IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I have a 2011 GR hatch, and now in my possession is a new in box GS TMIC thermal black. However, I read and had considered this previously(which is why I received it), but the "one size fits all" gap that it leaves in the scoop gasket turned me away

I had been looking into Process West or ETS...

Should I:

A) Look a gift horse in the mouth, see about returning it and getting something else(she'll be cool with it).

B) Be happy with what I got, and see about sealing the gap with the smaller unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Is it a significant other etc? If it's not what you're wanting I'd swap for what you do want, just make a big deal for a while about how cool she (truthfully) is for getting you a gift like that at all.

Worst case, tell her you found out there's a different model you need because of ______ (flux capacitor capacitance?)

Id much rather my wife exchange a gift for something she will use / what she really wants. Im not offended, how the hell am I supposed to know what she wants, I'm not a fortune teller. If it's a big purchase like a nice gun, a nice ring, etc we shop together to ensure its the right thing. You can still buy it later and keep it a secret sort of. I picked my wife's stone but I made her give me ideas of preferences and I made her choose the actual setting.

Seriously though, whoever it is, she's a cool lady for trying to get you something you like. She won't be happy if she spent half a grand to a grand on something you don't really like

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, is the Grimmspeed that much worse (with the gap) than the ETS, that would make it worth the hassle?

Nah she probably won't, but I'll have to work out how to send this one back to the vendor, if they even allow me. I'm not sure where it came from.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hood scoop has a seal that keeps the air moving through the intercooler and not around it... So on the GR body style, there is a gap in that seal on the passenger side of the car because it fits so many models, it doesn't fit the GR so well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a pretty decent gap I've read. But I'm sure I could... if it's that good of an intercool that I would build something to fill the gap.

That's honestly what my post was about.... Is the Grimmspeed TMIC good enough to bother with building something to seal that, compared to say the EST that just fits for 100 bucks more. If it performs as well, I'll keep the GrimmSpeed, but if the EST is better, bigger, and just fits correctly as it was designed specifically for the GR models... then it's worth my time to try and swap it out.

I have read the pressure drop in the GS TMIC is supposed to be really good, but I couldn't find any data on the ETS, just a lot of people (on here) swearing by them.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The hood scoop has a seal that keeps the air moving through the intercooler and not around it... So on the GR body style, there is a gap in that seal on the passenger side of the car because it fits so many models, it doesn't fit the GR so well.

Hmm I think I know I what you are talking about. That seal actually scratches the paint off of the intercooler over time. And yea that scratch is more noticeable starting from the driver side which coincides with you saying a gap on the passenger side because the scratch on that side is not as clear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm mostly now trying to find the pressure drop difference between the Grimmspeed and the ETS...

How did the pictures turn out?

·
Registered
249 Posts
grimmspeed will have a custom splitter out for the intercooler shortly. I'd wait. The products they make are top notch and you already have it in your possession.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I was thinking that... I heard they were asking people to bring there cars in for fitting for such a part. I guess I can wait for that.

·
Premium Member
5,278 Posts
You should search for the recent discussion about agar inter coolers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I searched IWSTI, and only found this thread, I searched google, but also didn't find anything specific. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Grimmspeed just released their splitter recently and it's a perfect fit. If you go with GS definitely get the splitter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts