IW STi Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I read someone else held the Unlock button down for three seconds and it took the car out of valet mode... I tried it this morning but it didn't help any.

I'm not going in to the dealership for a remote lol Car is currently just sitting in the driveway waiting for me to pull the engine so I can swap in a minty fresh forged block. Only took me 4 months to save up for it lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: 04 sti key fob HELP?

I found this on another site.

• Keyless Remote Fob

1. Step 1
    Find the serial number on your keyless remote. If you purchased the remote new from the dealer, the package will have the serial number listed. Otherwise, look on the back of the remote for the eight-digit serial code. You must have the code to program the remote.
  2. Step 2
    Close the doors, hood and trunk in your Impreza. Open the driver's door, sit in the driver's seat and shut the door.
  3. Step 3
    Open the driver's door from the inside, and then shut the door after a few seconds. Quickly insert your key into the ignition and toggle the key from "Lock" to "On" (without cranking) 10 times within a 15-second time frame.
  4. Step 4
    Listen for the beep, and then quickly open the driver's door and shut it. If you did not hear a beep, you have done the procedure incorrectly. Start over from the beginning.
  5. Step 5
    Listen for the next beep; this one lasts 30 seconds. Before the beeping stops, press the power door lock button on your door panel the number of times equal to the first digit on your keyless remote serial code. If the first digit is 4, you will press the button four times. You must complete this before the beeping stops.
  6. Step 6
    Press the unlock button on your door panel immediately after pressing the lock button the appropriate number of times.
  7. Step 7
    Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each digit in your keyless remote serial code. Each serial code has 8 digits. Perform the process from left to right. When you have finished, the remote will be programmed to the vehicle. Repeat the entire process to program up to four remotes to your Impreza.
I just want to add that your instructions are great, because I just had to program my new remote. However, you left one thing out and that is you have to repeat the process twice. You have to re-enter the 8 digit code within 5 seconds after inputing it initially. It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't registering, but that was the problem.

Once you input the code exactly the same for the second time, the door locks go through a sequence and the remote works. I spent about 2 hours trying to figure it out before I got frustrated and went and downloaded the owner's manual and read the instructions there. Hopefully I can save some people a 2 hour headache.

~gibs

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
I just want to add that your instructions are great, because I just had to program my new remote. However, you left one thing out and that is you have to repeat the process twice. You have to re-enter the 8 digit code within 5 seconds after inputing it initially. It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't registering, but that was the problem.

Once you input the code exactly the same for the second time, the door locks go through a sequence and the remote works. I spent about 2 hours trying to figure it out before I got frustrated and went and downloaded the owner's manual and read the instructions there. Hopefully I can save some people a 2 hour headache.

~gibs
The last line is to repeat the process?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The last line is to repeat the process?
I see where you're going with that. It was just a little vague IMO since he talked about up to 4 remotes. I figured I'd clarify it because to me it seemed like after you did it once, it was completed, which it needs to be re-entered for the first remote to register. From there, then you can enter up to 4 remotes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys thread revival...

Is anyone with an 04 using the keyfob that have the blue and orange buttons? I'm about to order a new remote to reprogram into my 04. Was all over YouTube about an hour ago and some guy was able to program that specific (blue and orange 2-button) remote on his 2000 Outback. Just need a little clarity if anyone is using the same exact kind at the moment? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re-bump again, so found information online that Subaru replaces old keyfobs(2-button blue/orange) with a tear-drop shaped remote. Anyone with a 2000-2005 Impreza(or any Subaru of that year with a new tear-shaped remote programmed into their car?

·
Registered
151 Posts
So I'll just post once more, I finally reprogrammed a new keyfob to the car. I bought a generic 2-button remote from eBay for $20. Here is the link ---

2 Button Replacement Subaru Keyless Entry Remote Fob A269ZUA111 | eBay

It looks exactly like the old Subaru ones, an orange lock/arm button and a blue unlock/disarm button. Only thing is duh, no Subaru stamp badge ok it lol. Prices varied, but I bought this one because it was a brand new one. So I did not have to do the digit code/door lock method. Just the 1-honk, 2-honk, 3-honk opening/close the door method. I even tested the panic button and it blares the horn loudly. So just throwing that information out there this remote is good for the 2004 Impreza.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 2005 STI like WhiteNite and I followed his instructions, with the exception that:

ALL YOUR DOORS HAVE TO BE UNLOCKED before starting the procedure, or else it doesn't work.

Here's WhiteNite's instructions:
I just programed 2 remotes this way on my 05 STi:

1. Get in vehicle and cycle key to the "ON" position 10 times withing 15 seconds, meaning pretty quickly. You will hear a beep or the horn will sound. (NOTE: Sometimes you have to turn it 11 times)

2. Open and close the drivers side door.

3. Press one of the buttons on the remote

4. Open and close the drivers side door.

5. **If you have other remotes, repeat steps 3 and 4 for all other remotes

6. Remove key from ignition, you should hear a beep/honk that the reprogramming has ended

7. Test remote(s)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts