IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Just got our STi 2 days ago. Looks like we have a problem with the engine reving funny.

When at idle, for no reason at all, the engine will go from 500 RPM to 1500 or 2000 for a few seconds, then it drops back to 500. That seems to happen randomly, maybe every minute or so. The A/C is not on, no lights, no sound system. Not sure if the fan starts when this occures, I can't hear it.

Also, I notice that engine speed does not go down immediately when I release the gas pedal. I see that happen when I shift (I've been driving manual trannys for 18 years now, unlikely to be a timing issue). I also feel it when I go down a hill when I'm in gear: lets say I want to use engine compression to slow down, I feel the compression only about 3 seconds after I release the gas pedal. Not sure if this and the idle problem are related.

Did any of you experience these problems?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on the car. ths is a very weird problem and the first i've heard of it. does the car drive normally otherwise? is it responsive to quick throttle presses? i could (but won't)make a fool of myself and generate hypotheses; i have no answers. the car is throttle-by-wire...hmmm. do keep us up-to-date with your steps to a cure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where are the 4 screws for center trim?

Also clong, in my expierence the car seems to be very sensitive to lower octane gas, so make sure you get the highest octane available in your area and keep to the break in schedule.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have also noticed that it takes much longer than expected in the STi for the revs to drop when I change gears. I figured it was just a part of the engine/flywheel configuration. I am used to lower power I4s.

T

·
0 Posts
Yea that doesn't sound normal at all, I would have it checked at the dealer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
While none of us wanted our dealers putting mileage on the cars before delivery was a PDI done on your car? Do you have the copy of the checklist? This sounds like something the tech should have heard, and if it is not your dealer's first STI it is probably something they should have picked up on. I don't think it is anything that those of us with the cars the longest have heard of before. Hopefully your dealer will find it a simple fix, but I would definitely make it their problem. SFRinNJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, thanks for your answers.

I did ask the dealer when I went (for the 3rd time) to get the car aligned. He said that the computer is learning how to behave at high altitude. According to him, they are fatcory adjusted at sea level. We live above 6000 feet (Denver foothills).

Sounds a little suspicious but I'll drive it for a week or two and see how it goes. I don't know if it is in my head but it seems to be getting better. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
clong- curious as to what dealer you are taking your car to. I may have a suggestion and people to talk to for you if you are not getting your problem delt with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Silver/Silver STi available in Pueblo

I bought the car at John Elway in Golden. JJ, that seems to be the closest to you, is it where you go?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Well, I use and recommend Flatirons in Boulder, specifically Bret Carter, their Senior Master Technician. Bret is *THE* man to talk to when it comes to performance Scoobies. I have worked with him and Flatirons for over two years now and wouldn't even think of taking my cars somewhere else. You can request Bret when you call for service too, or ask to talk to him. 303-402-5155 is the direct line to the service department if you are ready to try them.

We use 91 Octane gas from BP exclusively...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine does the same thing when the engine is cold, except it idles constantly in 1.5k-2k rpm until its warmed up. Is this what you are experiencing??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JJ, I'll call Flatiron. Thanks for the advice.

wewu, it not when warming up, it happens all the time, even after hours of driving. Sometimes while I'm stoped, idle looks good and then shoots up to 2K for a few seconds and then goes back down. Most of the time, it is when I'm slowing down to stop (neutral, using breaks).

Anyway, I'll go to a new dealer and see what they think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I experienced the same thing in my STi and I live in Texas. However maybe the RPM response after lifting off the throttle is due to turbo lag? Turbos also take time to spool down.

·
Registered
243 Posts
No no, lag is during the spool up. Spooling down require no work at all (work in the Physics sense). When you're engine breaking it has to do with the engine speed and the tranny speed and the components therein. The flywheel is a huge factor in that, and turbo cars generally have heavier flywheels to keep rpm's up in between shifts and leave you in a good powerband when the turbo won't need a lot of work to produce power.

·
Registered
93 Posts
cool hand made Pewter Subaru keychain

Any of you guys had a problem with your car dieing on you when you come into say a parking lot and you push in the clutch to park and it dies before you have a chance to turn it off? Mine did that a couple times around 1500 miles, but it hasnt done it since and I have 3200 now. I told the dealer about all of them and wrote them down, so if it happens anymore I documented it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to post a follow up on this problem.

The Subaru dealer in Golden told me that they called the tech line and could not get them to return their call or fax. After 4 weeks of waiting, I followed JJ's suggestion and went to Flatiron. They got a hold of the tech line within a few hours. The techies told them to reset the computer to erase all the learning it did since the car was "born". Apparently that they are first "booted" at low altitude, which can cause problems like mine at high altitude. Well, lucky for me, this worked. I've been driving the car daily for weeks and haven't seen the problem.

Another thing to note, the Golden dealer told me that ALL STi's had that problem. You guys said you didn't and the dealer in Boulder said that they had not seen it either. My guess is that the Golden dealer didn't understand the problem or that they wanted me to feel better with my broken car. Either way, I learned my lesson.

Thanks for your help!
Christian.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts