IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this belongs here...please move to interior if its wrong.

Reguarding how boost gauges read, which one is more universal or usable?

I'd have to say i think psi is more accurate but i see that JDM is in bars?
Can someone convince me that psi is better then bars? I want bars because it seems like no one has it and its JDM :lol:. The psi is easier to find and seem more accurate though.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Get PSI, BAR would be useless, unless of course you are just getting the gauge for bling. Then, do whatever 1337 thing your heart desires.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what i figured nhluhr, Looks like im going the PSI route :lol:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Most people prefer PSI because that's what they know. Its what they can relate to when they read all the american magazines and read all the stats.

One isn't more accurate than the other - its just a unit of measurement. Its like saying centimetres are more accurate than inches.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
nhluhr said:
I like psi, myself. Easier to refer to 14 or 15 psi instead of 0.96 or 1.03 bar.

Yeah I asked my dad the other day how much psi the porsche was boosting at, he referred to it in bars. Retroooo

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Our stock boost gauges are actually in MPa, not bars unless you went aftermarket... Megapascals?? Yeah, I'd go with Psi if I was going to buy another one.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
SonicBoom said:
Our stock boost gauges are actually in MPa, not bars unless you went aftermarket... Megapascals??
Pascals is the SI unit, so Subaru got it right, everything else is non-standard ;).

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I went PSI cause i am to lazy to do the conversion. But I think it's all the same.

·
Registered
667 Posts
MPa FTW!!! Ricers have not idea what the hell MPa is. :lol:

They ask about what boost I'm running and I tell them .1 MPa and the look on their face is PRICELESS. :lol:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
get what you're most comfortable with and is most useful to you. if you don't understand what a "bar" is or represents, go w/ psi. a gauge is useless if you don't know what it's telling you.

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
One isn't more accurate than the other - its just a unit of measurement. Its like saying centimetres are more accurate than inches.
Centimeters are not more accurate than inches, but it is fair to say, since there are 2.54 centimeters per inch, that measurements expressed in cm tend to be more precise than measurements expressed in inches.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
ACHAHockey said:
Yeah I asked my dad the other day how much psi the porsche was boosting at, he referred to it in bars. Retroooo
I dunno but the stock Porsche boost gauges (the one in the trip computer right under the tach on 996+) also read in bar, rather than PSI.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
SonicBoom said:
Our stock boost gauges are actually in MPa, not bars unless you went aftermarket... Megapascals?? Yeah, I'd go with Psi if I was going to buy another one.

Correct about the stock gauge. I wish I had gone the aftermarket route now, as PSI is a definite convenience to read.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Centimeters are not more accurate than inches, but it is fair to say, since there are 2.54 centimeters per inch, that measurements expressed in cm tend to be more precise than measurements expressed in inches.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
05_GD7 said:
accurate=correct. precise=number of decimals.
Lets say we have a number 6.
it is accurate to say that the number is 6. it is precise to say that it is 6.00000
It is precise, but inaccurate, to say that the number is 5.00005
it is precise and accurate to say that the number is 6.00000000000000 etc
see?
(and a common mistake is using more precision than is possible/available/accurate, for example measuring the above 6.0000000 inches using a yardstick.)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Fellas, I wasn't debating the semantics of using accurate vs precise.

My original :confused: :confused: :confused: was directed that somehow inches are more "precise" than centimeters.

The guy was basically saying that because 2.54 centimeters is 1 inch, that the unit of centimeters is more precise when he said this:
that measurements expressed in cm tend to be more precise than measurements expressed in inches.
Well the opposite can be said for inches, because 1 "imprecise" centimeter = a more precise 0.393700787 inches. By his logic, now the inch unit is more precise.

I just found that funny, thats all.

Now back to the BAR vs PSI vs MPa argument. I'm sure that if all the Subaru, Cobb, UTEC, whatever documentation expressed everything in MPa, then we'd be loving our stock boost gauge (assuming it was ACCURATE). But because the unit of MPa is foreign to most of us, we don't like the gauge. Just like if our speedometers for some reason came in FT/SEC instead of MPH. We'd be pretty anxious to swap that thing out wouldn't we??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts