IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched most of the posts already, didn't exactly find anything that matches my case. I am sorry if I post this to the wrong forum.

My 12 STI hatchback is pretty much stock. It only has the cobb intake and kartboy shifter and bushings.

The noise happen in the following scenarios:

1. when i go over bumper unevenly at low speed (like left wheel goes on first, then right wheel. Rear left, then rear right). Every time i hear the creaking/squeaking (like the old mattress springs noise). The noise does NOT happen When both wheels go on the bumper at the same time.

2. It also happen when I drive over bumpy road.

3. After driving like 20 minutes (after work), and turning the engine off, i can hear some rattling (or similar to the noise from #1) 0.5-1 second after the engine completely stop. To me, it feels like exhaust heat shield rattle, but i checked the heat shield from the down pipe already, it's tight. I also checked the exhaust manifold heat shield, it's also tight.) I am not sure if this is the same noise in #1, but it sounds like they are same to me.

the noise does NOT happen at all in normal driving on smooth enough road, accelerating, breaking, changing gears, cornering.

Could you please throw me some ideas? I really appreciate for all the help in advance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
would suggest check your bushings, grease your topmounts for the front struts, swaybar, then if all those look good start wiggling stuff around...I had my AC line missing a bolt, my cowl corner covers were loose...my bumper was not fully clipped into the fender brackets...theres a lot of potential there lol...could also be something trapped in the undercovers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked swaybar bushings, and end links, they seems to be tight.I couldn't move any of them. All the bolts are tight, i also sprayed some WD40 on the swaybar bushing. It didn't help. I will check the top mounts for front struts tonight.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Trying to figure out a noise over the internet is almost impossible. Its best to record the sound and put up a video to help figure out what it is.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like sway bar bushings to me. Use some silicon grease inside and outside the bushings. You have to remove the bushing bracket to do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like sway bar bushings to me. Use some silicon grease inside and outside the bushings. You have to remove the bushing bracket to do this.
OK, I am gonna give this a try. I tried to spray the lithium grease on the outside without removing the bracket, it didn't work. i will remove the bracket and try this again. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the brackets and bushings, cleaned, and re-greased all four of them front and rear. The noise is still there. I am thinking to replace the end links. But before doing that, how i can bounce the car from side to side to simulate going over bumps at an angle? I tried push it down from the top struct mount areas, the suspension slightly moved, and not enough to reproduce it without driving the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally found the issue. It's the Cobb airbox's cover rubbing the tightening bolt on the filter's clamp. The Y shape filter holder also have two bolts and they are not tightened either or they are loosed over time.

But thanks everyone for helping. Now the back feels good, no more noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts