IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back again with another comparison of radar detectors. This time I get to play with the brand new windshield mount unit from K40 - the RD850. I've been running it about 10 days now against my V1. Roughly 1000 miles - it was a busy week last week ok. The K40 RD850 has an MSRP of $300.

First impressions: I power up the K40 and within seconds, the V1 sees all sorts of KA radar all over the place. The KA is very strong and doesn't let up. I have had to resort to putting the V1 on mute to keep my sanity. For a detector that is supposed to hide from VG2, it sure emits a lot of crap in the KA band. I feel a little skeptical running without the V1 for the first time in a long time, but the K40 has a 1 year ticket guarantee so the company has to have some faith in it.

Falsing: K40 claims this unit has the industry's lowest falsing rate. I would agree. Even without its filtering enabled, it rarely picks up false alerts. It does still go off by Walgreens and Drug town, but I expected that. At first, I was concerned that it would not pick up real radar sources as soon as other detectors for this reason. I must say though that it is right on time with the V1 though for detection.

The display: It sucks. The panel that the driver sees it a smoked tint piece of rounded plastic with LEDs behind it. It looks nice when off, but functionally it sucks. When the sun is out, you get a glare off the curve of the plastic making it very difficult to see the LEDs. Of course the audio means you don't need to see the lights because you should be looking for other things at that time. Better to keep your eyes on the road anyways.

I have been past only 1 officer running K band while he had another driver pulled over. Both detectors picked up the signal at nearly the same time. The V1 led by less than a second, but it is also mounted higher on my window.

Our local law enforcement has an older fan that they park along roads with some device logging how fast people are going in the area. I have seen this van around the area many times and know it from a distance now. In the past it has always been running K band radar. The V1 has always picked it up blocks away too. Today however is different, very different. I approach the van and immediately know what it doing there. Neither detector is telling me about it though. As I get closer, the K40 goes nuts as it should be - K band it says. I look at the V1 and its still complaining about the KA that the K40 is emitting. No sign on K on the V1 all the way by the source. I'm thinking what the heck, thats not normal. I unplug the K40 and reset the V1 so its fresh again with no memory of another source. I drive by the van again and only get a bit of K band detected when I am right next to it. I made a total of 5 passes by this van and only once did the V1 pick it up - which was too late when it did. The K40 however knew about it every time, with enough reaction time too. This is the first time I have ever been disappointed with the V1.

Final notes: I personally will be keeping the V1, but more so because I already own it. If I had to buy a new detector tomorrow, I would put trust in either one equally. If you do get one of these K40 units though, plan to mount it high on your front window up by the rear view mirror. That will keep the sunlight off the rounded front panel thus eliminating my one issue with it.

Remember, always scout an area before being bold.

-Lance

·
Registered
80 Posts
mx270a great write-up. In fact I was checking one of these units out this afternoon. I was a little skeptical at first, but now I just might go back and pick one up.

Again, great write-up. Thank you!

Silver Phish

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Is it the K40 with the laser jammer package?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sounds great... Thats the one thing I hate about my V1 is the false alerts. If I didn't allready own it and pay to have it custum mounted, I'd def give this one a try... and LOL about the Walgreens.. my V1 goes off like WWIII when I go by there, 4 bogies with strong signals.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Wow this Thread is from 2003 lol

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
The Valentine 1 walks all over the K40 in my book.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts