IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Like the idea of installing Fastline Motorsports' hood-scoop screen like someone here has posted pix of to help prevent bugs/debris on the I/C. However, I'm concerned that from an engineering standpoint, it would cut down on the airflow volume compared to not having anything there. Can anyone predict if this will effect performance? Air-flow volume wise, this may be the equivalent of putting the smaller wrx scoop on instead. Any constructive info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Not a chance it will make that kind of difference. If you really want to test it yourself, get some of the screen and hold it out the window at speed. I promise you there won't be that much resistance.

If it was a Blitz SUS filter-type mesh, maybe. The kind of mesh being used by Fastline or those of us who have done home installs.....don't loose sleep over it. It's all good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
::Couple Questions::

Thanks for the info Rob, I think I will order a screen from Fastline.
Just out of curiosity, what do you think would happen performance-wise
if a smaller, regular wrx hood-scoop was retrofit onto our cars? I know
the bigger scoop was engineered for the STi intercooler, but would
airflow be reduced enough to be noticable while driving? Just
interested, thanks again.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
hmm...I wanna say, duh?

You could probably get the same effect by putting a solid piece of sheet metal on the top half inch of the scoop :wink:

Why do you want to mod the car in a way that's detrimental to its performance?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If it's the look of the scoop that you don't care for....I'd say just wait. I'm sure the aftermarket will be all over a different scoop. As stated above, if you'd like to test the difference the WRX scoop might make, I'd just tape off a section of your current scoop. I don't know what kind of power difference you would see.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
...if you'd like to test the difference the WRX scoop might make, I'd just tape off a section of your current scoop.
or equivalently, tape off about 20% of your IC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts