IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 971 Posts

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been working on a lowering spring that offers a little more drop yet doesnt compromise performance. The warm reception of our Regular Guy/Functional lowering springs earlier this year tells us that function is high on the list of priorities, but in that time frame we have taken A LOT of calls about something with more of a drop. While I kept this under wraps for a while...I did reveal to a few dealers at Sema last week that we have Yellows in the works for the GR/GH chassis.

How far in the works? 90 days ago I started on this and with a few more tweeks we will have the rates and ride heights ready to release. As it stands we are looking at about 330-340ish on rate and a 12-15mm drop. Color is self explan and yes these would come with front and rear bump stops to maximize travel.

If anyone is interested, let us know !!:)

Myles Williams
RCE

PS: we need a local person with a very new 08+ STI with the "new clean" look under the car so we can take pictures of the NEW RCE GR SWAY BARS for our instructions. ( yes we are that close).

·
Registered
859 Posts
Count me in as interested!!

Also, living in Florida I have a very clean and stock undercarriage (4,800 miles). If you want to send the parts I can do the photo work and you can pick the installer :)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Count me in as interested!!

Also, living in Florida I have a very clean and stock undercarriage (4,800 miles). If you want to send the parts I can do the photo work and you can pick the installer :)
thanks anyway,..but I have to find a local and we will shoot it here in our shop.

Mw

·
Registered
541 Posts
NICE....
this just made my decisions a lot harder...
I'm still waiting to see who will be first out of the gates for a nonadjustable, lowered coilover set (ie springs AND shocks)....you guys or tic...
hopefully in the 450# range

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NICE....
this just made my decisions a lot harder...
I'm still waiting to see who will be first out of the gates for a nonadjustable, lowered coilover set (ie springs AND shocks)....you guys or tic...
hopefully in the 450# range
......one could guy springs as a stepping stone until they do coilovers.

While we have something up our sleeve,..it ISadjustable and affordable and you'll never see it coming !!

Expect a press release within a week or so.

Myles

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow another set of springs?! I got the Regular's a month ago and haven't had the time to install them but theoretically when I do install the Regular's and use the bump stops to install and if I want to use the upcoming yellows could I use the bump stops that came with the regulars with the yellows?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow another set of springs?! I got the Regular's a month ago and haven't had the time to install them but theoretically when I do install the Regular's and use the bump stops to install and if I want to use the upcoming yellows could I use the bump stops that came with the regulars with the yellows?
YEPPERS !!

Myles

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ooooh very interested once snowboarding season is over. I see that the proposed rates are a smidge higher than the Regular Guys - is that to counter the loss in travel due to lowering? Also, how strongly the WL Roll Center adjust kit be recommended to go along?

·
Registered
129 Posts
good to see this post myles, i talked to you on the phone about a week ago regarding these springs, and cannot wait to get my hands on them. the lowering aspect seems to be right on for those people who are looking to get better looks without completely loosing the performance side due to the limited suspension travel on the car. please keep us posted on the progress.

·
Registered
641 Posts
wasn't the whole point of the functional springs was that you couldn't lower the rear any more without negatively affecting the suspension travel?

So is this lowering spring a compromise of function for looks? As in.. from a pure performance standpoint, are the black functional "regular guy" springs better?

·
Registered
203 Posts
it's about time Myles...j/k 12-15mm sounds perfect. Count me in. Oh and it is about a 4 hour drive one way for me to get there so don't count on me to be the tester.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ooooh very interested once snowboarding season is over. I see that the proposed rates are a smidge higher than the Regular Guys - is that to counter the loss in travel due to lowering? Also, how strongly the WL Roll Center adjust kit be recommended to go along?
Rate increase isnt really needed NO....because....there is already so much more travel from the bump stops ,,AND.....the rates that we already had dont allow the kind of movement that would make this drop an issue. On top of that , yes we increased the rates a hair.

WL Roll center is always a good idea. I think they should have those on shoppinng karts !! (lol,,,jk)

mw

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wasn't the whole point of the functional springs was that you couldn't lower the rear any more without negatively affecting the suspension travel?

So is this lowering spring a compromise of function for looks? As in.. from a pure performance standpoint, are the black functional "regular guy" springs better?
Its less of a slippery slope when lowering these cars than imagined,....IF you keep the drop conservative and increase rate. As the spring rate increases the suspension moves less. One thing we learned from doing the Regular Guy springs was that we could lower this car a hair more due to the increased travel with the shorter, firmer bump stops. The key here is that the yellows wont be a slammed spring either. Still VERY conservative in drop, and rate goes up a hair. About 7mm lower than Regular Guy springs.

In the last 5 months I have tested 4 different suspensions on my GH chassis WRX. I have had 5 different sets of lowering springs on it and played with rates, alignments, experienced toe change in the rear, added too MUCH caster, played with super high rates, super low rates...you name it.

Yellows will be a FUNCTIONAL option for end users who want a lower look.

Myles

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good to see this post myles, i talked to you on the phone about a week ago regarding these springs, and cannot wait to get my hands on them. the lowering aspect seems to be right on for those people who are looking to get better looks without completely loosing the performance side due to the limited suspension travel on the car. please keep us posted on the progress.
Because I didnt mention it sooner, I am already more than half way thru this process. I am looking for a January release date.

Myles

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about you make them a different color so people do not get confused? I like that idea a lot. :)

I'm all in for the springs. Think that is a great idea.

tony
I had thought about that, but then alot of people have asked ...
" are you going to make Yellows for the GR ? "

And that made we want to keep them yellow. Especially since these will probably fit the 2010 Legacy and so the whole Blacks vs Yellow theme follows over to that also.

Trust me I want to do some crazy colors, but alot of people seem to identify the Yellow and Blacks "thing".

Myles

·
Registered
329 Posts
While we have something up our sleeve,..it ISadjustable and affordable and you'll never see it coming !!

Expect a press release within a week or so.
Well count me in as interested in the yellows. The big thing that kept me from the blacks was it didn't lower enough for me (and I don't want a big drop either). HOWEVER, if you have something adjustable and affordable that I won't see coming, I might have to weigh that in my decision too. I really like the T2s, but the spend is a bit more than I want to do at the moment. Also, I am looking forward to the sways.

/zp

1 - 20 of 971 Posts