IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 668 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rac's '05 STi SOLD --> '05 M3 and '11 X6 SOLD --> Now, 2011 Z4 35is (Euro Delivery!)

Guys, I think its time I start one of these. I have a few mods right now and a decent amount planned for the upcoming months so I thought this would be a good time to create my journal. The story began in mid July 2004 when I took delivery of a beautiful 2005 Crystal Gray Metallic STi. After lusting after an STi for at least a year it felt awesome to finally have one of these insane machines. Before I even took delivery I put in my Berber STi floor mats and the AutoSpeed dead pedal (both ordered from Mastro Subaru in FL).

Here are some pics in almost 100% stock form during her first week home (except for the Berber STi floor mats and the AutoSpeed dead pedal).

(The above picture does include my homemade DIY hood scoop screen, which I installed after having the car for less than a week).

Before buying the car I had planned to have a custom 3M clear bra installed in addition to a Lidatek LE-30 Laser Echo and a hardwired Valentine 1 radar detector. I knew this car was going to draw plenty of attention, so I wanted to be properly protected. I had all the work done at Technik 1 in NYC. I thought the clear bra came out AWESOME and I am very pleased with the protection it has given me.

This pic is with the clear bra installed and the fog light covers de-badged (the clear bra couldn’t be installed over the stickers)

The V1 and Lidatek:

The LED for the Lidatek:

I also knew right from the beginning that I didn’t like the SUBARU plastered on the back of my trunk, so that also came off pretty quickly. It looks sooo much cleaner!!

My next mod was 35% window tints. The tints complement the CGM very nicely and IMO made a huge difference in the overall look of the car.

Once November came I knew the stock RE 070’s were not going to cut it for ANY winter driving. After reading some horror stories I didn’t even want to chance it in the cold weather, let alone the white sutff. I went to Mavis and got a set of Blizzak LM-25 (a high performance, V-Rated snow tire). I also thought I would be a good idea to get some RallyArmor mud flaps to prevent the side of my car from millions of rock chips, which already started to happen over the summer. The following pictures are not right after the install they were taken on January 1st 2005 but they show my modifications up to the correct point.

I also thought the Tein Hood Struts were a great little addition, so I got in on a GB on NASIOC. The install was a piece of cake and they work flawlessly. The following pictures are not right after the install they were also taken on January 1st.

One winter night there was a forecast for about a foot of snow in my area of NY. I thought it would be a great idea to go out and play. It was way too much fun. This car IS a 300hp Snowmobile!

In February my best friend and I took a few pictures after we detailed our cars. His car is a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T 5-Speed.

By the time March came I couldn’t wait for the Blizzak’s to come off. I decided I would do a few performance modifications to further let me enjoy the STi in the summer months. I ordered a Kartboy Short Shifter w/ Kartboy bushings and TiC bushings (directly from TiC). This combination (SS & bushings) is phenomenal. I think it is such a great mod because I am able to enjoy it ALL the time, driving fast, slow, or whatever. After extensive research I also decided to order a K&N Typhoon short ram intake. This intake definitely helped top end power a little bit, but also allowed me to hear some amazing sounds (turbo, waste-gate, etc.). Although there is still some debate about intakes, I am very happy with the Typhoon so far. I had both the SS and Typhoon installed by my Subaru dealer.
Sorry guys, this is the best picture I have:

Now that I have had the STi for a decent amount of time, I thought I was ready for a little more power. Once again, after researching for a while I decided the Cobb AccessPORT was a good choice for me. I didn’t plan on going power crazy, and found the overall features of the AP to be very attractive to my needs. It works perfectly fine with my Typhoon and the increase in power, mostly the increase in torque / spool up, was very noticeable. I will be going Stage 2 with a ProTune hopefully this spring. I can’t wait!!

If anybody has any questions regarding my mods or anything else mentioned in this thread feel free to PM me.

I have a decent amount of mods planned out for the next couple of months, some of which will be completed over my Thanksgiving break in less than 2 weeks :D. I will update my Journal ASAP.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Car looks very nice.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
very nice :)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yo.. you running stage 1 with the accesport??? did you have that at the last meet??
~Tim... Oh hows the Defi's coming along???

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yea man, I did! It’s running fine with the Typhoon as far as I can tell. I had the Typhoon first, so I don’t know what Stage 1 would be like with out it. I am not sure if I should I keep it or change to the APS CAI?
Regarding the Defi’s, I only ordered the Defi Gauge Hood so far. I did not get the Carbon Concepts one because it was a little too much money for me (you’re a lucky guy!) and I have an idea up my sleeve for the Defi one. I will be ordering the Defi's in a few weeks and I think Subaru of Stamford os going to install them for me (Thanks for the recommendation Tim :)). As of now I want to go with Boost, EGT, and Oil Pressure. I am thinking about getting Oil Temp as well and putting the Boost on the A-Pillar. I am also thinking about the TurboXS KnockLite but I am not sure if I need it yet. I will eventually be getting a ProTune after I get my TBE this spring and maybe a few other little mods but I am still working on the details. I will obviously be keeping everybody posted!

·
Premium Member
14,740 Posts
Very nice with the car coming out really nice. Looks like your on your way to a few mods! I have a bunch of mods planned out every month for about 1 year lol. Thats what happens when your bored at work, own a STi, and have access to the internet!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
sebtarta said:
That's my car next to yours, that was at the Marcus Diary meet. :D:D:D

Nice right up, hope to hear more mods in the future.
Haha, Awesome! I can't wait for the Spring / Summer so we can have a lot more of these meets!

Chris05STi said:
Very nice with the car coming out really nice. Looks like your on your way to a few mods! I have a bunch of mods planned out every month for about 1 year lol. Thats what happens when your bored at work, own a STi, and have access to the internet!
Exactly!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
SCHROTH Harnesses!!!

The Schroth Profi II-FE 4-Point harnesses went in today. For everybody that doesn’t know, the Profi II-FE’s have 3” shoulder straps and 2” waist straps. All the points (4 for each harness) bolt directly on using factory seatbelt mounting locations. They way I have them set up (without a harness bar) I can’t use my back seat and the harnesses at the same time. I am not very mechanical so it took me a while to originally figure everything out for the install. All the seats had to come out at one point or another but once I did the passenger side, the driver’s side was easy.
My reaction? They are INSANE! It’s really incredible. The feeling of the shoulder straps holding you in the seat is like an intense roller coaster when those shoulder bars come down over your head. I am pretty damn skinny, 6’2” and weigh 155 pounds :) so the STi’s stock seats were a little big for me, now I cant move AT ALL. I can concentrate 100% on driving and not have to worry about bracing myself against the door or sliding around in turns. I did take a short drive but it wasn’t very intense because it was 28 degrees and I still have the RE 070’s on. After the drive I decided I would use the stock seat belts for another 5 minutes to really feel the difference. The difference is huge. I felt like I wasn’t held in at all. The harnesses are a pain to put on (at least 30 seconds to properly set everything up) but I wait at least a minute after I start my car before I drive anyway, so I have plenty of time.
Let me know if you have any questions or want more details.
BTW, I purchased everything from King of Imports!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is very nice, how did you secure the side straps?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The waist straps are attached to the stock seat belt locations on the font seats. The female side of the stock seat belt is attached directly to the seat and the male end is attached to the floor / side of the car on the outside (the right on the passenger side and the left on the drivers side) behind the carpet. So you after you take off those two bolts you add in the respective waist strap bracket. Is that clear?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
nice harness setup, but remeber that without a rollcage it is dangerous (thats why i only use them at autox events) nice sti :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rac10000 said:
The waist straps are attached to the stock seat belt locations on the font seats. The female side of the stock seat belt is attached directly to the seat and the male end is attached to the floor / side of the car on the outside (the right on the passenger side and the left on the drivers side) behind the carpet. So you after you take off those two bolts you add in the respective waist strap bracket. Is that clear?
Thanks for the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
hmmmm...what could possibly be going on??? :D :D Any guesses?

Oh yea, this too:
hint: more ese!

This is also on its way...its Catless!!:banana: Stage 2 HERE I COME!!!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^ I have a S203 Red Hazard button going in too, i forgot about that...but think MORE S203!

1 - 20 of 668 Posts