IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in not responsible for any damages or injuries that may occur. These are only guidelines. Please read and re-read all the instructions thoroughly before removing/ installing your torsion bars. Be careful not to pinch your fingers while removing/ installing. Always, always, always have someone holding the trunk while removing/ installing the bars. The trunk can cause serious injury because once the bars are removed there is no tension holding the trunk. I did not use any tools while removing the bars. Removing/ installing should take approx. 10 minutes total depending on your skill level.

*Removal, the left bar comes out first and then the right. They overlap so it can only be removed one way.

*Installing, the right bar goes on first, then the left bar. They overlap so it can only be installed one way.

1. Make sure you have a friend/ family member in this procedure, reason being you need someone to hold the trunk for you. If you do not have anyone available, you can remove the trunk from your vehicle so it doesn't hit you while pulling the bars out.

2. Take a look at your torsion bars.

3. With your right hand you want to push the torsion bars forward while with your left hand move the arm attached to the trunk hinges towards you. It should look like this....

4. In this next step, you will lift the trunk bar up over the notch, and the bar will literally fall out.

5. One of two trunk bars are out.

6. Follow the same procedures above. Sorry I didn't have any help so It was not possible for me to remove both bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for posting this! sorry to bump an old thread but i am definitely going to use this when i swap trunks with another guy pretty soon! is there a huge difference between switching only 1 bar vs. switching both bars? and both bars are next to each other, correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for posting this! sorry to bump an old thread but i am definitely going to use this when i swap trunks with another guy pretty soon! is there a huge difference between switching only 1 bar vs. switching both bars? and both bars are next to each other, correct?

I'll laugh if I'm quoting the guy I swapped trunks with today....

I just went from a winged 2015 STI to a 2015 WRX trunk. We swapped the torsion bars, but, only as a precaution. Once we had the lids off neither of us could tell any difference in the amount of pressure applied to the arm bar by pulling it down. However, being as that's not exactly scientific, we swapped both torsion bars. They do run parallel to each other.
We removed the left (arm bar) first then the right. We replaced the left bar first then the right. ***USE light duty workmans gloves. This will make it way way easier on both partys and protect your hands from what you cant see in the trunk. *** Also, when we reconnected our arm bars to the torsion bar we laid the arm of a socket wrench flat up against the torsion bar. So, one person pushing down on the torsion bar and the other controlling the arm bar and latching it back onto the torsion bar. Good teamwork helped there as the guy holding the arm bar can't see into the trunk while he's latching and the other person is using all their strength to push the torsion bar and finalize the connection.

I'll post again after I get the trunk 100% square in the space it sits in. Might be a spaz but we couldnt get the WRx trunk seated on sti 100% properly. It's off-center a small amount (1/8") to the right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bump. I'm doing this swap tonight, great info. Thanks!
Swap over went super smooth, thanks for this how to! Of note, had we not swapped torsion bars, my new wingless trunk lid would have flown open pretty violently and his new winged trunk would not have been very likely to not stay open. So for those doing the trunk swap between winged and lip, definitely swap torsion bars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any of you kind souls in NJ? I could not get the STI torsion bars in. Probably because I was doing this by myself. Could use some experience. I will drive to you if you can spare 15 mns.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any of you kind souls in NJ? I could not get the STI torsion bars in. Probably because I was doing this by myself. Could use some experience. I will drive to you if you can spare 15 mns.

Thanks
I'm in the same situation cannot get the bars in by myself. Im North or Boston and Southern New Hampshire, can give me a hand? I will gladly buy you a beer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to necro the thread... but dumb question, if I am swapping trunks and both are STI's, I do not have to worry about swapping these do I? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swap over went super smooth, thanks for this how to! Of note, had we not swapped torsion bars, my new wingless trunk lid would have flown open pretty violently and his new winged trunk would not have been very likely to not stay open. So for those doing the trunk swap between winged and lip, definitely swap torsion bars.
just put on a wingless trunk. i have one or the torsion bars for wingless trunks. do i need both?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts