IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Driver rear spark plug. FUCK ME, that was stupid as shit... I had to raise the engine up a bit just to get the coil pack and spark plug out of the fucking hole... I was beginning to wonder if I was being a dumbass by having such a hard time!
Its the worst...the key is twisting the coilpack towards the firewall. pops right out. I felt dumb as well.

·
Registered
998 Posts
IMO the STi is really easy to work on you just need to be willing to do the extra leg work and take stuff off/out...

With a friend I was able to do to Group N engine & transmission mounts, KB pitchstop and all the rest of my driveline bushings in one evening. Hardest part was getting the IC back on lol (first time off).

Grimmspeed MC brace was in within an hour of opening the hood...just pulled all the fuel lines.

Be thankful the car doesn't have a transverse countered over V6 or is a mid engined F6/V8 where you need to basically pull it to do ANYTHING.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I am guessing from all the reading that my MCB might be not bad since everything stock is removed for the fuel lines...here's hoping.

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
So, let's make a fun list: "Worst Fucking Installs" for the GR STi. From shittiest to least shittiest:

1) Shifter Bushings (Kartboy Holy Shift! kit) - hard to reach/remove cotter pin :censored:, bolts on the rear bushing that cross thread. This install had me punching kittens in the face.

2) Killer B Oil Pickup tube - have you ever wanted to eat a bullet? I did, after this install. The most fun part wasn't breaking loose the seemingly welded on oil pan, or the hour+ scraping off old gasket, nor was it getting lucky when threading in those 3 rear pan bolts without over torquing them........ that bolt holding the dipstick tube to the engine block was LDFNSDL:[email protected]#*(U)*EUR*(UER*. Fuck the world, seriously.

3) Transmission Crossmember Bushings and Trans Mount- the risk of cross threading and stripping bolts here is high. The order of reinstall is paramount. Jacking up the transmission and moving shit around just right to get things bolted back down make for a HELLACIOUS experience.

4) Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace- It's just 4 bolts, how hard could it possibly be? :)

5) Rearview Camera, or any audio install for that matter- removing all of the interior panels along one side of the car without breaking anything. Cut hands. Contortionist acts abound! Running power wire through the firewall. Guaranteed frustration and new, colorful explicatives await!!!!

There's a definite jump in shittiness factor between #4 and #5.

Honorable mentions:

- Group-N Engine mounts: be careful if using Anti-Seize, that you don't snap off one of the mount bolts. :mad:

- Brake rotors: aka seized caliper bolts. Replacing brakes is fairly straight forward on the STi, but these caliper bolts can turn the process into a fucking nightmare.

There's a few which I haven't done that sound like the worst of the worst. Namely, the turbo inlet or anything which involves removal of the intake manifold. I'm sure there are others... also, I don't have access to a lift or power tools, which could make things easier in some places.

I think I've finally grown tired of wrenching, cut hands, cross threaded bolts, hard to reach places, and all of the other bullshit. I'm at the point in my life now, where I think I'll probably pay someone to do installs for me, because frankly, I don't derive any enjoyment out of it anymore... Nothing is ever easy with this car, there's always some fucking "gotcha" that ends up costing you more than you would have paid by paying someone to do it.

1) Clutch. Absolutely number 1 for a DIY - meaning you don't have a lift, or in my case even a garage. Took me a few days - even w some help. I'd be embarrassed if it didn't work :)

2) Calipers/Bolt. This should be so easy, but can and did go so wrong. After spending well over $1K in parts, I ended up buying 1 new caliper, an HF drill press, tap & dies, heli-coil kit, renting a car while I waited for the caliper. all told another $1K! Still not as much as the dealer quoted me, and to be honest I'm not convinced they would have faired any better!

Master cylinder brace? Never did install it :) I looked at and said not till I'm taking stuff apart again, and just haven't had to. So I do understand that it will be a PIA that I expect to take a couple of hours Not sure that should get it on the list though.

Suspension should be on the list if you do everything incl the springs yourself. Not that hard if you have a decent spring compressor. Yeah I bought one of them too. If you are local you can stop by to use it.

Shifter bushings NP. Just have to realize you have to stretch the rear one by canting and straitening the bolt. If its nice out I'll do em for you.

CBL - isn't you're car "new". It's not built? Why you doin plugs already. Ok I'll admit I've never done them. I hope to be running a new engine before they are due too :)

I have pitch stop, engine and trans mounts scheduled for first weekend - on my sons WRX . Have an up pipe and down pipe for that one too :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
1) Clutch. Absolutely number 1 for a DIY - meaning you don't have a lift, or in my case even a garage. Took me a few days - even w some help. I'd be embarrassed if it didn't work :)

2) Calipers/Bolt. This should be so easy, but can and did go so wrong. After spending well over $1K in parts, I ended up buying 1 new caliper, an HF drill press, tap & dies, heli-coil kit, renting a car while I waited for the caliper. all told another $1K! Still not as much as the dealer quoted me, and to be honest I'm not convinced they would have faired any better!

Master cylinder brace? Never did install it :) I looked at and said not till I'm taking stuff apart again, and just haven't had to. So I do understand that it will be a PIA that I expect to take a couple of hours Not sure that should get it on the list though.

Suspension should be on the list if you do everything incl the springs yourself. Not that hard if you have a decent spring compressor. Yeah I bought one of them too. If you are local you can stop by to use it.

Shifter bushings NP. Just have to realize you have to stretch the rear one by canting and straitening the bolt. If its nice out I'll do em for you.
That seized caliper bolt raped your wallet, dude :eek: Goes to show just how close to disaster it could be for someone who isn't expecting it, both financially and time lost. I had 1 bolt nearly seize on me, and I about shat my pantalones. Now, all of the bolts have a ton of copper anti-seize on them, so hopefully future sessions aren't as riveting.

The MCB... like I said, it's just 4 bolts, nothing to be afraid of :) Getting the thing into position is relatively easy, it's when it's time to bolt it down that things get fun.

The shifter bushings were just a bitch... punching that cotter pin out and then back in was blood boiling because you're on your back, in cramped quarters with barely any room to get a good hammer hit on the punch.

Suspension work, aside from sways/endlinks, I let the pros deal with that mess :cool:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am guessing from all the reading that my MCB might be not bad since everything stock is removed for the fuel lines...here's hoping.
If you don't have that 1 fuel line in the way, your job should be MUCH easier. I take it your IC is out as well??? Makes me want to condescendingly berate you for not getting to experience the full pleasure of this install :mad:

You still have the actual MC to work around, so that'll give you some sort of challenge at least :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
For me it was the Grimmspeed MCB and the stock fuel injector guards. Both were never installed/reinstalled. I gave up due to it taking longer than I was willing to work on it. The fuel injectors were the easy part, the guards, not so much.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I forgot I had started this thread, and now I have to update it with the spark plugs... driver side rear, shit's no joke. Toss-up etween this and the MCB.

I retired from DIY, and modding. Thank god.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Shifter bushings were annoying but even more annoying was taking them back out since I couldn't stand the added noise!

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Soundproofing.

Any job that requires removing the interior trim from the driver's seat rearward. Why in the HELL do they have about 6 different sizes of clips to hold the interior trim panels on, yet all are designed to shatter if you have to take something loose!?

·
Registered
226 Posts
1.Removing the stock fuel rails for upgrading the injectors is definitely a lot of work. while the intake manifold was out upgraded to a tomei silicone turbo inlet so i cant vouch for the degree of difficulty,even though that all stock fuel lines and other parts are out the GS mcb is still difficult so I can imagine if everything is still there that it would be a PITA.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
+1 for the brake caliper bolts. I've had enough of that mess. I just ordered a timesert kit and will be fixing my front calipers soon.

You guys are scaring me though, as I have a lot of these PITA mods sitting in my living room and plan to hit them hard all at once. Shifter bushings, All Group N mounts, Crossmember bushings, subframe busings, rear diff inserts, the entire power steering system including the rack, and to top it off an IAG AOS.

I found the spark plugs easy the second time. The first time sucked. I learned to remove everything I can within reason first, and to rotate the coilpack clockwise or it will drive you crazy. Also use a short piece of fuel hose to slip new plug in and get the threads started.

·
Premium Member
5,243 Posts
I'm dammed happy with 2015 post. It's holding up well.

Writing now to say that rear wheel bearings kind of suck too. Not #1, but not so fun either.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'll just say any AOS, but for me it's the Crawford. I only had one mounting bolt since my TGV deletes don't have mount holes for the injector protector bastard rails, but just that one bolt was enough to piss me off. The hoses weren't much better.

I'll second what another user mentioned and say some of these jobs make me debate giving up DIY except for simple jobs :lol: When it comes to the big jobs in particular, when the job spans 12+ hours then eventually I could've come out even if I'd just done an extra shift at my actual job and let a professional handle my car. The difference is I don't get to hang out with my dog or be outdoors at work, plus I like learning other things while I'm in there working on something.

I thought the TGVs were going to be the worst part of this set of jobs, but I'm going to vote for the AOS.

I want to do mounts soon but I had a hard time getting the stock mounts lined back up when I did my killer B oil pickup, so I'm not really looking forward to raising the engine again.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts