IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a slight problem..ive had my car for about a year now (05 sti) and i just recently noticed a SLIGHT leak from around the drivers side of the rear diff right around the bottom of the axle....its not bad enough to the point where it drips. It just slowly runs from that area...any ideas? I have searched and found that a bunch of people have this problem but they didnt really explain what the problem was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

· Banned
7,514 Posts
Chances are it's the axle seal. Have you done anything like remove the rear springs and struts for a suspension change? Some folks have reported that the axle slips out sometimes when doing that. It may be as simple as making sure the axles is pushed in all the way.

-clint

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did recently do coilovers on the car but i already tried pushing it in and it seems to be all the way in....im guessing its the axle seal..are there any write ups on how to do this? I heard its easy to damage the seal while replacing it

· Registered
1,867 Posts
slowsti05 said:
Hey guys i have a slight problem..ive had my car for about a year now (05 sti) and i just recently noticed a SLIGHT leak from around the drivers side of the rear diff right around the bottom of the axle....its not bad enough to the point where it drips. It just slowly runs from that area...any ideas? I have searched and found that a bunch of people have this problem but they didnt really explain what the problem was. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
I had the same issue with my rear diff but on the left side. I found it when I was installing my exhaust. It turns out that the bolts holding the plate on were so loose that I could tighten them with my fingers. So, I tightened them and took it to the dealership and told them what I found. They replaced the seal and serviced the diff.

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Today I just had my diff replaced under warranty. It should definately be covered, as it was with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.