IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Re: riDEEKulous STi - #HELLAMEATY | SSR / FP Black / AquaMist / Tomei / etc.

Navid is getting the lay of the land...

Apparently Navid saw what he needed to see during inspection, cause he's working with his eyes closed.

I went to get some food, stopped at the house to eat with the wifey and came back to this...

Some shots of the chassis with everything out.

Now that the engine is out, it's time to get off the intake manifold & throttle-body and the TGVs so I can meet up with Ruben for deleting and porting.

Navid's thoughts, "Good lord, what is all this garbage stuck to the manfiold? So much unneeded equipment, weight will be shaved!"

Finally, it's all off and ready for Ruben @ SoCalPorting.

Before heading out, I figured I'd take a comparison snapshot of the new turbo vs the old.

*Yes, I'm aware the inlet housing has a small dent in it, we checked for stress fractures and found none so we're going to let it be.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

Ruben, doing his thing to the TGVs.

Intake manifold's turn.

...sorry, didn't snap a pic of the throttle-body porting.

Clean up time!

Final results...

TGVs.

Throttle-body.

Intake Manifold.

Gasket matched Phenolic spacers.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Sweet business, Deeks! Really looking forward to seeing this baby completed!
You stressed out yet? haha.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

Sweet business, Deeks! Really looking forward to seeing this baby completed!
You stressed out yet? haha.
Not stressed out yet... So far I'm happy with the shop I chose for the swap. As long as we stay on our target timeline, providing there are no more significant interruptions, we'll be good.

Ran into a snag... overcame easily though. Based on how the engine was shipped (tie-downs over the crank pulley) there was damage to the pulley and the key. We had to cook it a bit (torch) to get it all off and were a bit concerned about the oil seal. Local dealer was able to get a replacement key, crank gear and main oil seal next day.

New crank gear and oil seal.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #85

I'm definitely enjoying the MPG from this rental though... 400+ miles til empty?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #86

Stopped by the shop yesterday to see parts were making their way onto the engine assembly. We're getting there slowly but surely. He runs a one-man shop and doesn't cut corners at all, so I'm OK with it taking a hair longer (Navid, if you read this note that I said a "hair", not a wig ;)).

Fuel rail close-up.

Phenolic spacers close-up.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Cleaning up the exhaust ports.

We stayed a little late and got the EGT bung welded on the header.

I started wrapping it, but ran out of material... more is on the way.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #88

Header fully wrapped and installed.

Ready to mate to trans, mount to subframe and go in the car... can you guess where the AOS is going? Hint: I have to order a battery box to move that to the trunk.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)

Flywheel installed, engine mounted to subframe.

Clutch installed.

Trans mounted.

Engine in car, all wired up.

What's left?

-Finish installing fuel system.
-Install intercooler.
-Fab and install breather box (AOS).
-Install gauges.
-Install Aquamist kit.
-Relocate battery to trunk.

I will say that dropping the entire subframe and trans with the engine was far more convenient than shimmying the engine out of the bay. I was skeptical at first, but it seems pretty logical.

Also a "confirmation" compression test was done on the engine today... 140psi across all four cylinders, cold/wet.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)

Fuel system and FMIC installed.

Updated list of things to finish;
-Fab AOS
-Fab bumper/FMIC support
-Fab BPV adapter
-Fab intake
-Wire & install gauges
-Relocate battery to trunk
-Install Aquamist kit
-Install AEM IAT

Break in clutch for a day or so on a gimp map provided by tuner based on mods. Just before tuning, warm compression test, boost leak test. Finally, tune with 50/50 alc/water.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)

I was a bit curious about why the FMIC core had mounting holes welded to it since it didn't come with a support beam, so I called TurboXS and they informed me that the kit was supposed to come with one. They asked that I contact the vendor I purchased the kit from so they could arrange getting one out to me.

I called Oakos to inquire about this and they spoke with TurboXS. TurboXS is shipping me a support beam overnight and Oakos is picking up half of the shipping tab. I'm sure they would have probably covered the full amount of regular shipping for me since the piece was apparently supposed to come with the kit, but I requested overnight shipping so we can wrap the build up. Great support from both companies.

Oh, also... while on the phone with TurboXS, I let them know that there doesn't seem to be an 08+ WRX/STi manual available on their site. When you click the download link on the WS08-FMIC, it gives you the 02-07 instructions. They said they have one they're going to upload shortly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

Pics taken while fabbing the breather box.

Complete, just needs the valve installed once its in the engine bay.

We didn't purchase the BPV adapter kit from TurboXS, no problem though. A little aluminum, some welding and Navid's skills sorted all of that out.

Navid fabbed 3" intake.

Charge pipe with taps for IAT and two Aquamist injectors.

Relocated battery and Howerton twin tank in the hatch. We still need to make a small platform to get it all to sit level, but its wired and ready.

Engine bay complete, just need to give everything a once-over, recheck fluids and prime.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Now that's neat.... ^ fabricating parts is awesome! You should powder Coat that fmic some wild color

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)

Now that's neat.... ^ fabricating parts is awesome! You should powder Coat that fmic some wild color
Thanks for the compliments. Navid is definitely skilled and extremely creative. There was no CAD drawing or any extreme planning... he just grabbed some aluminum, a tape measure, a pneumatic shearing tool and a welder. It all came out great, I'm very satisfied.

I'm not big on extreme flash colors, the entire car is black and white. If anything I'd prefer to ceramic or powder coat all the parts matte black.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)

First startup, WOO! :D

Please go like it on YouTube and comment there as well! Thanks guys.

Available in HD.

YT description: This is the first startup from the rebirth. More information and a link with mods list will be provided soon. Daily driven high horsepower build, custom fabrication from Navid @ K-Powered in Palm Springs California.

This was a obviously cold start on a fully built short block that had been sitting for a few months, so you're going to hear a little piston slap. The rattling/raspy noise you hear is the power steering pump digesting air.

K-Powered home page: K-Powered.us - Home
K-Powered facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/navid.pajoufar

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)

We're on the home stretch, almost there!

Navid fabbing up an aluminum platform for the hatch area that I can mount the Howerton Twin Tank (Aquamist HSF-4) and battery box to.

New turbo for Navid's race car (K-Powered). Ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)

Finally took it home last night on a base tune so I can drive it around for a week to make sure there are no leaks, etc.

·
Registered
564 Posts

Nice Build mate !!

Reactions: Deek
81 - 100 of 291 Posts