IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gauging interest...Potenza Tires.

I red line my sti everyday :D , what are some problems that will occur in the future? ex. bad head gaskets.
-Thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If car dealers ruled the world

Ha, well besides the obvious speeding ticket problems...mechanically you can expect a shorter life from all your engine components. Stress on everything increases with rpm....Any OEM car sold to the public must pass quite a few hours of high speed dyno testing (anywhere from 300-700 hrs. depending on the OEM). When driving you're not sitting at redline but downshifting so your actual total time at 7k will still be low. Technically you should be covered out to the warranty of 60k miles, but just make sure you save your maintenance receipts and plan on ditching it in 5 yrs. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Deleted

If you drive the car fine, just running it to redline shouldn't do too much....

The car is built to run to redline, and most smaller (displacement, not power) car engines run better when they're exercised properly. Some things will clear out and run better if the car sees high rpm's occasionally. For example, when your injectors flow at full capacity every once in a while, the higher rate of spray at high pressure will make sure they're flowing clearly and fully. If you drive like a granny, they can have some buildup and form blockages and flow poorly. Over time you can lose a lot of power from these kinds of things.

Over time, the excess vibration could cause a problem or two, but, again, the car IS designed to run up to redline, and the redline is set where it is for a reason. I don't think you'll run into any problems from simply redlining your engine if your driving is done with appropriate skill- mainly that you work the clutch and transmission properly.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Any Experience w/Beechmont Subaru in Cinci?

The obvious question is why do you run it to redline regularly? Redline is well over the torque hump. You should be shifting well before redline for maximum acceleration.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
bitabur said:
If you drive the car fine, just running it to redline shouldn't do too much....

The car is built to run to redline, and most smaller (displacement, not power) car engines run better when they're exercised properly. Some things will clear out and run better if the car sees high rpm's occasionally. For example, when your injectors flow at full capacity every once in a while, the higher rate of spray at high pressure will make sure they're flowing clearly and fully. If you drive like a granny, they can have some buildup and form blockages and flow poorly. Over time you can lose a lot of power from these kinds of things.

Over time, the excess vibration could cause a problem or two, but, again, the car IS designed to run up to redline, and the redline is set where it is for a reason. I don't think you'll run into any problems from simply redlining your engine if your driving is done with appropriate skill- mainly that you work the clutch and transmission properly.
There may be some small benefits to the injectors when running at redline, but that is far outweighed by the negatives of shorter life on all mechanical components. At high rpm, everything is working harder to keep the system together. Connecting rods have to keep the pistons in place, valves impact the seats harder (and bounce more), valve springs surge like a slinky, bearings wear faster, piston rings wear faster, etc. etc. The manufacturer rightly assumes that 99.9% of all their engines won't see excessive time at redline and designs as such. Redline is set where it is because higher than that the engine life would be unacceptably low.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Slowride said:
The obvious question is why do you run it to redline regularly? Redline is well over the torque hump. You should be shifting well before redline for maximum acceleration.
The main benefit of reving high in our cars is not as much for sustained torque as it is to make sure you don't shift and find yourself waiting to get back into the 4 - 5k range.

Still, if I feel the need to accelerate quickly, I still find that shifting 500 rpm or so before redline is sufficient.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: how's this stuff sound for the hood scoop grill?

RadarOnPaws said:
Slowride said:
The main benefit of reving high in our cars is not as much for sustained torque as it is to make sure you don't shift and find yourself waiting to get back into the 4 - 5k range.

Still, if I feel the need to accelerate quickly, I still find that shifting 500 rpm or so before redline is sufficient.
Yeah - I shoot for 6500 or so when trying to accelerate quickly.

-st

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I set my inndicator and warning sound at 6000...by the time i hear or see i'm at 6200...the perfect shift 8)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts