IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the replacement of the rear quarter panels on STi/Impreza line. I recently had an unfortunate mishap where I had to avoid a moderately sized animal (pretty sure it was a large dog) and ended up grazing a guard rail. The damage isn't horrible but I'm not a fan of reworked metal and bondo, so I had the body shop price out a rear quarter panel. The panel is $600cdn + labour to remove and install. This is all through insurance so the price isn't a huge concern.

What I want to be sure of is that having them replace the entire rear quarter panel isn't going to affect the structural rigidity of the car. I'm assuming it won't since the inner panels are the actual structural body and the exterior quarter panels are basically welded on and are more just a cover + additional reinforcement.

Is there anything I should be concerned about with having the rear quarter panel replaced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had my right rear quarter replaced a little more than a year ago, everything went perfect. Some one decided to use my car to stop theirs in a parking lot! The only thing I had go wrong was the bodyshop forgot to tighten down the euro-spec ski rack bolts beneath the molding on the roof and I had a little water leak into the trunk. The problem was found and fixed, I even got a new spare tire cover and carpet for the troubles.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The rear qtr. panels are part of the "unibody" structure. Improperly installed could result in unibody flex and many other problems, corrision in seams/welds, creaks/squeaks fit of rear doors and glass etc. I am not saying it can not be done, just make sure it is necessary. We repalce many qtr. panels, but we also evalutate the severity of damage before we make the decision to repalce. Repair is not always a bad choice if it can be done properly.Benefits; no change to facotry seams,factory corrision protection stays intact, vin tags stay, no weld damage to roof or rear body panel. Find a GOOD shop! Look in the shop and get some references. Maybe invovle your shop of choice in what they would consider the best repair. Hope it works!

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The reason I'm leaning more towards a new quarter panel is that I want perfection. You know when you get stuff repaired sometimes it just doesn't look quite right? The curvature isn't quite on or there is a little unevenness in the reflection...etc. I guess I just had a bad experience with our RSX that was hit and the body shop did a hideous job, hence the leaning towards a full quarter panel replacement. The worst part of the damage is along the door seam where the metal is "pinched". I also want as little bondo as possible.

I've attached a few pictures, you can tell me what you think. I just want my STi to look new again...is that too much to ask? :lol:

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
the rear quarter panel isn't excatly just a quarter panel.

as i'm sure you're aware it goes all the way up the c-pillar, roof, then A-pillar

if you want them to fully replace it they will most likely cut right at the c pillar and then weld the new rear panel on.

but then again I'm no body shop.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
it looks like your rear fender flare was messed up, i think the door and the body itself can be buffed out. SHould try that first. :tup:

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KiTsuNe said:
it looks like your rear fender flare was messed up, i think the door and the body itself can be buffed out. SHould try that first. :tup:
I wish it was that easy. The scuffs are right down to the primer and metal at some parts. The rear fender flare (not the trim) is completely gone, as in pushed in. That won't buff out. I'll get a better pic tomorrow. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts