IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not happy with sti seats esp. after spending time in friends evo seats- so.... went onto RECARO website and the have 4 and 5 point harness sport seats that appear to have real nice bolstering and come in black/suede 2 tone that would match are interiors nicely.Cost 595-750 incl. 2-tone. Does anyone have experience with these seats- i was considering leather but decided to forgoe it due to 1- still have a less than optimal seat 2-performance 3-cloth much cooler and 4- recaro's look cool- any feedback

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i would get the SP-GT II,or wait for the wildcat to come out in a different color besides yellow.full FIA approval,with most all other homologation.takata,sparco,or maybe simpson harnesses.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I certainly agree that the stock seats lack adequate bolstering. Hopefully swapping the seats (and losing the airbags) will be an opportunity to shed a few pounds. Seat fitment (to the driver) is a pretty important part of the overall driving experience. Personally I like cloth better than leather.

I also agree that the Evo seats have good fit, as have all the Recaros I've ever sat in.

The Sparco Torino 2 http://www.sparcousa.com/seats_street.asp might be another good choice, assuming it fits in the car properly.

Since my car is a daily driver I would not be willing to give up the reclining feature, although fixed seats would be a little lighter.

I wonder what's involved with retaining the stock height adjustment post swap. Maybe that's not much of an issue. I'm only 5-9 and I have it all the way down... and I still feel like I'm driving a UPS truck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
sciolist said:
I wonder what's involved with retaining the stock height adjustment post swap. Maybe that's not much of an issue. I'm only 5-9 and I have it all the way down... and I still feel like I'm driving a UPS truck.
Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. That was an issue I had with my '02 WRX, and I was looking forward to it being resolved in my STI. Of course, it has left plenty of room for my amplifier under the seat because of it.
Anyone know if going to aftermarket seats helps to lower the seating position? I guess if it does, the head room is going to start looking like a normal 8' ceiling!

M

·
0 Posts
it was easy to swap the height adjustor for the JDM seats, but I don't think it would be possible going to a non STi seat (unless you weren't concerned about being able to sell the STi seats afterwords).

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Have you considered adding a harness like the Schroth Rallye 3 or 4? My Evo-owning friend added the Rallye 3 to his car and likes it a lot.

I'm 6', 235 lbs, so the stock STi seats fit me pretty well. I'd be really cautious about buying an aftermarket seat I haven't tried... A recent issue of Sport Compact Car tested a bunch of different seats with drivers in a range of sizes. That'd be worth a read.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slo- i'm about same size and weight as you- i agree seats are comfortable as a daily drive but not supportive in more aggressive drivig- i will read that article

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hopefully swapping the seats (and losing the airbags) will be an opportunity to shed a few pounds
I've heard this before. Are the airbags inside the seats? Do the JDM seats allow for airbags also?

Folks, I'm a Trauma Nurse by trade and BELIEVE ME you want as much protection in an impact as you can get. You all won't believe how many people in motor vehicle accidents (MVC)s, young and old, end up eating through little tubes in thier bellies for the rest of thier lives. Happens a hundred times a day and it is rarely the drivers fault. Just in a bad place at the wrong time.
John S.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Slowride said:
Have you considered adding a harness like the Schroth Rallye 3 or 4? My Evo-owning friend added the Rallye 3 to his car and likes it a lot.

I'm 6', 235 lbs, so the stock STi seats fit me pretty well. I'd be really cautious about buying an aftermarket seat I haven't tried... A recent issue of Sport Compact Car tested a bunch of different seats with drivers in a range of sizes. That'd be worth a read.
What issue was it in?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
In most cases, swapping to Sparcos (using either their brackets, or the Speedware brackets) will net about 2-3 inches in seating drop. Nice thing about that. . . since you're ready for autocross with them seats. . . you'll also have plenty of headroom even when you put on a helmet for those very events. ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's December. The cover says Drift Dreams and has a white RX-7. They review 73 seats, each tested by five testers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
YEAH THAT ISSUE IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO GET NEW SEATS. It has the individual prices for every seat and also tells you if the seat is either going to be extra tight and barely fit,kinda tights, perfect, a little to loose, or too much space according to your size so it is very imformative IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
someone on another forum swapped the jdm seats into his car and loved them but here is something to think about. jdm seats don't have the side airbags. and removal of the side air bags throws a cel. no after market seats have side airbags either. so if you state has gone to obdII emissions then your screwed. and cel will cause you to fail your emissions test. just food for thought.

M

·
0 Posts
Fixing the Cel is easy, you just shove a 3.3 ohm resistor into the airbag connector and reset the battery. Ten second fix = no cel.

At first, I toyed with the idea of putting the side airbags into my JDM seats, and then I realised if I was in an accident I didn't want the side of my seat to blow out anyways, so decided not to.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Could someone post a copy of the SCC seat review? I missed it on the news stand. That sounds like good information. Maybe even sticky information.

Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
sciolist said:
The Sparco Torino 2 http://www.sparcousa.com/seats_street.asp might be another good choice, assuming it fits in the car properly.
FWIW, I have a Sparco Torino 2 in my RS, and I swap it into my Camaro in the summer. I absolutely love the thing. The material's not as durable as I expected, but it's holding up pretty well, and better than Corbeau or Scat in my experience.

'Course, the JDM STi seats are always the other possibility.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts