IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting ready to have more suspension mod. Originally I was looking at the RCE Springs + Camber Plate + Group-n rears. But my friend also suggest me to look into coilover. Therefore, I called a shop and have a talk with him about Coilcover. He suggested the Tein Flex w/EDFC. As according to him, with soft setting on the EDFC on the Tein Flex, the ride should still be very good and better than stock on bumpy roads.

I do have quite a few questions:

1> Do I still need Camber Plate to adjust the Camber Angle to -1.5 with the tein coilover?
2> Is the Tein Flex w/EDFC @ soft setting really that good for ride confort?
3> I don't normally slow down too much to go over speed-bump, will I be lossing more travel or too much travel when comparing it to stock or RCE Springs?
4> What are the real dis-advantage for going to coilover vs just the springs?

Thanks
EL

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
laueddy said:
I am finally getting ready to have more suspension mod. Originally I was looking at the RCE Springs + Camber Plate + Group-n rears. But my friend also suggest me to look into coilover. Therefore, I called a shop and have a talk with him about Coilcover. He suggested the Tein Flex w/EDFC. As according to him, with soft setting on the EDFC on the Tein Flex, the ride should still be very good and better than stock on bumpy roads.

I do have quite a few questions:

1> Do I still need Camber Plate to adjust the Camber Angle to -1.5 with the tein coilover?
2> Is the Tein Flex w/EDFC @ soft setting really that good for ride confort?
3> I don't normally slow down too much to go over speed-bump, will I be lossing more travel or too much travel when comparing it to stock or RCE Springs?
4> What are the real dis-advantage for going to coilover vs just the springs?

Thanks
EL

There really is no comparing RCE springs to Tein Flex's. Tein products in general don't provide the performance that most people are looking for. Ride quality will be horrible with the Tein's. Durability will be horrible with the Tein's. Performance will be horrible with the Tein's. Prodrive, Swift, Pinks, RCE will all perform better than any Tein coilover setup.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
The Teins are NOT comfortable for daily use, even on their softest setting. There are very few coilovers that can come close to the comfort of a good set of springs. Assuming that you don't track or auto-x your car often, the RCE springs/camber plates will be a great setup for street and occasional track use. If you must have coilovers, I would look into something a bit more forgiving like the KW Variant 3.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ICIC...looks like I should stick with my original thought..! I don't have any plans for auto-x, and I have been to the track twice since April. Because of the cost for going on track, I would only do track maybe twice a year.

Thanks
EL

·
Registered
276 Posts
GTWORX.com said:
There really is no comparing RCE springs to Tein Flex's. Tein products in general don't provide the performance that most people are looking for. Ride quality will be horrible with the Tein's. Durability will be horrible with the Tein's. Performance will be horrible with the Tein's. Prodrive, Swift, Pinks, RCE will all perform better than any Tein coilover setup.

Mike
so what non-coilover set up will handle better than the Tein's? I was thinking of getting the Flex's, but now I am having second thoughts.

here is what I want:
1. something that will drop my car low
2. handles great
3. will be used for the street, and is great for those occasional track days
4. ride quality is not a huge issue, I think the stock suspension is very smooth compared to my other cars.
5. is low maintanance

I am kind of a noob when it comes to suspension, any input is appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
empunker said:
so what non-coilover set up will handle better than the Tein's? I was thinking of getting the Flex's, but now I am having second thoughts.

here is what I want:
1. something that will drop my car low
2. handles great
3. will be used for the street, and is great for those occasional track days
4. ride quality is not a huge issue, I think the stock suspension is very smooth compared to my other cars.
5. is low maintanance

I am kind of a noob when it comes to suspension, any input is appreciated! thanks
Tein Flex will do all that you ask. But don't drop your car too low with them or apparently it will handle like crap. I have Tein Flex on my 05 and my list of what I want is exactly like yours. I am LOVING my Flex's. Car is amazing around corners. I also have Cobb F/R swaybars and RE01R tires too. The ride however is VERY stiff with the flex's, so be warned.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i love my flex's even on the edfc's softest setting its still stiff as **** but i love how it handle's

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Get the RCE springs. If you don't autocross or run track days on a regular basis the extra hassle of a coilover setup really isn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
if you are worried about ride quality why not get tein SS-p. Ben suggested that ss-p is much better than flex.
don't listen to what people say, i personally think tein flex has comfortable ride. but some may think that it doesn't. its all personal preference. many of my friends have tein flex and they love the ride quality as i do. you personally don't even feel that much difference in ride quality from stock to flex.
that's just my opinion.

And i don't understand why, MIKE thinks that tein coilover setup will be worse than stock strut with springs. it just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'll recommend the coilovers I have (STANCE). I honestly believe the car rides more comfortably than stock. If you are by Chicago, I'll gladly give you a ride.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
JKonquer said:
if you are worried about ride quality why not get tein SS-p. Ben suggested that ss-p is much better than flex.
don't listen to what people say, i personally think tein flex has comfortable ride. but some may think that it doesn't. its all personal preference. many of my friends have tein flex and they love the ride quality as i do. you personally don't even feel that much difference in ride quality from stock to flex.
that's just my opinion.

And i don't understand why, MIKE thinks that tein coilover setup will be worse than stock strut with springs. it just doesn't make any sense.
A buddy of mine has those on his WRX. I like the way they ride, firm but not harsh. I think they're more comfortable than a stock STi. I can't really comment on how they handle, but he's pretty quick around a cone filled parking lot.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Mike thats great and all but you need to understand not everyone has 2.5-3k to drop on the suspension alone.

I wanted the g4's, the v3's, ohlins, but after I rode in the tein-ss-p, my view of tein changed. Sure they are inexpensive and probably not the BEST soultion and quality, but they are AFFORDABLE. At this point anything is better then my klunking stock struts.

With that being said I am going to order a set of the ss-p's within the next few weeks.

Like someone else said, its all preference...

oh and to the OP, this isnt even a question. They are COMPLETELY different things.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
^thats still a lot of scratch, guys. I know what you are saying and I trust your experience, but the pricetags are almost completely out of reach for the average joe. Not faulting you at RCE, just telling it how it is.

If there was just some way to get a mid-level strut between the Ohlins and stock...

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Tein Flex w/ EDFC are only $100 less than the KW's, which is why I think it's strange that people often consider them an "affordable" option when it comes to coilovers. In my opinion, if you aren't willing or able to spend the money for a quality set of coilovers, you are better off going with springs. Cheap coilovers are cheap for a reason.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
RaceComp Engineering said:
KW V3's are only 1949 dollar cheeseburgers at McDonalds! :D
Plus camber plates/top hats. Factor in the alignment and corner balancing and you got yourself close to 3k.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
BoostJunkie said:
Tein Flex w/ EDFC are only $100 less than the KW's, which is why I think it's strange that people often consider them an "affordable" option when it comes to coilovers. In my opinion, if you aren't willing or able to spend the money for a quality set of coilovers, you are better off going with springs. Cheap coilovers are cheap for a reason.
Personally I wouldnt compare those two, because the flex is stiff as F&^k and the kw's are a lovely ride. then again I am no pro.

Flexes comes with pillowball mounts.

Yes they are cheap for a reason, and that reason is because not everyone can afford the highest quality coilovers, so they make them affordable. By being affordable of course cheaper parts/overhead are used, but what can you do?

This is true for almost any product.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I say stick with the stock strut and maybe get the RCE springs if you dont really wanna autox or track with the car much (and even if you do...) - they will be PLENTY good, PLENTY good :D

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Yes they are cheap for a reason, and that reason is because not everyone can afford the highest quality coilovers, so they make them affordable. By being affordable of course cheaper parts/overhead are used, but what can you do?
Exactly. That's why my point is that rather than buying a set of cheap coilovers, you can go with springs and sways and perhaps save your money to buy nicer coilovers in the future.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts