IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fellow STI owners- like you i have a relatively new STI with a few sqeaks and rattles that drive me nuts at times. I've read the posts, heard the frustration and the occasional zany solutions. Some of you younger guys might be thinking "if i only had a BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguar....." where a premium can be found on quality control and performance. Sorry to burst your bubble and hoping to make you feel better- the grass is far from green on the other side. I've owned A BMW, Saab, Volvo's, Corvettes amongst others and recently a Jaguar XK8- they all had annoying squeaks and rattles and the Jaguar was the worst of the bunch! It rattled like a garbage truck, and the quality control was unbelievably poor for a car of its price. The Subaru may have a few similar issues, but given the price and perfomance it is the most fun and BEST car I have owned. Their are some exotics with exceptional build quality but not all are perfect. So sit back, enjoy that glove compartment buzz, and remember you only payed 30,000 - not 75,000- for the joy of hearing it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I couldn't "sit back and enjoy the glove compartment buzz" any longer so a little weather stripping and 5k miles later and I have not heard that thing make a peep. :wink:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I've actually been very impressed by this aspect of the STi. There really are no rattles to speak of in mine yet. The icy winter roads should loosen things up a bit, in conjunction with a few good romps.

The real test will be washboarded dirt. If that doesn't produce rattles I'll be flabbergasted.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As long as we are comparing cars...My 2000 Audi A4 was rattle free for my three years of ownership.

My Sti does have interior squeeks and the annoying rattle from the rear glass. Just turning up my stereo (no sub) rattles every cheap piece of plastic inside. However I am totally impressed by how solid the chassis of the Sti is over the A4. On the bumpy roads that normally makes the A4's chassis "dance" and "flex", the Sti hammers through with a much, much more solid and composed feel.

At this point (7000 miles), I love driving this car so much, the noises don't bother me one bit.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
As the manual states, some NVH is normal (Noise-Vibration-Harshness). Glovebox rattles? Tighten up the screws ... I still have a rattle from the steering wheel .. I guess it's the cruise control stalk.

Either way, the sound of the turbo spooling is more than enough to make me forget about rattles! :D

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
JerseySTi said:
I couldn't "sit back and enjoy the glove compartment buzz" any longer so a little weather stripping and 5k miles later and I have not heard that thing make a peep. :wink:
Yeah, I used foam tape and also readjusted the bracket that it latches onto. Much nicer now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I am a "younger guy" at 24 and I bought a used 1997 BMW 528i this past summer, it was the worst purchase I have ever made! I couldn't wait to get rid of it, and then the head blew. What a POS! Oh yeah there were rattles too all over the dash, I think coming from the wood trim. It was a supple ride and very comfy, but I will take an STi for the rest of my life, over any BMW or any other luxury ride, after having that 528i. It was in the shop for just about 90 days total while I only owned the thing for just 7 months. Anyway, the STi rocks and makes me happy everyday, no matter what squeeks or noises are eminating from her.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the only rattle in my car that annoys me is the empty Redbull can in the cup holder between the seats. its sits on loose change. what an awful racket that makes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
After almost 5K miles, the only rattle/noise I can hear is from the back. I'm not sure if its the glass or the rear spoiler. But right now it's so freaking cold, that I'm not about to go and find out where it's coming from.

-d

·
Registered
521 Posts
really? i haven't really heard any rattling. only part i heard was the stupid mirror which somehow disappeared, and near the steering wheel. never had glove compartment rattle. but on the other hand, its probably cuz i have the radio on too.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Question about Camber plates?

The only rattle I had was the remote entry against the steering column. I'm sure with a decent stereo any rattles would magically disappear.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Billy_Talent said:
My stereo nicely covers up any rattling sounds :)
My stereo makes some door panels buzz at high volumes. Nothing else rattles so far.

I used to have a Grand Am GT. The dash rattled so bad that my girlfriend once thought I was by the washing machine when I called her. She always called the Gran Am the washing machine after that incident.

·
Registered
146 Posts
After almost 5K miles, the only rattle/noise I can hear is from the back. I'm not sure if its the glass or the rear spoiler. But right now it's so freaking cold, that I'm not about to go and find out where it's coming from.
I have the exact same thing. I have no idea where the hell it is coming from and it drives me crazy sometimes. It sounds like it is the spoiler but I have no idea. I did check the spoiler and I noticed that it was a little loose on the drivers side. I do not think this is normal and if someone could please verify this I would appreciate it. When I say a little loose I mean it does not budge like the other side.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JerseySTi said:
I have the exact same thing. I have no idea where the hell it is coming from and it drives me crazy sometimes. It sounds like it is the spoiler but I have no idea. I did check the spoiler and I noticed that it was a little loose on the drivers side. I do not think this is normal and if someone could please verify this I would appreciate it. When I say a little loose I mean it does not budge like the other side.
Your problem could be the trunk latch. 2 12mm bolts secure the latch in the trunk. It is a notorius source of problems from a hard to shut/open trunk to a trunk that rattles. I have had both senarios. Try moving the latch down slightly and see it your rattle goes away.

·
Registered
76 Posts
well i dont have rattles, but the glovebox kinda hangs down on the drivers side. no rattle from it but its just kinda loose. just nitpicking.

also are there any tie downs in the trunk? im an avid radio control racer and my pit box (very heavy fishing box) falls down/rolls around all the time. i could slow down but what would be the fun in that?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
PhillyB, try the trunk cargo netting.....that should help solve your problem.....just a thought

1 - 20 of 28 Posts