IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving to Albuquerque NM very soon and was wondering if and where there is race gas in town. I'll probably end up running a 91/100+ mix if available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been searching the internet for possible places for you to go but have yet to find one. I go to union 76 stations here in Arizona where they sell up to 114 oct (leaded). And 100 oct at the pumps. But unfortunatly they don't have stations in New Mexico :(.

I will keep searching though and let you know if I come accross anything.

Check out TORCO website. They sell something called Torco Accelorator. It is not an Octane Booster like the NOS stuff you see at the auto parts store. It may be of help to you.

from the Torco website:
"The first and only race fuel manufacturer to produce a real race fuel concentrate that performs like a race fuel. This product is not an octane boost, it is a race fuel concentrate that transforms a 93 octane super no-lead up to a 107 octane race fuel when proper mixing instructions are followed. "

You may have to order it though if you cant find a distributor in your area. But it would be worth it.

You can also try messing around with Toulene and Xylene as well to mix up your own brew. Just be very careful with handling this stuff.

FORMULA 1
Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.
FORMULA 2
Xylene
R+M/2...117
Cost...$2.75/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...97.0 Octane
30%...99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toulene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, I.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toulene and advertised as *race formula*.

FORMULA 3
Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2...118
Cost...$3.50/gal
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 Octane
30%...99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toulene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

FORMULA 4
Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combines with water.

FORMULA 5
Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2...101
Cost...$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...94.5 Octane
20%...Not Recommended
30%...Not Recommended
Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

MAKE YOUR OWN OCTANE BOOST
How to make your own octane booster (this is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products). To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

Disclaimer: this intellectual property is offered to GN/TType owners at no charge. Use it at your own risk. The GN/TType Organization is is not responsible for any damage or problems associated with use of this information. This information is for use by GN/TType owners on their own personal vehicles and may not be used for profit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can find race gas at this small race shop on San Pedro just north of Lomas. It's expensive though, I think $4/gallon for 100 octane. You can get it a little cheaper in Santa Fe for around $3.60/gallon, but then you have to drive up to Santa Fe. I forget the name of the gas station, but it's kind of near the mall off I-25 that contains a bunch of outlets like DKNY, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump for a good thread. Good info. Why couldn't you just add Octane?
Octane rating doesn't mean how much octane is in the fuel but how the efficiently the fuel burns when compressed compared to laboratory tested mixtures of octane and heptane, also since 100% octane has an octane rating of 100 you would never get above 100, so there are other additive that burn better under compression hence the existence of 100+ octane rated fuels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts