IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my 2nd Subaru from my marketing firm I work for and it was wrapped in a vinyl wrap and sent on a mobile tour. While it was on the tour, people were autographing it with a silver paint pen. All of the paint was wrapped in a protective vinyl, but all of the rubber in between the doors, the wipers, grill, and some random places on the paint were all drawn on because they were exposed.

My office spent some money trying to remove everything that they could before I bought it, but if the sun is shinning on the car you can still see the outline of all the names.

Would nail pollish remover work on the rubber? I don't want to use goof off, what should I use on the paint?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Trying to get paint off of paint? ...fine grit sandpaper like 1500. Of course ull have to use buffer afterwards to bring the shine back.

·
Banned
501 Posts
So I picked up my 2nd Subaru from my marketing firm I work for and it was wrapped in a vinyl wrap and sent on a mobile tour. While it was on the tour, people were autographing it with a silver paint pen. All of the paint was wrapped in a protective vinyl, but all of the rubber in between the doors, the wipers, grill, and some random places on the paint were all drawn on because they were exposed.

My office spent some money trying to remove everything that they could before I bought it, but if the sun is shinning on the car you can still see the outline of all the names.

Would nail pollish remover work on the rubber? I don't want to use goof off, what should I use on the paint?

NOOO-you will rape your clear coat.

Use magic eraser.
If you want to attack it on additional chemical war fare substance...
You can first hit it with hair spray and micro fiber [brand new] with
great amount of '' elbow''.

Your right,Goof off is bad. But GOO GONE IS GOOD.Use it on teh rubber.
O R G A N I C FTW

High grit wet sand is for those who know how to utilize the process with out burning paint.
I.E. a soapy water mix where paper was marinated,and then tossed on surface in doses, along with high grit sand paper [2000+] wrapped on a block,constant running water on targeted area,pressure applied is experience fueled.NOT FOR YOU OR ME,and I have been practicing for a year.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
not to hijack but where are u "practicing" at? I used to work body repair shop so i know how its done.

the eraser is prob best bet for DIY'ers

·
Banned
501 Posts
^-certainly not my car.lol

I use all the free,unwanted,scrapped car parts I find here in L.A.
I can get all sorts of free body parts off of the pasadena 101 and
aroyo.
people wreck every other to every 4th or 5th day in one spot.
I hit it 1 time a month,that is all I need these days.
I used to grab way more when I first started.

It is tougher for me to really know when to stop buffing,I use way too much wax,polish
almost every time no matter what.
I do not ''porter cable'' in the majecstic constant motion''.
Also 3000 grit is my choice for todays oem crayon jobs.
pre 90s is awsome pre emisions standard paint,damn stronger thus, I can use 800 grit.
It comes slow for me...skills are a *****.

·
Banned
501 Posts
not to hijack but where are u "practicing" at? I used to work body repair shop so i know how its done.

the eraser is prob best bet for DIY'ers
Ive caused great pains to myself with sand paper [on other than my STi cars].
Albeit the most efficient,professional look vs great paint problems,if
you are not me that is.:lol:
Nail polish however; is totally NOT IN THE PLAYBOOK!:eek:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ahh i gotcha. guess havin pros teach me i had it easy lol

OP--best bet like i said is that magic eraser or clay bar. Id try that and see what it does

·
Banned
501 Posts
ahh i gotcha. guess havin pros teach me i had it easy lol

I was given free 2 days tutorial by
Vance Fectau in silver lake ca.
Mr. F was one of barry meguires few'' chosen ones'' before meguires was sold.
I became friends with vance.We large mouth bass fish frequently at castaic.
Vance is a pro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts