IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like a good time, almost as good as bubb rubb's whistle tip, only more expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I forgot to mention. I did notice the "Pop Pop Bang Bang" out the muffler, it was not loud but it was happening.

BTW BigRigger, I hear what you are saying. Like I stated, I tried it and it was a bit rough, noting too crazy, but for me I can tell the difference. I have read some people have had no issues to little. From what I felt, I can see how it's not a huge ordeal, i just personally feel the car likes the BPV vs BOV.

Good luck with it :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
KOSTI said:
I forgot to mention. I did notice the "Pop Pop Bang Bang" out the muffler, it was not loud but it was happening.

BTW BigRigger, I hear what you are saying. Like I stated, I tried it and it was a bit rough, noting too crazy, but for me I can tell the difference. I have read some people have had no issues to little. From what I felt, I can see how it's not a huge ordeal, i just personally feel the car likes the BPV vs BOV.

Good luck with it :)

that "pop pop bang bang" and or back fire was a result of that bov running your car to rich IMO

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
everyone is talking about one extreme or the other, as far as recirc or atmosphere. what does everyone think about a 50/50? now that we understand that the full atmosphere is no good... has anyone had any experience with a 50/50??? any opinions on the 50/50??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was about to get a new Hks bov for 2004 sti, but after going through this thread finally decide to spend in some performance parts.

Thanks Guys...:)

·
A.X.D.
5,114 Posts
howboutthemapplz said:
everyone is talking about one extreme or the other, as far as recirc or atmosphere. what does everyone think about a 50/50? now that we understand that the full atmosphere is no good... has anyone had any experience with a 50/50??? any opinions on the 50/50??
i have a 50/50 for over a year now - it's better than a full venting BOV, but it's still not as good as a full recirculating (although my car was tuned for my BOV/BPV and other mods).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Majin said:
i have a 50/50 for over a year now - it's better than a full venting BOV, but it's still not as good as a full recirculating (although my car was tuned for my BOV/BPV and other mods).
What made you decide to go with a 50/50 over a full recircluating valve? On that note, I know in the rally vids I've watched you can hear the BOV... is that a 50/50 as well, or is it full recirc and its just very noisy? Or something else?

·
A.X.D.
5,114 Posts
i went with a 50/50 because i wanted the BOV sound and some backfire, but not a rich stumble that couldn't be mostly corrected with a protune.

i am uncertain of the rally cars.

·
resigned
5,610 Posts
Those rally cars are a completely different animal. Other than the general shape of the body and displacement of the motor, there are no real similarities.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great thread. I also put my old Blitz BOV from my old rex onto my STi, just for giggles and time killing. Anyway, although the car makes lots of cool noises, like compressor surge flutter, hissing noise with no boost, pssshh between WOT shifts, and bang-bang from the exhaust, but I can tell my car is telling me to take this POS off. The car drove like crap, made me feel like I was driving a Dodge Shadow from the 80s, so I took it off right after and went for a drive with the stock BPV, much nicer, everything went back to normal. It was nice to kill an hour though. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Ok so from this thread we can deduce that there are a lot BOV cons. I still dont see any pro's... :notsure:Do they exist? The noise doesnt count.

·
A.X.D.
5,114 Posts
depending on your aftermarket BOV/BPV you may need one after running higher than approximately 22 PSI. someone that knows the exact limit on the OE BPV could chime in with less ambiguous info. :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
depending on your aftermarket BOV/BPV you may need one after running higher than approximately 22 PSI. someone that knows the exact limit on the OE BPV could chime in with less ambiguous info. :D
When my tuner dynoed my 06 STi with a 20G, he went to around 22-23 lbs. of boost, and the stock bpv would not stay closed, so I had to get a bov.

·
A.X.D.
5,114 Posts
you can crush the OE BPV so that the spring's set is closer to the valve itself, in turn increasing the amount of boost the valve will stay shut against. you only have one chance to do it right though, so if your tuner is familiar with this "mod" and has done it already, i would probably let your tuner crush it.

i was more comfortable with just getting a BPV/BOV instead that has the ability to recirculate 100%.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a few further questions. Is anyone running a blow through MAF after the BOV? If so, theoretically it wouldn't matter right?
Also, does a BPV reduce lag between shifts with larger turbo's?

How does the spring rate (15 lb, 7 lb ect) rating in a BPV or BOV compare to your boost levels?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Ok so from this thread we can deduce that there are a lot BOV cons. I still dont see any pro's... :notsure:Do they exist? The noise doesnt count.
The only reason I know for using BOV is that if you are using Hydra of other EM and running w/o the MAF. If you have a ball bearing turbo, why not try to run it w/o BOV or BVP like Crawford does? modaddicts car runs very nice w/o the BVP/BOV

If you are using the stock turbo, just stick with the stock BPV :):tup:

41 - 60 of 159 Posts