IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a ton of research i decided on the passport 8500. it seemed like the best bang for the buck. i'm just wondering what everybody else is using, pros and cons as well as prices. thanks
bryan

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
V1 all the way.

Pros... range, signal counter, and arrows.

Cons... hmmm... price I guess? I think it was $399.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
V1 all the way.

Pros... range, signal counter, and arrows.

Cons... hmmm... price I guess? I think it was $399.
dont go with anything else

after watching mischief 3000 and seeing how the yellow modded M3 made it all the way cross country only getting ONE TICKET (from a freaking airborne helicopter) and thatwas it... thats what convinced me V1 was the best. That and everyone else was getting 4-5 a DAY.

Robert~

T

·
0 Posts
I got the Sensoro Traveller with laser detector and VG-2 and I find it's fantastic. I avoided numerous radar traps this summer in the States and even detected laser radar from an airplane in Nebraska. I got one ticket in all and that's because the cop came from behind me on an on ramp. I paid 200 bucks Cnd for it last year and it has paid for itself many times over. I knew there were better ones out there but the price was way too steep being in Canada, and also getting them here is kind of difficult, so I got this one cause it was recommended by a friend and it was on sale at Wal-Mart lol. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
98 Posts
googe said:
Passport 8500...always ranks higher than V1 in real tests and costs alot less.
What he said.

·
Registered
949 Posts
googe said:
Passport 8500...always ranks higher than V1 in real tests and costs alot less.
only test i have seen is www.radartest.com and they are sooo in love with passpaort i wonder the neutrality of that site?
i am looking @ the v-1 possibly, but may be leaning more towards the k40 or 8500 as i can get their upgraded laser defender pkgs down the road.

bel offers a very nice pkg, but it's very pricey (approx 1400-1500 retail)

·
Registered
347 Posts
v1. period.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
only test i have seen is www.radartest.com and they are sooo in love with passpaort i wonder the neutrality of that site?
What makes you say that? Back when you could download test results for free, I didn't see Passports dominating.

·
Registered
949 Posts
all the passport vendors always point to that website when they are touting the superiority of the 8500.
i read up on the tests, and i believe that is where i also found a test comparing various laser jamming products, and again... the passport product got the seal of approval from the site.
(prety sure it was the same site, but could be wrong)

but in terms of what i have read about on various car forums, the valentine1 and the k40 seem to get much better reviews by customers.
the valentine1 seems to hold an edge in laser detection with just the windshield units, but it sems by spending the 1k for the jamming unit the k40 will obviously be a better system.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
all the passport vendors always point to that website when they are touting the superiority of the 8500.
That's natural if the 8500 did well in their tests.

but in terms of what i have read about on various car forums, the valentine1 and the k40 seem to get much better reviews by customers.
Customers are disinclined to negatively review an expensive product that they've bought. Customer reviews are also notoriously unreliable. How many customers have simultaneously used the V1, the BEL, and the 8500, for example? Unless they have, they can't really say one is better than the other...but they do it all time. Look no further than this thread for a couple examples.

the valentine1 seems to hold an edge in laser detection with just the windshield units, but it sems by spending the 1k for the jamming unit the k40 will obviously be a better system.
I think the odds of detecting or jamming laser are sufficiently low that it shouldn't be relied upon. Heck, I try not to even rely on radar detection, and it's much more effective.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Slowride said:
How many customers have simultaneously used the V1, the BEL, and the 8500, for example? Unless they have, they can't really say one is better than the other...but they do it all time.
I have ran my V1 against the 8500. The review is at:
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=32

I have also ran my V1 against the K40 RD850. The review is at:
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2315

If I find a BEL I can borrow, I'll do a test with it too.

End result, neither the K40 or the 8500 would pick up the V1, however the V1 picked up both of them. What this boils down to is that the local oscillators in not shielded very will in the K40 or 8500. In virginia, that is real critical because they are illegal. I look at it as the V1 is a better made unit. Yeah, I spent $400 on the V1. When I bought it, I thought that if I buy a cheaper one and someday I get a ticket, I'll always wonder if a better detector would have saved me.

-Lance

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
One thing about radartest.com, other than the fact that they are biased, is how low they score the V1. If it was a little closer to the bel and passport maybe it would be believable but that big of a difference is laughable. I have used quite a few different detectors in the past and the ones that would keep working after a year could not compare to the V1 I have been using for the last 5 years. Plus there are some features radartest says the V1 does not have but it does. Also certain design or operational things they don't like about the V1 seem like nitpicking to me. Once you use the V1 for a bit operating it and changing settings are very easy and rarely needed since it keeps your last settings in memory.

One thing, if you can do it and really want to know, I believe both companies offer a 30 day trial. Get both and run them side by side for 30 days and see what one you like the best. I read a few posts on other forums of people who bought both and ran them side by side for 30 days... all ended up returning the passports. Honestly, I could not imagine not having the arrows and counter. In city driving those 2 features make the V1 indispensable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
chrisfx811 said:
i read up on the tests, and i believe that is where i also found a test comparing various laser jamming products, and again... the passport product got the seal of approval from the site.
(prety sure it was the same site, but could be wrong)

No offense, going by customer reviews on a radar detector is completely stupid. What are they going to say? "Yep, works great, I love it!" What good is that, how do you quantify anything?

To the original poster - It took me several months to purchase my detector, I was worn between V1 and Passport 8500, just because there is such a religious war over which is better. I did alot of research and concluded it would be better to buy the 8500. If you dont take our word for it, I encourage you to look into it yourself.

Not only did I refer to radartest.com as was mentioned, but numerous, in fact all but 1, car magazines chose the 8500 as well.

radartest is going to rank the 8500 high for good reason. If they ranked something else high, youd all be saying the same thing. Seriously, V1 owners are some of the weirdest people on the internet. Slowride said it best, "Customers are disinclined to negatively review an expensive product that they've bought. Customer reviews are also notoriously unreliable." Of course no one here has done any kind of controlled test, so no ones "opinion" is worth anything ("oh me and my friend were cruising and my v1 went off before his passport..."), so really the only thing you can do is review the results of proper tests done by qualified people. :)

http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9070
addresses some allegations against radartest.com by v1 and v1 owners. If one more person says that site is biased, I think a kick in the head is in order :lol:
I would love to know if it in fact IS biased (despite another popular site and every car magazine having consistent results), but why is it that no one can substantiate this claim? Until someone has some proof, dont make things up!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
mx270a said:
I have ran my V1 against the 8500. The review is at:
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=32

I have also ran my V1 against the K40 RD850. The review is at:
http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2315

If I find a BEL I can borrow, I'll do a test with it too.
Thanks for doing that and posting the results. That's lots more useful than the usual "V1 rulez".

End result, neither the K40 or the 8500 would pick up the V1, however the V1 picked up both of them. What this boils down to is that the local oscillators in not shielded very will in the K40 or 8500. In virginia, that is real critical because they are illegal. I look at it as the V1 is a better made unit. Yeah, I spent $400 on the V1. When I bought it, I thought that if I buy a cheaper one and someday I get a ticket, I'll always wonder if a better detector would have saved me.
In VA, I wouldn't rely on my detector's shielding or its "detector detector detecting"--I'd just do without and be a little more careful. Shielding isn't really an issue where detectors are legal.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts