IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a remore starter kit, theDirectStart 423 and was wondering if anyone has either some info on the product or encountered any problems if anyone has had one installed.

I am currently looking for someone to install it while i wait for UPS to arrive. So when that's done i can let anyone that is interested know how well or bad it went.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You'll probably run into quite a problem finding a place to install a remote start on a manual for liability reasons. If you know someone personally at a place, that's your best best.

If you need installation details, let me know. I installed mine along with my Viper Responder alarm. The remote start part was fairly straightforward once the hood pin/hand brake/neutral status wiring was figured out.

Oh, just a suggestion, buy a turbo timer harness so you don't have to hack up your stock ignition wiring.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Remote start on a manual just isn't a good idea...

You should leave your car in gear when parked, and the clutch should be in when you start the engine....

·
Registered
575 Posts
the clutch thing I dont agree upon, that really is irellevant but remote start on manual is bad when you can be in gear.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip Rob, that's good to know for the harness.

I always leave my car in neutral unless I'm parked on a slope, so that should not be a problem. Up here in Canada block heaters are pretty much required and since I don't have one and also have no where to plug either at home or work I need something to keep the motor warm in case of extreme cold. The system I just purchased has a feature where the car will start every 2 hrs for a programmed amount of time. I'm worried the car won't start once we start getting -30C weather.

Also just to add, this system is designed for manual trannys. It has safety devices that prevent the car from starting if the tranny is in gear. It will also only turn the starter a certain number of times before it cuts off and needs to be started manually.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm not sure about the STi, but my cousin's WRX won't turn over without the clutch in, even in neutral..... I'm sure you could bypass this though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the subaru's have a neutral position switch within the transmission. it will send a ground signal whenever the vehicle is in gear to the ECU. you need to tap this wire to the alarm/remote start system's hood pin input. if the vehicle is in gear the alarm/remote start system thinks the hood is open and will prevent the remote start from starting the vehicle. be sure to diode isolate the actual hood pin from sending an improper ground signal to the ECU.

also, to remote start the vehicle you will need to temporarily bypass the clutch switch by using either the blue status output or the 2nd ignition relay output to connect the 2 clutch switch wires to unlock the Starter Interlock Relay.

Details can be found on here: forum.dreamspeedonline.com

thanks!
netZ

turbs said:
Thanks for the tip Rob, that's good to know for the harness.

I always leave my car in neutral unless I'm parked on a slope, so that should not be a problem. Up here in Canada block heaters are pretty much required and since I don't have one and also have no where to plug either at home or work I need something to keep the motor warm in case of extreme cold. The system I just purchased has a feature where the car will start every 2 hrs for a programmed amount of time. I'm worried the car won't start once we start getting -30C weather.

Also just to add, this system is designed for manual trannys. It has safety devices that prevent the car from starting if the tranny is in gear. It will also only turn the starter a certain number of times before it cuts off and needs to be started manually.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the system I ordered. Just FYI.
http://12voltshop.com/proddetail.asp?prodid=CS423&cat=12&path=1,12

It quotes...
Auto or Manual Transmission - DIRECTSTART can be safely installed on either automatic or manual transmission vehicles. Removing an onboard jumper activates manual mode. Once the jumper is removed, 2 included safety circuits must be connected, these safety circuits ensure that the driver can only remote start the vehicle when the vehicle is in neutral and the hand brake is ON.

Cold Weather Start Mode: Cold weather start mode is user activated by a single press of a button. Once activated will start engine every 2 hours and run for preset runtime.

Programmable Run Time: The run time can be programmed for either a 5, 15 or 20 minute run time.

Programmable Crank Cycles: The number of times the unit attempts to start the engine is programmable between 2, 3 or 4 attempts.

Programmable Crank Time: The length of time the unit will crank the starter motor is programmable between 6, 8 or 12 seconds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
why mess with the 'ready mode' to enable the system to remote start a manual? the impreza has a neutral position sensor that can be tied into the alarm/remote start's hood input.

with the directstart's manual mode, if your window is open you can have someone lean in and put the vehicle into gear.

netZ

turbs said:
This is the system I ordered. Just FYI.
http://12voltshop.com/proddetail.asp?prodid=CS423&cat=12&path=1,12

It quotes...
Auto or Manual Transmission - DIRECTSTART can be safely installed on either automatic or manual transmission vehicles. Removing an onboard jumper activates manual mode. Once the jumper is removed, 2 included safety circuits must be connected, these safety circuits ensure that the driver can only remote start the vehicle when the vehicle is in neutral and the hand brake is ON.

Cold Weather Start Mode: Cold weather start mode is user activated by a single press of a button. Once activated will start engine every 2 hours and run for preset runtime.

Programmable Run Time: The run time can be programmed for either a 5, 15 or 20 minute run time.

Programmable Crank Cycles: The number of times the unit attempts to start the engine is programmable between 2, 3 or 4 attempts.

Programmable Crank Time: The length of time the unit will crank the starter motor is programmable between 6, 8 or 12 seconds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts