IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed something while having my wheels off the car to install my STi mud flaps. I already had them rotated and the guy doing it pointed out that they are not marked directional but we did not really look at the tread. The tires are only marked outside. This makes the tread kind of point in opposite directions on one side of the car compared to the other. I wonder why it is like this, how or if it makes them perform better. Take a look on your STi or look at the pic in this link to see what I mean...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE070&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR7RE070&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
963 Posts
I see what you're saying there.

But I think having the tires marked with the "OUTSIDE" makes them directional as well... it's just a different term for the same thing.

Don't know how much that helps... :p

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but by only marking them ouside they are turing or rotating a different way on one side of the car compared to the other and the tread will face a different way on one side compared to the other. Directional usually has a mark with an arrow that shows the way the tire should be rotating.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Hmmm...that is interesting. I'd noticed that before but never really thought about it. Most directionals I've ever seen have "LEFT" or "RIGHT" written on them, like you said.

Guess it doesn't matter much. We have em going both ways on the car now, right?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my drivers side tire's tread kind of angles back but the pass side tread angles forward. If you look at the tire in the pic I linked to you can kind of picture it by keeping the outside, outside on both sides of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My new badges!

Rotated or not the tread is angled different on one side compared to the other. Why would not rotate radial tires side to side?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hmm, mine don't look directional at all. Took both fronts off together and compared them side/by/side and the tread looked the same

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can't be, I mean I know the tread is the same but the groves angle differently on one side to the other. I will have to take a couple pics to show what I mean.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Every corner has the exact same tire on it. You are taking into account the tires are facing different directions on each side of the car, right? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course :) I stood there and looked at them for a while to make sure I was not seeing things. The outsides are on the outside on all 4 but since the tread pattern has angled groves or slits they face in different directions on one side compared to the other. It's not a big deal, I was just kind of surprised when I first noticed it. I will take some pics to show what I mean.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I took off both rears and placed them side by side facing the same direction and they were exactly the same. Did the same with the fronts too. There are no arrows pointing a rotational direction (like all the other directional tires I've owned).

·
Registered
282 Posts
One pissed off Guero (debaged by thugs)

Hahaha... thanks Rob. For some reason I thought MKIV was saying the treads were different. I'm posting too late at night I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the treads are exactly the same which is kind of the problem, when you put them side by side with the outside of the tires and wheels facing the same direction. Now when you put them on the car you have the outsides of the tires facing opposite directions from one side to the other so the angled grooves in the tread are now facing differect directions. This is getting ridiculous. :lol: I am going out later to retorque the lugs since it's been over 600 miles since I had them off, and I will take some pics. Now I am wondering, maybe I was seeing things. I had to stare at them for a while before I initially came to my conclusion, so maybe I stared a little too long.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Wow...this is driving you nuts man. YES...WE KNOW!!!! THEY AREN'T DIRECTIONAL! If you take two identical tires and put them on different sides of the car, you just rotated one 180 degrees from the other. That means the tread will be orientated 180 degrees from the other.

Are we missing something here......I think this all makes sense to everyone.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HELLLLLOOOOOO????

OK, so back to my original question then... why does the tread kind of point in different directions on one side of the car compared to the other? Is there some benefit to it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think the benefit is that there is only one design for the tire, instead of a left and a right side design. The part of benefit we see is relfected in the price.

·
Registered
362 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
I noticed something while having my wheels off the car to install my STi mud flaps. I already had them rotated and the guy doing it pointed out that they are not marked directional but we did not really look at the tread. The tires are only marked outside. This makes the tread kind of point in opposite directions on one side of the car compared to the other. I wonder why it is like this, how or if it makes them perform better. Take a look on your STi or look at the pic in this link to see what I mean...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE070&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=245WR7RE070&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes
This picture is what the tread looks like on my passenger side. Driver side is turned 180deg from that.

Is this how yours are?

Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts