IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rims

Hey guys...I am getting ready to change all of my interior lights to red to match the gauges. I want to change the HVAC, I/C spayer button, headlight adjustment switch, fog light switch, power window button, steering wheel column key ring light, boost gauge, and performance gauge pack lights to red...and I was wondering what supplies I will need to do this...

I have searched and all I found was about the light bulb condoms...but even with that...there was confusion as to whether a .2 or .12 size condom was needed...

If someone could please let me know all of the supplies/parts I will need to complete my task for ALL of the above mentioned pieces that would be great!! All help is greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...

-Shane 8)

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I am about to do the same for my HVAC lighting...

I'll use this as a reference:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33292&highlight=HVACuest

About the bulb condoms fitment, check this thread in NASIOC:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=477062&highlight=LED+AND+condoms+AND+HVAC

Correction!

Bulb condoms for the Hvac are .20 and you'll need 2-4 of them depending on model/year car. (mine needed 2 for my03 wrx)

You'll need about 10 (a couple extra) .12 or (.20 also work) size bulb condoms for the gauge cluster but it won't turn out so well because of the green film.

You'll need 1 .12 size cover for the keyring light (if your car has it)

And finally 2 (1 for each) .12 sizes covers for the cruise and fog switches.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Over heating issues?

I used .2 for everything: 1 key lamp, 1 boost gauge, 4 in the HVAC. They key lamp and boost gauge are a perfect fit with .2. The HVAC bulbs are smaller and I had to cut the condoms down shorter to be just long enough to cover the bulb, then use a tiny spot of super glue to hold the condom to the bulb base. If you stretch the rubber down over the bulb base, it rips when you install the bulb into the housing. (This is sounding X rated). You could try the .12 sized for the HVAC, but they are so cheap I would buy both and see what works out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STi_Thunder said:
I am about to do the same for my HVAC lighting...

I'll use this as a reference:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33292&highlight=HVACuest

About the bulb condoms fitment, check this thread in NASIOC:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=477062&highlight=LED+AND+condoms+AND+HVAC

Correction!

Bulb condoms for the Hvac are .20 and you'll need 2-4 of them depending on model/year car. (mine needed 2 for my03 wrx)

You'll need about 10 (a couple extra) .12 or (.20 also work) size bulb condoms for the gauge cluster but it won't turn out so well because of the green film.

You'll need 1 .12 size cover for the keyring light (if your car has it)

And finally 2 (1 for each) .12 sizes covers for the cruise and fog switches.

Hope this helps. :)
Hey, thanks a lot man!!! That help a lot!!!

And to the rest of you...thank you as well for your input.

-Shane :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And as far as the buttons to the left of the steering column go...I/C spayer, Headlight level adjustment, and fog light switch...does anyone know how and what I need to change this to red....Thanks in advance...again...

-Shane :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
The i/c is easy, just pull the button out and take apart the button carefully so that springs and tiny pieces don't fly everyhwere. I can't remember but I'm almost sure that you need to scrape something off of the plastic cover. The headlight switch you can not do unless you plan on cutting out and resoldering red LEDs. The button has 4 green LEDS and the condom technique won't work. As far as the fog light button, I cannot help you there as I do not have the fog lights in my car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just used the red Sharpie method on the HVAC control bulbs. The green condoms pull off easy. (Subaru bean counters...) With my seating position I cannot see the buttons and knobs on the left. The HVAC mod is very cheap and worth wild though. You have to pull that panel to install a head unit. I used a Kenworth that has a mostly red display to match. Very happy with the audio performance too.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Snow fun #2

LOLROTF. Force of habit. The stereo bits are Kenwood. My customer at work it Kenwoth / PACCAR. Yup, I'm in the industry.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
For anyone worried about this... its really easy to do. Just pop out the front plate, undo 4 bolts, pull out HVAC piece, pull off covers, put on new covers :) or sharpie them if oyu want. What did you guys do for the top 3 LEDs if you went the sharpie route? Theres not a cover on those, or did you actually just sharpie the LED?

edit: also did you just sharpie the other LEDs as well or use covers?

Robert~

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I would personally, not mess with the other LED indicators for the rear defrost (which is orange already).

The only way to change them would imply desoldering those LEDs, which is far too risky.

Painting them over would cause your LEDs to be dark brownish I guess? green + red. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cool cars to see

STi Thunder, what part are you talking about? I did it and i do not remember any LEDs except for the headlight adjustment switch.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
The three green LEDs for the rear defroster, recirc and A/C ... Not talking about the button faces itself, but the LEDs ... they are green (except the rear def).. you cannot paint them...

·
Registered
399 Posts
oh yeah I just left those alone for now. In my eclipse that I had before this, i opened all the butttons and soldered in new leds with resistors and all that jazz, and it looked sweet. They had an awesome writeup about leds and resistors which helped. I'll do all my car eventually.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I need to do the intercooler button sprayer... Have you done that yet? Need to figure out how to pop it off ...

·
Registered
399 Posts
reach up from behind it and kinda feel where it is then either push it out, or use a tiny screwdriver on the top of it pulling it out. take it apart very slowly so you know where things go it will fall apart because it has a spring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Genuine JDM STi Titanium Front Strut Brace

Just did mine took half an hour ... :wink: best mod for the STI yet all ya need is a red sharpie...no waiting an it looks great... :p

1 - 20 of 35 Posts