IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some of your professional recommendation on which exhausts sound good. Firstly I don't like exhausts with a big huge tip. I want something that is classy and unique and of course sound good. The HKS titanium looks way too big for me and I think the Turbo XS is pretty huge as well. So what do you guys think?

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
Another Silver/Silver in CO

APS makes a systems thats with in noise regs, it is 3" pipe, sounds good but is a little quieter then others (still louder then factory)... its tip is about the same size as factory STi's. if you really wanted too you could get someone to put your STi tip on this exhaust, this is what i plan, kind of a sleeper look to it.
www.airpowersystems.com.au follow the links to U.S distributers, there is one in alot of states of the usa.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
APS system pics...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am personally leaning towards the Perrin DP (has the splitter for seperating wastegate and exhaust gases for less turbulence) and then a Cobb Catback exhaust. I had the MRT exhaust system on my WRX and it was VERY quiet but not very nice looking (muffler was pretty large and to blah for even my all go no show taste).

Other exhaust system I could consider would be a Invidia full exhaust system. I really like their stuff for the price, but they use the general large mouth DP style which I don't like.

The BPM systems are VERY nice but just a little too loud for my tastes. APS stuff is also VERY nice but very pricey.

·
Registered
126 Posts
anyone will the invidia catback? likes? dislikes? sound? which dp;s bolt up to the invidia exhaust? thanks in advance.

Kyle R

·
Registered
107 Posts
im goin godspeed downpipe and blitz nur spec r exhaust personally, unless another exhaust comes out sooner that i like better. or maybe thinking about HKS :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm also interested in some exhaust recommendations... although I would say that anything with a single outlet larger than 3.5" is probably a little too much for me. I like the look of the stock exhaust, and wouldn't really go larger.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
DrEvyl said:
I'm also interested in some exhaust recommendations... although I would say that anything with a single outlet larger than 3.5" is probably a little too much for me. I like the look of the stock exhaust, and wouldn't really go larger.
What are you looking for? Turboback, catback, or axleback? Performance, sound, looks? Where are you planning to take the car? What other mods do you plan or have you already done? Do you want to remove any cats?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Where is the best price

Slowride said:
What are you looking for? Turboback, catback, or axleback?
Open to all of the above...

Performance, sound, looks?
I wouldn't do anything that wasn't a performance gain. Would like a little more sound, but don't want something that looks like a grapefruit bazooka.

Where are you planning to take the car? What other mods do you plan or have you already done? Do you want to remove any cats?
Undecided... Would just like to make the car a bit faster. No mods at all right now, it's still completely stock. Don't want to remove the cats, I have to be emissions legal.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The real performance gains in exhausts come from dropping cats or at least replacing them with high-flow cats.

An axleback will give you looks and sound, but no real performance.

Doing a turboback on the STi generally results in boost creep unless you port the turbo wastegate.

Generally, the exhaust pieces are plug-n-play, so you can start with an axleback, buy a couple pieces and have a catback, buy a couple more and have a turboback. Of course, it's nice if the pieces match (same appearance, diameter, etc.), and, of course, the sound will change as the various parts are changed.

So, since you don't know exactly how far you want to mod the car, but you do want some performance gain, it sounds like you should be looking for a catback, probably one made by a company that makes a catted turboback, for future expansion.

Search NASIOC, clubwrx, etc...exhausts aren't STi-specific. There's a sticky wrxfanatics thread with lots of sound clips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In 02 WRX, the bell mouth or seperate WG designed downpipe yield most horse power. So, I am guessing the same for the STI. Hence, I had TXS TBE with high flow cat on my 02 WRX (to pass PA emissions -- You have to warm it up prior to inspection though), it worked wonerfully but the donut gasket had some weakness where it started to wear off after a year of hard driving. But, it was rattle free and did not require "Hardened" rubber hanger. As a comparison, friend of mine had Greddy EVO exhaust and it was hitting the frame while cornering. So, the kartboy hanger cured the problem.

Dan from PA

P.S.: Go catless and get hookup for emissions... That would be better than having a high flow cat... performance wise....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, I have Helix DP, Gruppe-s Header, 2.5 in custom-catback w/ a Magnaflow 2.5 stain-less steel exhaust. Since I've had this set-up, I have encountered no problems w/ boost creep. On the other hand, when I ran my APEX'i N1 115mm exhaust/muffler, I did encounter boost creep a few times, but not no more. Also,, my Magnaflow exhaust looks stealth and is not loud at all. :wink:

Lastly, I might not have the performance increase when compared to my APEXi but at least I don't get mad-dogged by the law. Either way, check it out. You wont be disappointed w/ Magnaflow products.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts