IW STi Forum banner

RE070's in rain on a track

Tires/Wheels 
2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DChan 
#1 ·
Well, tomorrow myself and Chris05STi are going to a track day at POCONO,Pa. RAIN OR SHINE, they all said today...How do you think the tires will hold up in this supposed HEAVY HEAVY RAIN???:eek: :eek: :eek:

#6 ·
triple_s1x said:
Put it this way unless you completly suck at driving, driving in the rain a few times will make you alot smoother.
Nah I'm ok...better is good, I wanna learn what the car does in all conditions and this is definitely a good way, but I can't wait till the fun in the snow...:naughty:

#11 ·
evilSTi7 said:
driving in the rain is good. you'll learn about the handling of your car muuuuch better than you would in the dry. The re070's aren't bad in the ran, just make sure you don't drive like CHRIS. have fun!
Fixed! :lol:

You'll be ok, Take it steady on first session learning how much grip you have.
:tup:

#13 ·
Just dont end up like an sti a few months ago @ mid-ohio, rain on the back straight, and ended up in the wall... yikes.

Just play it safe, go at your own pace and get an instructor to help you learn the rain line, etc etc. Be sure to look ahead for standing water =X

#14 ·
Living where the tarmac is wet most of the time in winter, I'm very impressed with the stockers. Their major drawback is standing water (puddles). When you hit standing water, it will really pull the wheel to that side. As a rule of thumb, if I can see the texture of the tarmc, I'm OK. It may take a few laps to learn where puddles are.

#16 ·
ORSTi said:
Living where the tarmac is wet most of the time in winter, I'm very impressed with the stockers. Their major drawback is standing water (puddles). When you hit standing water, it will really pull the wheel to that side. As a rule of thumb, if I can see the texture of the tarmc, I'm OK. It may take a few laps to learn where puddles are.
:yeahthat: Standing water is the real enemy, and the more your RE070's are worn the more of an enemy it will be. As a 70's Datsun 240Z owner's manual famously said, "Beware deep puddles, for therein resides the Skid Demon"! :evilbanan

#17 ·
The stockers are fairly predictable in the rain. As long as there isn't much standing water, you should be okay if you take it easy. You learn a lot in the rain, though you may leave some pucker marks in the seat. :lol:

Even on my stock RE070's, the last time I went to a rainy track day I absolutely ran away from everyone else on the track. I mean ... it was almost comical ... and I was taking it very easy and safe. Lots of Mustangs out that day, and they were very uneasy about the wet track ;).

#21 ·
You should be fine. I bought a used set from a guy who used them as his wet track tire. He said that RA-1's at full depth did a little better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.