IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the RE's are summer tires only... up to what point in the fall/winter can we run these tires safely?

Or more specifically is there a specific outside temp that wouldnt be safe for me to drive with them on? I know snow is out of the question obviously :)

The reason im asking is that im not planning to buy winter tires since i have my 94 Honda civic for a beater. Would be driving the STi periodically. I put on wayy too many miles since i got it this summer :naughty:

·
Registered
28 Posts
gee i was gonna say your going a bit far in having 2 sets of tyres.. but then i thought ''hey maybe it snows there'' hehe... in oz it doesnt snow but i run mine all year around. still legal to use chains? or u followed suite to europe with studded tyres?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have driven them in all weather, but in snow it's suicide! Yes I have driven them in 1 foot of snow but I had no choice. Kir you could call me to ask how they will perform in inclement weather. Basically you can get by in rain with good judgement and some skill, snow "you don't have that much skill", and cold weather once they warm up they are ok not great!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
nhluhr said:
Okay before I answer, I want to say that the tires work just fine down to sub-freezing temps as long as there is no moisture (frozen or liquid) on the road.

With that said, as long as the road is DRY you can use them down to sub-freezing temps, but they'll start to be uncomfortable (rough ride). If there is any moisture on the road, such as dew, fog, snow, ice, or rain, you should probably not use them below about 40 degrees F.
Yup - I had to run mine a little later than normal last year and 45F and rain is rather scary on the highway. You WILL slide if you have to brake suddenly.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i agree with nhluhr. i've driven the sti out on the roads of mass. in the middle of winter w/ the re070s on. they were fine on dry roads even though it was < 32F. i've also tried them out in a lightly snow covered parking lot. i found out quick that you simply can't control the car if there is any snow on the ground w/ those tires on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
cold re070

doesn't take much to break the car loose if you want to;) when it's wet. For full snow/mud use (i know it's still hard to drive your car in the mud) harder compound Pirelli has been good, but on snow and ice, soft Blizzak or Nokia/ Hakkapelitta works so good. Little soft on dry, cold roads, but grippy. Just remember if you go to full softs, get rid of them when tarmac warms up. Cheers:):wave:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Honestly, my experiences with the RE070s is that, even in the pouring rain, they provide tremendous amounts of grip....... and it can be pretty hard to braek the tires loose. Add the tiniest amount of frost though and you are in the ditch. I am pulling mine off this week because I left work at 4:30AM on Monday and discovered that I couldn't even hold a lane on the freeway straight because of a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of frost.

Go Pirelli P-Zero M+S. :)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
As long as there is pavement, and you don't drive like an idiot, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
For routine daily driving they're fine unless it's snowy or icy, no matter the temperature. As the temperature goes below 40*, they start to get a bit hard, and below 30* I would recommend giving yourself extra room even on dry pavement if you want to push it in the corners.

·
Registered
187 Posts
RE070s are definitely suicidal in the snow. I was warned many times, including by the dealership several times when buying the car. So winter of 03/04 I tried it in the snow - no control whatsoever. Aside from the fact that you won't get stuck if you stop, the STi on RE070s was WORSE than my 99 Corvette on stock goodyears and worse than my 88 MR2 with an open diff.

It's still hard to get stuck with the AWD, but you have no directional control at all. Drove in the snow with my G-Force sports and they weren't too bad, just had to go slow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't understand why people continue to try driving on the RE070 tires in the snow/frost/ice. Isn't the tread pattern sufficient evidence that the tires are not made for that?? On top of that they are SUMMER tires...that should give you a clue. If you own an STi take the personal responsibility to drive on appropriate tires in winter climates.

That being said, I typically put on my winter tires when temps reach the 40s. Time is getting close it seems so I'm looking to switch near the end of October.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.