) profit

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
yeah, +1 on diffuser. i want one bad, but apr and kansai are $$$

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,934 Posts
There are basically two ways to approach this process.

1) Consult a lawyer, preferably a patent lawyer and someone familiar with intellectual property law. Do a little web research and find out if these parts are patented. This is the "cover your a$s" approach.

2) Make them, sell them as fast as you can fart them out and wait to get slapped with an injunction or C&D order. Or even a letter from a lawyer. You might have to stop making them if you're able to plead numbnuts, but the folks around here will definitely line your pockets until that time.:D

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The only time I've ever heard of an aftermarket parts company going after counterfeiters was Buddy Club because their kits are pretty distinct. Only other manufacturer with similarly distinct kits in my book would be Veilside.

Do reasearch on www.uspto.gov and see if there's anything remotely related that has been trademarked or patented. My guess is no.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts