IW STi Forum banner

RDKLSTi - Spend money to justify spending money...

95K views 295 replies 44 participants last post by  Deek 
#1 · (Edited)

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - RDKLSTi

Follow;
fb/rdklsti
ig/rdklsti

Build thread restructured. First post will always have my latest update, the rest will be on my site.
://sti.rdkls.com

Attachments

See less See more
2 3
#88 ·
Re: riDEEKulous STi - #HELLAMEATY | SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei / etc.

Header fully wrapped and installed.

Ready to mate to trans, mount to subframe and go in the car... can you guess where the AOS is going? Hint: I have to order a battery box to move that to the trunk.

#89 · (Edited)

Flywheel installed, engine mounted to subframe.

Clutch installed.

Trans mounted.

Engine in car, all wired up.

What's left?

-Finish installing fuel system.
-Install intercooler.
-Fab and install breather box (AOS).
-Install gauges.
-Install Aquamist kit.
-Relocate battery to trunk.

I will say that dropping the entire subframe and trans with the engine was far more convenient than shimmying the engine out of the bay. I was skeptical at first, but it seems pretty logical.

Also a "confirmation" compression test was done on the engine today... 140psi across all four cylinders, cold/wet.

#90 · (Edited)

Fuel system and FMIC installed.

Updated list of things to finish;
-Fab AOS
-Fab bumper/FMIC support
-Fab BPV adapter
-Fab intake
-Wire & install gauges
-Relocate battery to trunk
-Install Aquamist kit
-Install AEM IAT

Break in clutch for a day or so on a gimp map provided by tuner based on mods. Just before tuning, warm compression test, boost leak test. Finally, tune with 50/50 alc/water.

#91 · (Edited)

I was a bit curious about why the FMIC core had mounting holes welded to it since it didn't come with a support beam, so I called TurboXS and they informed me that the kit was supposed to come with one. They asked that I contact the vendor I purchased the kit from so they could arrange getting one out to me.

I called Oakos to inquire about this and they spoke with TurboXS. TurboXS is shipping me a support beam overnight and Oakos is picking up half of the shipping tab. I'm sure they would have probably covered the full amount of regular shipping for me since the piece was apparently supposed to come with the kit, but I requested overnight shipping so we can wrap the build up. Great support from both companies.

Oh, also... while on the phone with TurboXS, I let them know that there doesn't seem to be an 08+ WRX/STi manual available on their site. When you click the download link on the WS08-FMIC, it gives you the 02-07 instructions. They said they have one they're going to upload shortly.

#92 ·

Pics taken while fabbing the breather box.

Complete, just needs the valve installed once its in the engine bay.

We didn't purchase the BPV adapter kit from TurboXS, no problem though. A little aluminum, some welding and Navid's skills sorted all of that out.

Navid fabbed 3" intake.

Charge pipe with taps for IAT and two Aquamist injectors.

Relocated battery and Howerton twin tank in the hatch. We still need to make a small platform to get it all to sit level, but its wired and ready.

Engine bay complete, just need to give everything a once-over, recheck fluids and prime.

#94 · (Edited)

Now that's neat.... ^ fabricating parts is awesome! You should powder Coat that fmic some wild color
Thanks for the compliments. Navid is definitely skilled and extremely creative. There was no CAD drawing or any extreme planning... he just grabbed some aluminum, a tape measure, a pneumatic shearing tool and a welder. It all came out great, I'm very satisfied.

I'm not big on extreme flash colors, the entire car is black and white. If anything I'd prefer to ceramic or powder coat all the parts matte black.

#95 · (Edited)

First startup, WOO! :D

Please go like it on YouTube and comment there as well! Thanks guys.

Available in HD.

YT description: This is the first startup from the rebirth. More information and a link with mods list will be provided soon. Daily driven high horsepower build, custom fabrication from Navid @ K-Powered in Palm Springs California.

This was a obviously cold start on a fully built short block that had been sitting for a few months, so you're going to hear a little piston slap. The rattling/raspy noise you hear is the power steering pump digesting air.

K-Powered home page: K-Powered.us - Home
K-Powered facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/navid.pajoufar

#96 · (Edited)

We're on the home stretch, almost there!

Navid fabbing up an aluminum platform for the hatch area that I can mount the Howerton Twin Tank (Aquamist HSF-4) and battery box to.

New turbo for Navid's race car (K-Powered). Ridiculous.

#101 · (Edited)

Drove around in the desert heat half of the day without A/C yesterday, instant migraine... never doing that shit again. Remedied!

Vacuumed, leak tested and charged. :D

#102 · (Edited)

Daniel from Church Automotive Testing came down to the desert to install a new intake manifold and for Navid to fab him an intake. While he was in town, we took the STi for a test drive on the base map he provided (no boost) and we found that cylinder four is pretty noisy. Within one minute of being started, knock sum on cylinders one through three were anywhere from 0-4, cylinder four got up to 50+.

I'm going to bring it out to Church's this weekend to look at it in a more controlled environment (dyno).

#104 ·
Re: @hellameaty STi | SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei / etc.

bump for update
Sorry I didn't see your bump.

Bummer, the car was the victim of a surprise colon inspection by a GMC HD2500. Thankfully he merely idle'd into us, so the damages are very limited.

Might take this opportunity to get some needed repairs done.

#105 ·
Re: rdkls v2 STi | OutFront Built / SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei, etc.

rdkls v2 is in the works - new longblock built by OutFront Motorsports getting picked up this week.

#107 · (Edited)

Pics posted in first post of thread

Not too much done yet today... dug some old Logitech 5.1 speakers out of the closet and brought them out to the garage since I'll be spending some time out there.

One step colder NGKs going in.

Wife's got the other car running some errands, once she's back I'm headed out to get some parts cleaner, degreaser and goo-gone to clean things up as they go on.

#108 ·

Updated first post with information (finally). List might not be complete, just threw it together off of memory.

#109 ·

Picked the car up from auto body shop - rear bumper was replaced with OEM brand new. Pics posted in first post of thread.

#110 ·

Sweet, some parts came in that I needed to start bolting things onto the engine. Hopefully get some work in tonight, pics should follow.

#111 ·

Got the header, uppipe & turbo bolted on tonight... that 3rd bolt on the uppipe was a major pain in the ass, my reward for finally getting it snug was some awesome lofthouse cookies.

Would have prefered to ditch the heat-wrap and get everything coated, but money's tight right now. Maybe v2.1 will bring more goodies... if there is a v2.1. ;)

Pics posted in first post.

#112 ·

Pics posted in first couple posts.

Bolted on the accessories today... A/C, power steering, alternator. Also got the TGVs on (deleted). Goal is to get it in the bay tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

#113 ·

More progress getting things bolted onto the engine today, pics added to first posts.

I have a few connectors from the engine harness that I'm unsure of, they're shown in the posted pics. I'm also going to find the appropriate subforum to look for help.

#114 ·

Pics added to first few posts.

Since OutFront Motorsports needed my stock case-halves as a 'core exchange' for my closed deck small block, I brought them my completely stock EJ257 engine to tear down and assess. I picked up the remaining parts (everything but the case-halves) on the 14th. They gave it all a clean bill of health and my goal is to sell it off to recoup some of the costs of the build, so hit me up if you're interested in anything.

On the 15th, I pulled the hood and front bumper since the engine is just about ready to go in.

#115 ·
rdkls v2 STi | OutFront Built / SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei, etc.

Damn closed deck short block. You looking to run more than 25psi?

Reactions: Deek
#116 ·

Damn closed deck short block. You looking to run more than 25psi?
Yes, I'll have a 30psi map to use when the situation calls for it. ;)

Daily low-mid 20's though. :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.