IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Re: Deek's 08 STi - "theNoise"

dayummm doggg!!!!!! lets go hit up 74 or something this weekend
LOL Robert, I'm not going to lie... the way you phrased doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a safe drive through the mountains. ;) :lol:

Thanks for the enthusiasm though man! :tup:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Re: Deek's 08 STi - warranty rebuild, and then some

Got my roof rack installed (component info added to first post), not sure I'm going to stick with the Yakima Frontloader racks, might get Forklifts... If only I can find a solid/reliable quick-release solution for my BMX bike(s). The Frontloaders are about 1" too long because when the hatch is open it makes contact with the rubber stopper on the back of the rack. That's nothing a dremel can't remedy though.

Pardon the filth in the pictures, its been windy and dusty out here in the desert this week.

I also have the full HTAutos PU lip kit sitting in the garage, waiting for me to wrap in Hexis dry carbon vinyl.

Also, recently ordered the following which will get installed the weekend after I receive them...
- Whiteline Gearbox Mount Bushings/Positive Shift Kit (Ordered 2012.04.02)
- Whiteline Rear Diff Mount Inserts (Ordered 2012.04.02)
- Whiteline Front Control Arm Inner-Front Bushings (Ordered 2012.04.02)
- Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit Standard (Ordered 2012.04.02)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

While I was out for lunch I noticed that the footpads from the roof racks were starting to move the vinyl (roof wrap) around. I went home to take them off so the vinyl could sit in the sun for the rest of the day and eliminate the bubbles (hopefully)... I'd really hate to have to rewrap it, took forever.

I'll have to get some paint protectant film and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

While I was out for lunch I noticed that the footpads from the roof racks were starting to move the vinyl (roof wrap) around. I went home to take them off so the vinyl could sit in the sun for the rest of the day and eliminate the bubbles (hopefully)... I'd really hate to have to rewrap it, took forever.

I'll have to get some paint protectant film and see if that helps at all.
you better not remove that vinyl...you know how much blood and sweat we put into it? lol

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

you better not remove that vinyl...you know how much blood and sweat we put into it? lol
No way, its not going anywhere... at least until its all crappy looking and needs to be replaced. I just need to find some way to protect it.

·
Registered
161 Posts

if u need help with those bushing let me kno...was thinkin of doin the same thing want to see how hard it is...

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

We didn't have appropriate adapters for the press to get to the rear bushings where the ALK would go, and we couldn't get the front bushing in the press due to the odd angle and how the arm gets in the way. We tried renting a ball-joint press kit from AutoZone, but it didn't fit either. So the LCA bushings didn't get installed today.

However, I did get the gear box mount bushings/positive shift kit and rear differential bushings in. I had my 'ghetto-ramps' and jackstands in the car for the drive home from my buddy's shop, so I didn't 'get on it' at all. I didn't notice any additional NVH either, but shifting did feel a little more crisp.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

It's been 750 miles on the oil after rebuild so I just did an oil change, Castrol GTX 5w30 (brontosaurus oil).
I ran that oil for the first 20K miles. I switched to Rotella T6 and I'm at 44K miles now. Everyone has an opinion about oil, but I've read that it's good to run non-synthetic for the first few oil changes (20K miles is more than a few oil changes :lol:). Subaru ships the WRXs and STIs with synthetic in them now, so who knows. :confused:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)

Installed the ALK early last week during a day off... I found an auto shop down the street that had a press who got the old bushings out and the new ones in.

Yesterday (Sat) I went to my Alignment shop to get everything dialed in.

I'm approaching 34k miles, maybe its time to replace the stock struts with some coils finally... something that has effective rear camber adjustment.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

Just ordered my SSR Type-F 17x9.5 +40 in Flat Black (with hubcentric rings), they should be here mid-July. :D

I'll have to sort out my tires and center caps another day, more than likely going with RT615K's in 275/40.

·
Registered
958 Posts

I like the suspension stuff you've done to your car. I did very near to the same stuff recently. Supposed to get an alignment tomorrow so I haven't been driving the car. Just curious what your impressions of the parts have been. What did you notice after installing the springs, then what changed when you installed sway bars then what changed when you installed all the bushings? I pretty much just did all of that this weekend at once lol

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Here is "my story" regarding the RCE Yellows; RaceComp Engineering “Yellows” for GR STi (RCE Yellows)… My story. « ://rideekulo.us

As for the rest, each bushing individually didn't provide an "oh wow" change in handling characteristics, but all together it's definitely a different animal. I'd say the ones that made the most difference were the engine, trans, shifter, diff and steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Cool thank you. What about the sway bars was it a pretty noticeable change?

41 - 60 of 284 Posts