IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
hahah sorry im too lazy to read through these 13 pages
so i read the first two and all it was saying was running rich..
a couple of my friends told me that if i get a bov my car will die sometime??
is this true? and how would i fix this?
they both told me two different things.. a little confused

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It won't die, but it's not doing much for you. If you want the sound, get it; if you care about peroformance more don't waste your money. I'm going with Crawfords FMIC, the utilize the blow-thru (I believe that's what it's called) method.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It won't die, but it's not doing much for you. If you want the sound, get it; if you care about peroformance more don't waste your money. I'm going with Crawfords FMIC, the utilize the blow-thru (I believe that's what it's called) method.
Actually it can die on your. A lot of them times, BOV's can leak or have the wrong spring in them, causing a poor idle and leads to your engine cutting off.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Very well then, I had one on my 06 STI. Didn't care for it after awhile, but never had any issues.

But my point mainly was that they are pretty much pointless, I'm sure we can agree with that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought my 08 Sti completely stock, with the exception of the HKS BOV, which the previous owner had installed.
Personally, I thought the car ran like crap stock. So I started ordering parts and asking you guys questions.
I have installed a CBE a bunch of bushing upgrades, and the Cobb AP, tuned to stage 1. Ran better, but still crappy.:mad:
After reading this thread, I ordered the Recirculation Kit for my HKS BOV, to plumb it back into the intake. I installed it last night and I am completely SHOCKED at what a difference it made!:D
Now the car runs smoothly through the shifts and way better during on/off throttle situations. It's a whole different experience, I love it!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing I personally think alot of people on here forget is that not everyone knows about this stuff. Alot of people come on the forums to learn and this forum is pretty bad with flamming people who dont understand, not to mention being very short answered. Don't get me wrong im sure everyone here is very thankful for the good answers that they do receive. That being said One thing that I noticed going through these 13 pages is that alot of people talk about going fmic and blow thru, but noone once explains what that means. Those of you who have either seen it or have it completly understand it but for people like me who this is my first turbo car and the area isnt huge on support I have no clue what going fmic would do for a too rich bov. I have the issue that the car idles perfect but in parking lots espically in reveres the car just dies.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
One thing I personally think alot of people on here forget is that not everyone knows about this stuff. Alot of people come on the forums to learn and this forum is pretty bad with flamming people who dont understand, not to mention being very short answered. Don't get me wrong im sure everyone here is very thankful for the good answers that they do receive. That being said One thing that I noticed going through these 13 pages is that alot of people talk about going fmic and blow thru, but noone once explains what that means. Those of you who have either seen it or have it completly understand it but for people like me who this is my first turbo car and the area isnt huge on support I have no clue what going fmic would do for a too rich bov. I have the issue that the car idles perfect but in parking lots espically in reveres the car just dies.
I had no knowledge on blow through tubes but I found this by searching on google. It explains what they do.

Perrin Performance - Blow-thru Boost Tube

If you have any specific questions make a thread. It hasn't been covered on the site (unlike BOV's on the stock setup) and I promise you won't get flamed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Say what you will, I like the sound that BOVs make. I'm still stock at the moment, but I was wanting to get the RFL valve and plumb it back into the bypass hose. That way it sounds cool and won't run like crap.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Say what you will, I like the sound that BOVs make. I'm still stock at the moment, but I was wanting to get the RFL valve and plumb it back into the bypass hose. That way it sounds cool and won't run like crap.
Do the silencer delete first. You may like it enough and not have to buy a BOV. :tup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, Ive got a question I havent found an answer to. Ive just bought an 04 STi, and my first project is to recirculate the HKS BOV that it came with. Ive got the adapter piece, and Im be sourcing some hose locally. I understand that when the throttle body closes, the BOV's function is to purge air. How much boost does it take to cause the BOV to function? Im trying to determine if mine requires any adjusting while Im under the hood. I dont hear it going off if Im just driving normally around town (shift between 3k and 3.5k RPM's), and due to inexperience I personally dont know if this is normal. Ive only heard it going off when Im accelerating for the highway thus far. I can get some specific numbers (RPM's, boost guage reading at time BOV goes off) if it helps. I appreciate any input I can get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chime in if I'm wrong, but you'd want to loosen up the spring tension to just before the threshold of it not holding boost. That is, just enough spring pressure to hold it at peak boost. Then, you'd have great responsiveness at vacuum and you don't have to worry about idle lope since it's bypassing the turbo, duplex.

Also, make sure you understand the placement of the bypass hose and its double function of reducing intake drag during vacuum, since the engine can draw air straight from the inlet hose, bypassing the turbo and i/c before you hit boost.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chime in if I'm wrong, but you'd want to loosen up the spring tension to just before the threshold of it not holding boost. That is, just enough spring pressure to hold it at peak boost. Then, you'd have great responsiveness at vacuum and you don't have to worry about idle lope since it's bypassing the turbo, duplex.

Also, make sure you understand the placement of the bypass hose and its double function of reducing intake drag during vacuum, since the engine can draw air straight from the inlet hose, bypassing the turbo and i/c before you hit boost.

And welcome to the forum!
Hey, appreciate the welcome! :tup: And the input as well. After lots of reading and weighing my options, Ive decided to go back to stock w/ the bypass valve, have a factory OEM one on its way. Thanks again. :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I read all 14 pages of this thread. I've looked through all of the suggested BOV threads and could not find an answer to my question/situation. I'll post here instead of starting a new thread because I believe this thread has some useful info and maybe I can cause some more to be added to it, I hope.

My setup; 04 Sti rotated dominator 3 internally wastegated, FMIC, Perrin recirculated BOV, short ram intake utilizing MAF tuned with open-source. currently 20 psi boost. (eventually more hopefully) I recently removed a turboXS VTA BOV (I hated how loud it was, but more so the ridiculously rich then lean condition it caused) and went recirculated. it runs a little better, I think I need to rescale the MAF now though.

heres a photo;

the issue is this; even at low throttle settings I am hearing a lot of "flutter" "ff ffa fah ffe" kinda sound. I want to know if I can eliminate the flutter with my perrin and still have good BOV function?

For those not familiar with the perrin you can adjust the spring tension and the distance the valve will open at maximum. They say you can mount it in either direction and it will only open in response to vacuum applied to nipple.

I know the synchronic doesnt do the fluttering, do I have to drop the dime on that one to get rid of it? Will turning it around have any affect?

if no one knows I'll try some adjustments and post my results. How do you tune a BOV for that matter? I saw on this thread that you just adjust the spring tension for maximum boost you plan to run without leaking and leave it at that, is that right?
how do you estimate how far the valve should open at maximum?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good thread, lots of info. Although it does make me afraid to ask any specific question about a BPV/BOV (for fear of the banhammah). Should steer teh nubz in the correct direction!

121 - 140 of 159 Posts