IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, let's make a fun list: "Worst Fucking Installs" for the GR STi. From shittiest to least shittiest:

1) Shifter Bushings (Kartboy Holy Shift! kit) - hard to reach/remove cotter pin :censored:, bolts on the rear bushing that cross thread. This install had me punching kittens in the face.

2) Killer B Oil Pickup tube - have you ever wanted to eat a bullet? I did, after this install. The most fun part wasn't breaking loose the seemingly welded on oil pan, or the hour+ scraping off old gasket, nor was it getting lucky when threading in those 3 rear pan bolts without over torquing them........ that bolt holding the dipstick tube to the engine block was LDFNSDL:[email protected]#*(U)*EUR*(UER*. Fuck the world, seriously.

3) Transmission Crossmember Bushings and Trans Mount- the risk of cross threading and stripping bolts here is high. The order of reinstall is paramount. Jacking up the transmission and moving shit around just right to get things bolted back down make for a HELLACIOUS experience.

4) Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace- It's just 4 bolts, how hard could it possibly be? :)

5) Rearview Camera, or any audio install for that matter- removing all of the interior panels along one side of the car without breaking anything. Cut hands. Contortionist acts abound! Running power wire through the firewall. Guaranteed frustration and new, colorful explicatives await!!!!

There's a definite jump in shittiness factor between #4 and #5.

Honorable mentions:

- Group-N Engine mounts: be careful if using Anti-Seize, that you don't snap off one of the mount bolts. :mad:

- Brake rotors: aka seized caliper bolts. Replacing brakes is fairly straight forward on the STi, but these caliper bolts can turn the process into a fucking nightmare.

There's a few which I haven't done that sound like the worst of the worst. Namely, the turbo inlet or anything which involves removal of the intake manifold. I'm sure there are others... also, I don't have access to a lift or power tools, which could make things easier in some places.

I think I've finally grown tired of wrenching, cut hands, cross threaded bolts, hard to reach places, and all of the other bullshit. I'm at the point in my life now, where I think I'll probably pay someone to do installs for me, because frankly, I don't derive any enjoyment out of it anymore... Nothing is ever easy with this car, there's always some fucking "gotcha" that ends up costing you more than you would have paid by paying someone to do it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In other words bolts haha. Any kind of bolt lol
Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. Most of the evil in these installs comes from difficult to reach or easily cross threaded bolts. I suppose the title of the thread could be "Shittiest Bolts To Deal With" :lol:

·
Registered
265 Posts
No idea why some of these even made that list, personally speaking the short shifter + bushings were easy, the master cylinder brace was easy also just cuts up your hand if you rub the fuel lines. I think the worst install i did was the rear subframe bushings, total pita.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The biggest pain for me was the turbo inlet. It wasn't the WORST of them all, but removing the intake manifold for such a minor part was obnoxious and aggravating beyond belief. Cost (in terms of install time) vs reward, the inlet is just horrible.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
1. TGV delete
2. GS MCB - Havent done but dreading.
3. Turbo inlet
4. Fuel pump - those stupid clips holding the pump suck
5. Any gauges - wiring be damned.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The biggest pain for me was the turbo inlet. It wasn't the WORST of them all, but removing the intake manifold for such a minor part was obnoxious and aggravating beyond belief. Cost (in terms of install time) vs reward, the inlet is just horrible.
I hope it was a hard inlet otherwise you went way above and beyond.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I hope it was a hard inlet otherwise you went way above and beyond.
It was and I was installing top feed fuel rails at the same time so it had to come off anyway. The intake manifold is just a nightmare in general. Now I am rotated so everything is easier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
so far, I vote for the Grimmspeed MCB...just because it seems easy, but took me a while and I had cuts all over my hands.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
so far, I vote for the Grimmspeed MCB...just because it seems easy, but took me a while and I had cuts all over my hands.
Just be glad you didn't have to install one for a right hand drive. I had to jack the car up to gain access to the bolt hole hidden on the top of the strut right behind the spring and it takes some weird arm contortion to Secure the nut in the engine bay. My mum was looking at me weird thinking i was hugging the wheel well

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Driver rear spark plug. FUCK ME, that was stupid as shit... I had to raise the engine up a bit just to get the coil pack and spark plug out of the fucking hole... I was beginning to wonder if I was being a dumbass by having such a hard time!

·
Registered
648 Posts
The worst for me was definitely the Grimmspeed master cylinder brace and routing the wiring/senders cleanly for the Defi Pressure & Boost gauges. That damn brace was a major PITA.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts