IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the bay area and I was wondering if any of you guys or girls know any good racing schools around here. I'm not looking to go pro but I would like an environment where I could learn how to *drive* a car on a track with instruction from someone who knows what they are doing/talking about. The more economical the better. I know I could probably just pick up the yellowpages and find some but I wanted to hear opinions/recommendations from the STi general populace.

Also what are the best tracks to take your STi out to and how much do they cost?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Right on!

I have been to Skip Barber Driving School (there is also the SB Racing School). The difference between Driving School and Racing School is that in Driving School you are liable for any injuries, damage, etc. (hopefully there won't be any!), whereas they assume liablility in the Racing School - however the prices for similar courses were equivalent between the 2 schools when I did it.

Skip Barber runs their courses at many SCCA sanctioned tracks - for me the closest is Road America at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. There have to be at least 2-3 within spitting distance of SF.

It was really a lot of fun, and the instructors were friendly and knowledgeable - can't say enough about them!

I highly recommend them for basic and advanced topics... I think after that, you might want to seek out a driving school for AWD or specifically for Subies...

Certain things I will never forget, such as:
- "If in doubt, both feet out; When you spin, both feet in!" or,
- Steering is kind of irrelevant if you're sliding on your roof :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will be attending the Panoz racing school at Road Atlanta this fall, which appears to be a great course. The cars are race cars, and it looks to have a ton of track time. I will post my opinioins after the course.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just got back from Thunderhill in Willows Ca. Just north of Sac and WELL WORTH THE DRIVE! They have high speed driving schools that are sweeeeeeet. Course is great in the STi, but big displacement still takes you on the straights. Corners are all yours for the taking...no contest. Here's the link: www.thunderhill.com/school.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts