IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when installing the rear endlinks does the car have to sit on the floor or can you jack up the car and change them like that?

·
Registered
277 Posts
evokillinSTi said:
when installing the rear endlinks does the car have to sit on the floor or can you jack up the car and change them like that?
Anything is possible, but using ramps and changing the endlinks under load is preferable. Or so I'm told. I did it on a ramp lift and it was cake.

·
3,274 Posts
I remember reading everywhere that when installing sway bars/endlinks the suspension needed to be under load, so when I did the front and rears I did it under load.

Then I switched my front bar for another one and installed that and the endlinks while the car was on a lift and the suspension wasn't under any load.

Both times the install was cake.

I say do whatever is easiest for you to do. Both should work out the same.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I adjusted my swaybar settings with the car on the ground at an autocross last weekend... let me tell you, getting under the exhaust on a lowered car is a real pain in the ass. Fortunately, I'm skinny. :D

Now I need to go back in and re-Loctite the stupid things because they're making noise...

I don't think you have anything to worry about by lifting it up to do it. Just keep an eye on it when you're letting the car down to make sure the bar doesn't flip.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
The ideal way to install the endlinks is to have it on the ground at the set ride height. The way I have always done it on any car I've worked on is to install everything and start the threads on the endlink bolts/and nuts while it's in the air. Then, you let it down (preferably on ramps), jounce/bounce the car a few times or roll it back and forth. Afterwards, crawl under the car and torque the endlink bolts/nuts down. This way you eliminate/reduce any unwanted pre-load.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i just jacked my car up while installing the kartboy endlinks. i also you another jack to lift bottom of the suspension to align it hole. you should take your wheels off, its very hard to work with the wheel on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts