IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I know there is a lot of controversy about the rear wing, and I dont intend to restart the debate about the merits of the factory spoiler. I have made the decision that it just does not work for me, and am looking for options. Today I found this picture on the rallispec.com website. The problem is that the website makes no mention of the wing, does anyone know anything about it?

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i dropped 'em an email. i'll post their response when it arrives. did you notice that our wing costs $1150!!!?

http://www.rallispec.com/product-aero2.htm

also, did you see they have a conversion package for a my02-03 to have the new look? $3500. definately cheaper than buying a new car, but wow. it seems hard to justify since it's all show. i guess some/many have spent much more on show mods.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't mean to add fuel to this particular fire....but that "other" wing is a vast improvement in my opinion. I was thinking of throwing a standard WRX wing on the back of my STi but prefer the appearance of that one without a doubt. The STi will be my daily driver and I'd prefer it not shout out "Hey - this car is FAST" due to police density in my area. Let us know what you find out. And nice find too. Thx.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I was going to do the same thing, put a regular WRX wing on, but like you, I prefer this one.

Perhaps this is just the previous generation STi wing? Whatever it is, it looks pretty good to me, and I typically dont like wings, in fact I nearly did not want to buy the car JUST because of it.

4MLA1FN, keep us posted.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
614 Posts
I just saw the car for the 1st time at the NYC Auto Show. The wing was the ONLY thing I wasn't wild about. It just stands out too much for my taste. I was willing to drive it with the wing for as long as it took me to get the "normal" one put on. I don't typically like wings on cars either but actually LIKE the look of that one (from that angle anyway). The original STi wing is the one hang-up the fiancee has with the STi - if I like it and it placates her it's already more functional! Perfect.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
cannot PM anyone...I think

Someone said the wing looks 2 piece and might be easily modified to make it shorter by a body shop..
I will keep my eye on the structure when I see it live @ NY auto show this Saturday...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just remember everyone......keep it practical......What's better, looks or keeping your tail planted!!, which is exactly what the STi spoiler is going to do.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
good point, I personally dont care about the wing.. I KNOW subaru put it there for a REASON, and that is where it is going to stay!!!
It helps @ high speeds (over 100mph) and it DOESNT hurt @ lower speeds..
Wing stays, no matter how it looks.. Plus u can hang your web laundry on it to dry up..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you folsk miss the part of my post where I said I did not want to reopen the debate over the merits of the wing? See that meant I did not want to be lectured about how it necessary to be there. It IS possible for people to have different ideas about it, so let it go.

Michael

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
leadfoot said:
Perhaps this is just the previous generation STi wing?
this one looks like a elevated wrx wing; where the horizontal wing member extends pass upright supports that raise it higher than the stock wrx. i don't think previous STis had this kind of wing. but i'm wrong most of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, hopefully the good folks at Rallispec will let us know soon! The cars are only months away, dont they know we need to know TODAY! :D

Michael

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i think the biggest issue will be whether it is a drop-in replacement; i.e. it uses the same holes and harness. i'm not interested in drill new holes. no way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey leadfoot, I wasn't going to say anthing, but when I hear talk about getting the STi wing cut in half simply for looks, I just can't help myself but to throw out a freindly reminder as to why the STi wing is there in the first place.

·
Registered
986 Posts
you can always try to sell it and then patch the holes. Or if you can get one of the new WRX owners to swap trunk lids (same color would be great). I am thinking an STi with no rear spoiler would a real sleeper.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
56 Posts
That "other" wing is indeed nice looking. I would switch mine in a heartbeat if I didn't have to drill holes and if the price is right...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
soopafly-

I respect what you are saying, my point was simply that I have read all the arguments for both sides of the equation. Yes the wing in functional, but I think there can still be function found , but in a more esthetically pleasing form.

Michael

·
Registered
83 Posts
Does the stock WRX wing provide any downforce or drag reduction benefit? At what speed does it become a benefit?

I'd prefer the sleeper look with no external cues about what is under the hood. Not only does it reduce police interest, but also thieves'.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well put Michael (aka Leadfoot). I agree, as do a few others apparently. This was the 1st time I saw an actual speed quoted where the wings desired effect would begin to be a factor (100mph). I understand the rush of that kinda speed....it's just that I'll probably spend less than 1% of my "STi time" going north of 100. I'm not sure I'm willing to live with the original wing for those rare occasions where it's actually going to have an impact. I also like the "sleeper" factor someone had mentioned previously.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
People talk about not wanting to look fast or advertise, what about the hood scoop. I actually dislike the huge hood scoop more than the wing. I will not be changing either one though. I like it just how it is.

BTW, I think the older STi just had a normal WRX wing. The wing we are getting came with the Prodrive package. That raised WRX wing I think came on a special edition STi, but I don't remember what it was.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts