IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my Kenwood Excelon KDC-x711 just went tits up yesterday after 6 years and I'm starting to look for a new radio. Problem is, I really liked that radio due to it's features : D-Mask motorized flip face, internal crossovers, sub controls, cd text, 4v preouts, radio signal text, etc

I need some suggestions radios in the ~$300 price range that has all of those features and maybe MP3 capable as well (I'd maybe give up the flip face thing, although I still find it pretty cool after all these years)

Anyway, anyone have some good input? (please keep in mind the options I'd like)

Also, anyone have an Alpine 9813? That looks pretty nice with lots of power

TIA!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have an alpine 9815 and I love it. the 9813 is the same exact radio with a few less features. the only real reason I bought the 9815 is because I like the blue. lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw a black one today. :)

I just looked at the 9815 and it is pretty nice, although an extra $100 over the 9813. Do you have an extra amp or does the HU run your speakers by itself? I don't have an amp for the 4 speakers and it sounds fine with my kenwood (4x22w rms I think)

·
Registered
834 Posts
depends on your speakers. and how loud you listen to your music. I have infinity kappas and their rms is like 90 watts or something like that. they sounded good with no amp, but I couldnt turn it up over like 25. so I bought a kenwood 640watt amp. and I ran that and wow you can crank that thing as loud as you want. louder than you should ever listen to it. haha. infinity speakers are very power hungry. alot of other brand speakers sound just fine off of the hu alone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got Clarion components in the front and MB Quarts in the rear -- you're right, they probably should have an amp to get the most out of them, but I wasn't about to start that project. Just getting the radio and speakers in was bad enough!! :)

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming! Need .. new ... radio .. argh

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wasnt ready either. I had my radio in for about a week. and it was acutally the day after christmas and i had some extra cash on me. I was walkin through bestbuy and I was like hey what the hell. bought myself an amp, wire, and dynamat for my doors. got home and a few hours later wo what a difference

·
Registered
834 Posts
well, I took a piece of plywood and I cut it out to fit in the corner of my trunk. threw some carpet over it and put in the corner of my trunk. The server wont let me post any pictures right now for some reason. give me a few minutes to look through some old posts I posted a picutre a while ago I will see if its still there

·
Registered
834 Posts
Sti Silver/Silver wheels for sale

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5434&highlight=&sid=f2d4fcc29443a0ab931d363d7f40a003

follow the link and scroll down a bit you can see how I have it mounted. its only temporary though. I will be putting a board up on the back of the rear seats because I need room for another amp for my sub that is on its way here. so I will post pictures of the new setup when its all said and done. I am working on a fiberglass sub enclosure so that it sits on the left side out of the way so I dont loose my trunk space with a big box in the middle.

·
Registered
834 Posts
also if you have a little more $ to spend alpine offers the cda-7998. it has the rotating face the turns over when its off and looks like there is no radio there. but this is also another $100 ontop of a 9815.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Can the EJ25 Rev to an 8000RPM Redline?

2 words: ebay...

i loved my old school sony mobile ES head unit that i bought one off ebay. head unit is circa 1996/97...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good - I mounted my sub and sub amp against the back seat in the trunk. Took a long time of being curled into the fetal position to get it in there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts