IW STi Forum banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
jeez after an hour of researching countless posts and threads on BOV's, i'd have to same my conclusion is BOV's are more like a deal with the devil than anything... everybody's saying 'don't get it!' then there's the few people pushing you to get it with no experience whatsoever or post count for that matter, and then there's the devil in the background saying come on dude it'll sound sickkk bro, do it!

though i think i'm still gonna put mine on because my friend sold it to me for $50 so i guess i might as well. if it cost anymore i'd say fuk it no wayyy. all in all i think it'd save a lotta headache for the forum norms + forum space if BOV's just didn't exist haha.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My boost gauge doesn't go into vacuum. It stays in boost between flat foot shifts. So how would the bov or bpv be venting? It can't in boost

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just installed a bov. When I flat foot, it doesn't vent. So if you use flat foot shifting, blow off valves wont impact your hp negatively. I can't be the first one to notice this...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Short and Sharp Advice .... Buy Recirculate BOV , Set the Washer Right ... You should be fine using BOV for 200.000 miles ,.... TIAL is good brand ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
i picked up a greddy type-s black top for $45... now i just need the adapter plate for my 2011 wrx and ill post some pic.s.... i just went threw all 15 pages....it was like pulling teeth! any, anybody know where i can get the bov to intercooler adapter plate for a good price??? o ya and ima re-cert it aswell

·
Registered
148 Posts
Atmospheric BOVs have been ran on MAF cars for decades ... there are two downsides to this:

1) Stalling ... if you lift and go to neutral the engine can stall out.

2) It should not be ran on a car with a catalyst. It's hard on them.

The split second the engine is rich from when you lift is not a big deal. If you are shifting hard there is no difference between a BPV and a BOV. The BPV does route the metered air back into the turbo, but air post intercooler is going to be re-heated and that can lead to detonation under high boost pressures and/or soaked intercooler conditions.

The reason OEMs route the air back is driveability.

I ran atmospheric for years and kinda chuckle when people make it a big deal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Let me ask...what car(s) you ran a atmospheric BOV?
I've driven WRXs, Evos, 911s, 944s, Skylines, Supras, 240SXs, etc. etc. etc. that had no major issues running atmospheric. I was in the industry for almost a decade and have been exposed to all sorts of setups.

Take it for what you will. It's just my opinion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I talked to EFI logics and they confirmed that with the new update with speed density that BOVs won't have any adverse effects anymore as long as you're properly tuned for it.
Nonetheless it's still a waste of money imo, only gains you'll have is an increase in sound... and if that's what you're into then I guess it's worth it, not my thing though

·
Registered
360 Posts
^ was just able to post... Seems like Cobb's new update with Speed Density allows you to run a BOV... But yes, it'd be JUST for the sound and have no gains

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
So with so much pros and cons is it really just a judgement call? Sound vs no sound? Rich vs lean? Or they safe?
Convert to speed density and you can run as big a BOV as you want without side effects

141 - 159 of 159 Posts