IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got more than filings on the mag plug... It was more like filings and about 5 - 6 1cm pieces of metal... Diff seems to be operating fine, has never made any funny noises or anything...

Edit:

Heres the pics:

How how this look to you guys? I know LSD will put off some metal... but this is a little.....

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
:eek: Me thinks your dif is coming from untogether. +1 for having it looked at asap. That is def not normal.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Your rear diff is trashed, make sure you take those pieces to the dealer. Under normal wear, all you will get is some gray/black gunk on the magnetic plug.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Singletrack said:
Your rear diff is trashed, make sure you take those pieces to the dealer. Under normal wear, all you will get is some gray/black gunk on the magnetic plug.
I threw the pieces out, but emailed the pics to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
damn james! that's crazy. i'd def have that looked at.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a 2002 WRX used in 2003. When it had about 27000 miles I changed my rear diff. fluid and it looked just like your picture. I drove it until 60000 miles with no problems but it ALWAYS haunted me.

It definately isn't normal to have chunks like that. I only told my story to let you know it happens to other people, too. The STi diff is ALOT stronger than the WRX so yours looks surprising. If you can, get it looked at sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Holy crap, looks like it is a good thing there is a magnet in that drain plug otherwise you would have had some seriously unfriendly chunks floating around in your rear diff. Good luck man, I hope you figure out a plan of action soon.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dug the particles out of the trash, emailed the pics to the dealer, they are emailing subaru about it. They are acting like they don't want to fix it currently, but I am NOT going to roll over. They are going to fix it. My clutch is on the way out, I'm not going after that becuase I feel that is my fault, HOWEVER, I don't feel this is my fault, and they will pay to fix it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
How many miles are on that '05? If your clutch is on its way out, and your rear diff is in pieces..there may be more to this story than your saying.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
DoubleURX said:
How many miles are on that '05? If your clutch is on its way out, and your rear diff is in pieces..there may be more to this story than your saying.
^^^ Agreed. Depending on the mileage and how bad your clutch is they could probably pull the abuse card on you and stick you with the bill.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Pitcherman said:
^^^ Agreed. Depending on the mileage and how bad your clutch is they could probably pull the abuse card on you and stick you with the bill.
+1

I would also add that since you are running a 12.675, you obviously have some power mods. I also see that your "favorite mod" is meth. Maybe your dealer will be nice and cover it, but since you are running at an increased power level, I doubt they will. It's been said a billion time, you've got to pay to play.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Warranty denied. Only power mods are intake, exhaust, tune and meth. WTB used r180!!!!!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
sorry to hear james. how much did they quote you for the fix?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DoubleURX said:
I auto-x maybe 8 times a summer, and drag occasionally. I have veery mild power mods. I was under the assumption the sti was well built. I am disappointed it hasn't held up very well at all. CLutch is fine for daily driving, but cant be doesnt like aggressive starts.

·
Registered
896 Posts
xrocket21 said:
I auto-x maybe 8 times a summer, and drag occasionally. I have veery mild power mods. I was under the assumption the sti was well built. I am disappointed it hasn't held up very well at all. CLutch is fine for daily driving, but cant be doesnt like aggressive starts.
That sucks man. You must have a rare case, because I have ~30 drag passes on my stock driveline with no issues. My clutch slipped once at the strip in the 90° weather, but that was it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts