IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, had a great time at a track event, NHIS, with 04 Sti (7000 miles). After leaving, immediately noticed a creak coming from what seems to the rear window area on un-even pavement, slight bumps, driveways etc. It appears hammering the car around a track loosened up something, like the rear window seal....

So having tried some silcone spray etc with no results, it looks like there are some benefits to a rear strut brace which could help with the issue.

Any recommendations, I've looked at a Cusco carbon fiber and Sti aluminum/pink rear strut brace to date.

Thanks.

S

·
Registered
30 Posts
rear strut bars dont do anything. neither do the front ones.... tested and proven. its just the weather seals... not really much you can do about it

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I disagree about your conclusion. Strut bars on the STI may not make a noticeable performance difference on the STI, but any additional bracing that strut bars provide will reduce the number of creaks you hear in your car as it gets older, especially if you do a lot of canyon driving or autocrossing. While I am not claiming this from personal experience, I have heard many stories about those that installed strut bars when their cars were new and how they had no creaks or bizarre noises inside their car after 20K miles while their friends with the same car and driving habits who did not install the strut bar did. Obviously, not scientific evidence but enough for me to go out and get a set for the front and back.

Additionally, the car feels more solid with them both on, but any difference in hard cornering, other than that (which is a lot if you are picky like me and I want your car to feel as solid as possible), would probably undetectable on a skid pad.

FYI, I have a Cusco rear cf strut bar and a JDM STI front cf strut bar. Both were not difficult to install but the rear did take some additional time since the install space was smaller.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For the rear strut bar how do you handle the trunk panels covering the strut towers, do you punch a hole for the bar or make some cuts into the panel and just bend it back. Can any post or link to pictures of a rear strut bar installed?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dc11r said:
rear strut bars dont do anything. neither do the front ones.... tested and proven.
where are these tests? or did someone just say it and claim it.

Robert~

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I was just going to ask....but figured I'd do the search thing first....and I guess you bought one of the sti replica bars off ebay right? Are you happy with it or would you even consider getting another brand of bar now?

·
Registered
30 Posts
staticx313 said:
dc11r said:
rear strut bars dont do anything. neither do the front ones.... tested and proven.

Robert~

it was the company i work for that contracted a testing lab to do the test. NO strut bars work as advertised.... not for the WRX chassis anyway. The current designs for strut bars nowadays, have been the same for all cars. No one ever bothered to test the claim. Its funny how everyone scrutinizes power figures of an intake, that costs about 100, but never bother to wonder the TRUE effects of $300 strut bars on their cars. They just buy it blindly believing the seller's claims.

BUT we have developed a product that may or may not come out through the company i work for. we dont make products, nor intend to sell products... we just happened to stumble upon this design, and we have an STi as a compnay car... so we just tried it on and were impressed.

i would post the test results, but not right now due to patent-pending issues...among other things....

but if you read some chassis designing books, you can find out a low level chassis torsion test if you wanted... and find the same results we did.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dc11r said:
staticx313 said:
dc11r said:

Robert~

it was the company i work for that contracted a testing lab to do the test. NO strut bars work as advertised.... not for the WRX chassis anyway. The current designs for strut bars nowadays, have been the same for all cars. No one ever bothered to test the claim. Its funny how everyone scrutinizes power figures of an intake, that costs about 100, but never bother to wonder the TRUE effects of $300 strut bars on their cars. They just buy it blindly believing the seller's claims.

Thats because they dont all cost $300... mine costed $30 each.

BUT we have developed a product that may or may not come out through the company i work for. we dont make products, nor intend to sell products... we just happened to stumble upon this design, and we have an STi as a compnay car... so we just tried it on and were impressed.

i would post the test results, but not right now due to patent-pending issues...among other things....

but if you read some chassis designing books, you can find out a low level chassis torsion test if you wanted... and find the same results we did.
well drewster I would say get a strut bar, as I dont believe the whole "test" stuff as me and plenty of other people have noticed differences and its not all in our heads. I know I can outhandle some of the other stock STis around here and I know for a fact that my tires dont squeal near as much, makes me feel much safer, but heck believe what you want. It worked for me and if you dont want to do it, then have at it. So what tests did you do on the strut bars, since many major companies make them and none of them work? Kinda hard to believe that STi, cusco, etc etc would all spend R&D and investment $$$ to make a product that doesnt work, and for ALL of them to do it. So im curious as to what you guys did.

Robert~

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Just to add to Robert's point: Why the hell would Subaru provide a front strut bar, made of carbon fiber no less, on the JDM STI?

I know a recent Subaru magazine "Drive" suggested that the USDM STI does not need a strut bar, but there is a difference between not needing a strut bar because the car is already a top performer, and making he car as rigid as possible whether driving on rough roads in a straight line or flooring it through the twisties.

Oh, and not to diss you any more, but if "your company" had such a fabulous product I am almost positive they would have wanted the world to see it at SEMA, which means this revolutionary breakthrough would have already been announced to the world, which it has not.

I have both a carbon fiber front and rear strut bar on my car and I do notice a difference. I need no additional tests especially from some noname company trying to sell me some competing part that they are touting, a part, unlike a strut bar, that has yet to be proven or accepted by the car enthusiast community as a legitimate performance enhancing item.

I saw you post this in other forum about strut bars and I have not seen any evidence to support your claims, while I have had the benefit of personal experience.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I concur - the strut bar makes a noticeable improvement on STi handling. and my friend who has the same setup on his car, minus the strut bars, noticed the difference when i let him try my car. I wish you success with you new "product," but it is unfair and actually untrue that there is no improvement....

Also, I noted that when you mentioned this same thing on the other thread, you noted that there was less than 1% change in chassis torsion (sorry if i dont have the exact figure quoted). 1) Really?
2) EVEN if this figure is correct, this is a vehicle in a class that is aleady at the edge of its handling capabilities - and minor improvements are the nature of upgrading such vehicles. (how much better can the STi get? we're talkings seconds and fractions all the time)

Again, i wish you success with your new "product", just dont do it at the expense of downplaying your competitors and spreading misinformation to readers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
so britSTi, get the strut bars because the do improve handling of the vehicle. i cant help you with the window creak though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: E-Manage is in! Fuel management available for STi now.

OK, i'm gonna pick up one of these rear bars but which one, the ebay STi replica, Cusco or Whiteline? Anyone got a favorite and do you know who has the best price if I go with a Cusco or Whiteline?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also had a creaking noise around the rear window area. It was solved by taking off the rear plastic cover by the rear seat belts and spraying the area around the welds and in the general area with a produce called WAXOYL. (This available here in the UK). This solved the problem and after 8 months there has been no re occurance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have that exact same noise coming from the rear window which started to happen at about 2200 miles, and I never auto-x'ed my car nor did I drive it really hard through the corners. The noise is quite annoying :(

·
Registered
508 Posts
Is there any difference between the rear strut bar models available for the '02-'03 WRX and what will fit our vechicle? (I know the fronts are the same.)

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
they should fit just fine, i bought the STi replicas off of ebay from XOXO motorsports ... so they should eb just fine.

robert~

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nivek-CA said:
Just to add to Robert's point: Why the hell would Subaru provide a front strut bar, made of carbon fiber no less, on the JDM STI?

I know a recent Subaru magazine "Drive" suggested that the USDM STI does not need a strut bar, but there is a difference between not needing a strut bar because the car is already a top performer, and making he car as rigid as possible whether driving on rough roads in a straight line or flooring it through the twisties.

Oh, and not to diss you any more, but if "your company" had such a fabulous product I am almost positive they would have wanted the world to see it at SEMA, which means this revolutionary breakthrough would have already been announced to the world, which it has not.

I have both a carbon fiber front and rear strut bar on my car and I do notice a difference. I need no additional tests especially from some noname company trying to sell me some competing part that they are touting, a part, unlike a strut bar, that has yet to be proven or accepted by the car enthusiast community as a legitimate performance enhancing item.

I saw you post this in other forum about strut bars and I have not seen any evidence to support your claims, while I have had the benefit of personal experience.
Why would STi put on a CF strut bar? because #1, it sells. #2, it does nothing, but makes people like you and me believe that since the car has the bar, the car handles better and is closer to an actual "race car". #3, CF looks good.. since the bar has little stress to it, then CF is a actually a good material to use for looks.

Is the WRX chassis so good, that adding a strut bar does nothing for it? VERY TRUE. Adding a bar does NOTHING for the chassis.

Why wasnt our product at SEMA? We were at SEMA, but not as a vendor, but as consultants to the OEs. Weare not a parts manufacturer, or have plans to be one. And if youre lucky, it will be released by STi themselves. Talks are under way, but taking a while since everytime we have to talk to them, we have to fly to japan. More and more testing is being done to prove that our product works. That, and the patent process is taking a while. If the deal with STi falls through, we may just contract the part out to a major parts maker and be done with it. We really have no desire to expand the company into a parts maker, as that takes time and lots of money to do.

And final, we did not make a strut bar. We made something else thats pretty trick.

Im here to help you guys. Helping you save money by telling you what those strut bars do and dont do. I mean, what did you want me to say? That strut bars work, but there might be something better coming out soon? or that strut bars dont work, and there might be a better solution coming out soon? you honestly want me to endorse the strut bar myth out there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I bit the bullet and installed the STI rear strut bar, install was easy, fits great and looks good...but the creak seems reduced but is still there... at this point may have to take up the issue with the dealer.. it is worse in cold weather... say 40 Deg. F and below...

Looked up that WAXOYL product, basically a rustproofing wax type thing, so it was welds behing the rear seat belt tensioner that could creak in some instances... this would dismay me in an 04 Sti with 8000 miles...

S

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Well, first let me say that I never bought the strut bars to make my car perform like a sports car or look pretty, although the carbon fiber does look nice. I bought them to reduce the long term effects that canyon running is rumored to have on the Subarus (creaking, for example) and while it may not enhance the vehicle performance a substantial amount, I notice an improvement in the ride quality. In my mind, additional bracing does not hurt if you like a more rigid feeling sedan. I never believed that the STI needed or could stand to gain a whole lot. In fact, an investment in a nice set of tires would do more for handling than just about any mod, depending the stage one is at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts