IW STi Forum banner

Rear brake replacements

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Tifosi 
#1 ·
Looking for the most ideal rear brake rotors and pad replacements for my 2018 Subaru wrx Sti, dealership wants to charge me 1,700$ for brakes don’t really want to replace them for that much need some thoughts from you guys on what to buy for the most ideal price, brakes are important not cheaping out just not 1,700$ lol

#7 · (Edited)
OEM brakes are one of the STI parts that are clearly not worth what they charge for them.
There are plenty of great options for less. Start at the with KNS brake site and all the other usual online performance sites.

KNS Brakes

If you are going to $400 on rotors you can at least end up with lighter fronts like two piece DBA T3 5000 . . .

Pads? So many to choose from :) I'm very happy with the Porterfields RS4-S on my 2020. All my other experience is in GD brakes. Ferrodo DS-2500s are good but ridiculously dusty. I liked the Project U B-Force were different longest lived and easiest on rotors. They had no bite and lasted forever and the rotors with em. But they could be scary wet. Still I liked em ! ! ! Probably can't get em anyway. Not and Hawk fan. They work . . .

So many though !

#11 ·
OEM brakes are one of the STI parts that are clearly not worth what they charge for them.
There are plenty of great options for less. Start at the with KNS brake site and all the other usual online performance sites.

KNS Brakes

If you are going to $400 on rotors you can at least end up with lighter fronts like two piece DBA T3 5000 . . .

Pads? So many to choose from :) I'm very happy with the Porterfields RS4-S on my 2020. All my other experience is in GD brakes. Ferrodo DS-2500s are good but ridiculously dusty. I liked the Project U B-Force were different longest lived and easiest on rotors. They had no bite and lasted forever and the rotors with em. But they could be scary wet. Still I liked em ! ! ! Probably can't get em anyway. Not and Hawk fan. They work . . .

So many though !
Im surprised, I thought you really like the Project Mu B-force pads. I think they have some pretty good bite hot and cold. I've never found them to be effected by rain or weather conditions. Im on my second set, I think theyre great.

How do you like the Porterfields? Better/worst compared to the Project Mu's??

#15 ·
You can buy OEM brake rotors directly from Brembo USA at a significantly lowered price than from Subaru USA/Dealership. Do keep in mind, due to the COVID pandemic, they have been having difficulty keeping up with demand for obvious reasons.

www.brembostoreusa.com
I appreciate it very much man I think that’s the move that I’ll be going or looking more into DBA and hawk pads :) thank you very much for the info instead of crapping on me like the Facebook group I’m in 😂😂

#12 ·
Well, I did like the Project U B-forces - despite what I wrote - enough that I mention em. Going on 10 yeas ago I did a whole break system at once. DBA T400s all round. Two piece fronts. Stainless lines, Project Us. It's tough to know which parts did what. The didn't have any bite - but that made them very controllable. You had to use real strength for fast stops. Really difficltu to activate ABS. The system/pads that were on the car when I bought it were all bite. Far to easy to break things loose. have to say that the first time i'd ever been complete off a front seat being restrained by a seat belt was due to someone stopping going down a on a bridge. I appreciated the control the Project mUs gave me. I think it on the street that became more important after the car was built. Getting down from high speeds can be as dangerous as getting to them. I'd be running on both STIs now if they were available.

I think/suspect the Porterfield's are very good. I don't and can't push the 2020 like the 05 which has Hawks HP+s on it now. They work . . . but i'm not impressed.

Reactions: Jay11STI
#17 ·
Well, I did like the Project U B-forces - despite what I wrote - enough that I mention em. Going on 10 yeas ago I did a whole break system at once. DBA T400s all round. Two piece fronts. Stainless lines, Project Us. It's tough to know which parts did what. The didn't have any bite - but that made them very controllable. You had to use real strength for fast stops. Really difficltu to activate ABS. The system/pads that were on the car when I bought it were all bite. Far to easy to break things loose. have to say that the first time i'd ever been complete off a front seat being restrained by a seat belt was due to someone stopping going down a on a bridge. I appreciated the control the Project mUs gave me. I think it on the street that became more important after the car was built. Getting down from high speeds can be as dangerous as getting to them. I'd be running on both STIs now if they were available.

I think/suspect the Porterfield's are very good. I don't and can't push the 2020 like the 05 which has Hawks HP+s on it now. They work . . . but i'm not impressed.
Hmmm you make an interesting point about the Project Mu....predictability. Ive had the same brake combo for like 9 years. Its very predictable and I feel like I dont really have to use much brake effort to slow down. Maybe Im just used to it after all theses years. Although the times I really did have to slow down from a high speed, oh sh*t situation, (tail of the dragon) I did have to put my foot into it. Maybe it was just circumstantial, too many variables.

I did have stoptech pads once. They were alright but kinda sloppy in my opinion. I wouldn't get them again, at least not for this car. Project Mu's were night and day difference in terms of improvement. I think for a daily with spirited and agressive driving, they're perfect. Predictability is key for day to day use in my opinion.

#16 ·
I just ordered some Brembo pads from tirerack.com for $101 shipped for the front and rear.

I got the NAO Ceramics . I dont think I need rotors yet, but when I do ill probably get some slotted. I saw a few youtube videos and it looks really simple to do.

Good luck!
Thank you man!! I appreciate it, it truly doesn’t look hard to do, I am used to regular ceramic brakes on cars without brembos so that was the only hesitant part I ran into lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.